Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

Had any encounters with the new Astra VXR ?

Was following an ' 06 ' reg Astra VXR the other day coming home from work, was turning right around a large 2 lane roundabout then onto the outside lane onto a clear dual carriageway, going about 30ish around the ' bout ', knew he was going to boot once on the straight so was covering him in second gear (just for the hell of it :D ) then he floored it so obviously i followed & to my suprise i just about stayed level upto 100 at which point we were approaching traffic & eased off, I honestly thought he would have blew me away from what i've heard about them especially on the straight.....ah yes i remember why i love my ' vr ' so much now..... :lol:

Anyone else any experiences with these?

I havent had any encounrs with a vxr in my c vr6 but if i did and the person in the vxr knew how to drive i think it would make my vr6 look slow especially off the mark ... the vr6 feels fast from 40 to 120 but lacks the instant power a turbo car has got .. The other day a i had a incedent with a chav in a scooby and it was alot faster than my vr off the mark but not so much different at higher speeds .. most of the time i try not to race chavs in fast cars because usualey they dont know their limits or the cars limits ... I only ever drive my car hard late at night or when no one else is on the road because it can get dangerous ...

Think they are about 220/230bhp standard.

A lad on my works yard has had his chipped, supposedly about 290bhp :shock: :shock: . Hes raced another lad on a local duel carriageway who has got a '53 M3 and both of them said that their wasnt much in in till triple figures, so they can be made to go quick :lol:

ive driven one, not bad in a straight line.. thats if you can get it to go in a straight line! the torque steer is ridiculous!

the recaros were very comfy, but the noise of the thing is just horrible. at full throttle it just sounds like dodgy wheel bearings!

Have been up against my mates dad in his VXR (I was in my Leon) and there wasn't much in it... he was a tad quicker off the line than me but I was able to make up for it in the twisties... don't know how much will have been down to driving style but if a VXR will take the leon then I doubt a VR would be all that much of a problem for one!

One of the few vauxhals that I actuely quite like - great styling and nice inside... not sure I could bring my self to own one though :?

Not quite the same but my mate has a Corsa B with a 2.1 redtop in it. Pushing 200bhp now its all runnng correctly.

Made my valver look silly.......

I had exactly the same experience with a VXR off Junc 9 of the M40 on to the A34 towards Oxford. The VXR booted off and I was on his tail, eventually overtaking at 100+ but I think that's because he backed off. I have a Shrick manifold but none the less I was really impressed with how I kept up and came home and looked them up on the net and they are supposed to be 6.1 0-60 from memory. The car I just can't beat is my mates new style Mini Cooper S, that is super quick, even at higher speeds.

Jeeze, i had no idea the new cooper s' were that quick :shock:

They're only punting out around 180bhp aren't they? Has he modded it?

Jeeze, i had no idea the new cooper s' were that quick :shock:

They're only punting out around 180bhp aren't they? Has he modded it?

depending on how new is new..

the cooper s was first launched with 164bhp, this was uprated to 170 bhp late 2004.

the john cooper works versions were 200bhp, uprated to 210bhp.

in november last year the twin scroll turbo version replaced the old supercharger unit, this kicks out 175bhp.

so far, we think the works version will be launched late 2007, however nothings been confirmed yet..

I'm surprised that you havent been able to keep up.. unless its a works version.

It's a new Cooper S with the Peugeot engine with 175bhp. The only answer then is that the VXR wasn't going at full pelt. Believe me when my mate is gunning off the lights next to me it's neck and neck and he nudges ahead at higher speeds. My car has 205bhp and similar torque according to Stealth after the Schrick. I'd love to get them both on Santa Pod against the clock to prove once and for all!

It's a new Cooper S with the Peugeot engine with 175bhp. The only answer then is that the VXR wasn't going at full pelt. Believe me when my mate is gunning off the lights next to me it's neck and neck and he nudges ahead at higher speeds. My car has 205bhp and similar torque according to Stealth after the Schrick. I'd love to get them both on Santa Pod against the clock to prove once and for all!

gaahhh! its not a peugeot engine!

the engine was developed using bmw valvetronic technology, but because of the numbers needed to justify production, MINI have sold the majority to peugeot.

however, as the valvetronic system is patented, they haven't sold the rights to this to peugeot.

this is shown in the fact that the cooper s is pushing 175bhp and the 207gt can only manage 150 from the same unit! :lol:

with overboost, 220lb torque and a six speed box maybe it is a close call..

Not quite the same but my mate has a Corsa B with a 2.1 redtop in it. Pushing 200bhp now its all runnng correctly.

Made my valver look silly.......

Blimey - My 1.2 Corsa couldn't handle the power - must be mighty scary with a 2.1 in it :?