Sign in to follow this  
DubWhiZZ

today i bought a VR - today i broke a VR

VR's are seriously complicated.

I picked up my VR6 from milton keynes today. at first it needed a jump start as the battery was flat. then it needed some fuel, as it was struggling to run. putting some fuel in it made it sing, it was obviously running on fumes at first.

so i took it for a spin to the petrol station and put some unleaded in. 95 ron. i blew the tyres up, well 3 of them.

at this point the car has stopped and started 3 times and the battery is well charged.

i set off to voodoo. on the way i gassed the car a few times. i can now tell why people rave about VR's, theyre strong engines. they sound mint too ;)

i pulled up at voodoo and turned it off and thats pretty much the last time it ran ok.

after chatting to the guys for 10 minutes i went to start it so elie could have a listen to it and the car just wouldnt start. it turned over loads but wouldnt fire. it tried a couple of times to kick but nothing.

we pushed it and it bump started fine, kicked and ran and revved up fine. ran it for a while and it was ok. however when we stopped it and tried to start it again there was nothing.

so in summary, we've got a VR with no spark.

we've swapped the coilpack for one from another VR which we think should work but nothing.

we've checked the leads, and checked the plugs, no spark. connected the king lead to a plug and no spark

we've checked the Crank position Sensor. swapped it for another. cleaned the block so it earths really well.

so from searching and knowledge we're really down to the following...

1/ ecu problem. we think the ECU is fine cos the MAF gets voltage at pin 5.

2/ RElays. think the 109 ECU relay is ok because it clicks when you prime the ignition.

3/ ignition switch? read a few things about this, can't see how it could be this. someone explain what to look at to me?

imo its a spark problem, so we need to trace the spark from source (battery) all the way thgorugh its path to the plugs. we're not 100% sure how to prive the coilpack is doing its job without an oscilloscope so if anyone has any suggestions?

Matt

Doesn't sound like the coil pack mate. That tends to be bad running/running on 5 type feeling in my experience.

I reckon maybe ignition switch or whatever it's called. Both my old golf vr and the corrado had it - starts off doing it ocassionally then gets more and more frequent until eventually it never starts again!

Will probably turn out to something completely different though :)

Good luck.

What Double-6s said. Eventually you'll find it wont try to fire at all despite it ticking over. Cheap part and easy to replace. Worth a try.

yeah, the Ignition switch is a very common problem, and is a cheap fix, so try it first.

it's also a pain as it starts off being a very intermitent problem.

good luck!

Agree with the above... sounds like ignition switch. When mine went.... as above started out as an intermitent fault.... I could sometimes get it to start by wiggling the key in the ignition.

Right pain the the......

replace relay 109, it may click but may have a loose wire inside. Its only about a tenner. Clean the spade connectors before refitting.

hmmm, sorry to disappoint but this isnt a simple fix! oh well...

we managed to narrw it down to a lack of power to the ecu. the 12v line that is supplied by 109 relay isnt sending 12v. spliced a 12v in and still no spark. so were lookin at either a ecu or possibly a dizzy as the dizzy looksa bitfubar. there'll be a thread looking for both the above soon.

ecu is a 021 906 258 A.

dizzy is 021 905 205 af which might have been superseeded with a 237 x code at the end

Matt

Avoid bump starting it mate whatever you do. Its been discussed on here quite a bit that the VR engine doesn't really take well to being bump started.. something to do with it damaging / stretching the timing chains?

VR from MK?? doesnt happen to be a green MK3 with a 2.9 corrado lump??

If its the one on ebay then yes thats sounds like the one matt brought..

apart from the fact it might be a 2.9...

bally you got pm...

Matt

thanks for the posts...

narrowed it down lots today.

theres no spark. there was also no switched live on the red w/ blue wire that feeds 12v to the ecu. frigged this with a wire from constant live. still no spark.

unplugged the CPS. could hear the injectors pulsing when we waved a spanner in front of the CPS. but no spark. so it appears to us to be the spark control side of the ecu.

however, found a sloppy hall sender connector on the dizzy, so looking for a dizzy too.

in total, I'd like to find the following parts to get this car drivable.

ecu 021 906 258 A

dizzy 021 905 205 af

engine loom

pas pump.

I'd also really appreciate someone telling me how i can work out of this is a 2.9 block in this car, as it is bound to make a difference.

thanks,

Matt

apart from the fact it might be a 2.9...

bally you got pm...

Matt

Got yr PM Matt & replied...

thanks for the posts...

I'd also really appreciate someone telling me how i can work out of this is a 2.9 block in this car, as it is bound to make a difference.

replied bally, thanks.

would still like to know if there is an easy way to spot the difference between the 2.8 and the 2.9?

Matt