Sign in to follow this  
cralstc

Which Engine?

Hi all, I would like some advice if possible.

I am doing an engine conversion, I just want more power! I was orginally going to install a 3.2 Audi engine but the bottom end is really worn and I believe it will be very costly to repair at a later stage. Would anybody be able to recommend a different engine for installation, I have looked at the 1.8t from a 225 Quattro TT, but I really want ease of installation and reliablity. I would also like to keep the 6 cylinders. Out of curiousity would the RS4 engine fit? The good thing is I have been saving for a while to actually buy a new engine as I was always going to do an engine conversion and this little engine problem gave me the push I needed.

2244020_78_full.jpg

2244020_80_full.jpg

2244020_79_full.jpg

2244020_81_full.jpg

As you can see I have already pulled the VR6 out of the car and now really stuck for ideas!!!!

The old 2.7 biturbo S/RS4 fits apparenlty, but I've never seen a conversion in the flesh to confirm. A company over here called TSR used to do it, but it was mega bucks!

I'd go with the R32 personally. Fits in easily, good power, reliable and parts for it are plentiful as it's still a current VAG engine.

Or if you've got some cash put aside, why not rebore that 12V lump and stick a turbo on it?! 8)

I have found another 3.2 audi engine, small amount of damage to the oil filler apart from that it looks in pretty good shape! All the other bits and pieces i can easily get hold of.

2244020_82_full.jpg

2244020_83_full.jpg

The guy says there are only 15,000 KMS on it!!!

Can anyone tell me if a vr6 gear box from my corrado will be able to directly bolt onto this engine? the engine code for the 3.2 is BUB and the vr6 is ABV.

I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks!

Yeah, should go straight on as Stan says, there are plenty of FWD R32 VWs kicking about now ;-)

Nice choice of engine. Audi are more generous with the power than VW, so that one should make 250hp or slightly more out of the box - if you use the Audi ECU. More power if you run a standalone ;-)

Excellent!!! Thanks guys!

Ok, cheesewire, you mentioned a stand alone ECU, could you recommend one? I think these are a little expensive are they not?

I think that I will get the engine this afternoon.

Thanks for the help! Will keep you all posted on it.

They are quite expensive, about £900GBP for a good one, such as DTA S80, Emerald, Omex or if you like your luxury goods, then the MoTeC can be yours for a cool £2,500GBP. There are only so many ways you can manipulate sparks and fuel, so go with the circa £900 ones.

It's not a necessity, in fact if you can get ALL of the Audi electronics, that would be preferable for daily driving manners, but there are complications in retro fitting newer VAG electronics to older cars. With the standlalone you junk it all and just focus on the engine and nothing else. The VAG ECU talks to many things (steering wheel, clocks, gearbox, throttle, clutch, brakes etc etc), but it's doable.

sounds like this is really going to be a real pain in the butt! I suppose if it was easy evryone would be doing it. Thanks for the info guys. I am going to go for it!! Will post plenty of pics and more than likely post all the problems! :D

Thanks again

This place is good for sorting problems :wink:

Be sure to read the "definitive 24v into a VR" thread in the engine section mate. Some of the main issues are:

Front engine mount needs to be moved

New exhaust downpipe needs fabricating

Electrics

Clocks - you need the immobiliser from the clocks

Pedals need mounting - DBW

Pretty much everything else fits though.

OK I have bought the engine, but i already have a question. Is it possible to use the original vr6 intake manifold on the 3.2 engine? or could I use a Schrick intake mainfold on it? Just trying to see first of all if it is possible so i would not have to transfer the cooler resovior, bettery ect. to the other side of the engine bay.

Many Thanks.

As far as I know...

Pros and cons of fitting each type of ECU:

Stock ECU

Pros

Cheap(er)

Lots of people have done it

More OEM

VAG-COM will still work

Cons

Modify the pedal box to put sensors on them for the DBW lark

Fit the Mk4 clocks

Haul apart most of the fusebox (I think).

Modify the loom to bypass the built-in immobiliser

Modify the loom to tidily fit the engine bay

After market ECU

Pros

You can have a better engine map from the start

Don't have DBW, so the pedal box doesn't need to be modified

Don't have a stupid built-in immobiliser, so you don't need to fit the Mk4 clocks

Can re-map it any time you like (even while you're driving!)

Cons

You need to swap the throttle for a non-DBW one (don't know what with, but it can be done)

It's more expensive than using the OE stuff

It needs to be mapped before you can use it (you get a base map from the supplier which will work, but it won't be optimal)

Need to make your own loom (not as hard as it sounds and you can buy them, but that's another £160 or so to buy, £75ish to make yourself)

VAG-COM won't work (but you do have a laptop interface to the ECU to tell you most things)

It's not as OEM

As far as manifolds go - I don't think you can fit the 12v ones, but even if you could, you'd be mad to. The 24v manifolds all have the Shrick style dual inlets with flap on them.

You're going to need to get some kind of hybrid thing going on for coolant pipes and moving the resevoir to the left does seem to make sense (not a huge task). I'd be tempted to see what standard pipes you can use, or just get a set of Samcos made up instead. (not cheap at £150 or so, but no more expensive than a set of new VAG ones).

I think the battery can stay put on the right-hand side though.

It might be easier to use the R32's throttle if you use a standalone ECU because most support DBW (it's just a variable resistor at the end of the day), but the difference there is it's autonomous from the rest of the engine / gearbox....AND...you can map it so that it doesn't have the standard ECU's throttle opening of something like 45% for a 3mm pedal deflection!!

You dont need to use mk4 clocks, or strictly modify the loom throughout. you can mod the loom into the back of the existing clocks to overcome the immobiliser, and keep the standard clocks, unless you want to change them of course. I have standard in mine. The only thing is some of the MFA functions dont work ie oil temp, mpg.

Most of the coolant pipes all fit from the 12v engine.

The manifold is better off being the 24v version for the above reasons.

The air filter is fine on the wrongside, and it gives you a nice big space on the other side, wonder what would fit in there??? :twisted:

We used std r32 ecu,loom,mk4 clocks,6 speed gearbox

My c is a 1990 car,Nearly everything on the mk4 clocks work like mfa,temp gauge,some fault codes,the only prob Im having with mine now is the the engine check lite is coming on because the ecu is trying to find the abs which isnt on the car.

Nice with the 6 speeder 8)passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfPicture 612 (Small).jpg[/attachment:6f3b5]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPicture 613 (Small).jpg[/attachment:6f3b5]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture 614 (Small).jpg[/attachment:6f3b5]Picture 615 (Small).jpg[/attachment:6f3b5]

My c is a 1990 car,Nearly everything on the mk4 clocks work like mfa,temp gauge,some fault codes,the only prob Im having with mine now is the the engine check lite is coming on because the ecu is trying to find the abs which isnt on the car.

Nice with the 6 speeder 8)

Yum :)

Hi all!

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the Audi 3.2 engine? As i need to do some serious splicing, I already have the corrado bently book, but need to get hold of the ECU wiring diagrams.

Oh by the way, the engine is now in!!!!!!!!! Cant start it because of the bloody imobaliser, and just really want to get driving the beast.

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers

Hi all!

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the Audi 3.2 engine? As i need to do some serious splicing, I already have the corrado bently book, but need to get hold of the ECU wiring diagrams.

Oh by the way, the engine is now in!!!!!!!!! Cant start it because of the bloody imobaliser, and just really want to get driving the beast.

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers

That was quick!!!!! :shock:

Try sending a pm to phatvr6 on here.

Didn't he .... to paraphrase Elvis... Leave the building... He was on Ed38 at the start of this month, but saying he'd had enough of VW's and was going over to bikes...

Didn't he .... to paraphrase Elvis... Leave the building... He was on Ed38 at the start of this month, but saying he'd had enough of VW's and was going over to bikes...

Didnt know that. PM him anyway.

Hey all I PM'ed him but got no response. Anybody else know where i can find a wiring diagram for a R32. I took photos of the car today but left my camera at my mates house so photos tomorrow!

OK guys and gals!

Here is the picture I promised.

You will need to forgive the wiring i am painstakingly going through every single wire. My aim is to have the engine running and the car drivable by the end of this month.

Stuff still needed to do:

Wiring - :scratch:

replace valve cover (due to damage next to oil filler, plastic inners are not damaged).

Fit A/C

change oil cooler with 13 row cooler.

relocate battery to boot as to make room for airbox.

need new tensioner pully, as didnt notice it was broken and VR6 one wont fit.

Check all oil and coolant hoses for leaks.

wash car! :lol:

2244020_86_full.jpg

Nice with the 6 speeder 8)passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfPicture 612 (Small).jpg[/attachment:817b4]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPicture 613 (Small).jpg[/attachment:817b4]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture 614 (Small).jpg[/attachment:817b4]Picture 615 (Small).jpg[/attachment:817b4]

yay! finally some pics, looking good pants. Get some more pics up

Gav