Sign in to follow this  
samg60

best gearbox

ok , think the diff on the 02a box is starting to whine, changed both front wheel bearings and still high pitched whine which gets higher depending on car speed, doesnt alter pitch on gear change only on car speed,and doesnt change when clutch is dipped, so think it must be the diff.

I need to know which boxes will fit my car, its a corrado g60 with an s3 engine, I am not interested in changing to VR ratios I want a diesel box, either 5spd or six speed (i am guessing it will be 5spd having read the difficulties of fitting a 6spd box) anyhow I need to know what is the latest diesel box I can straight fit to my car, will the mk4 tdi boxes bolt straight up etc, or do i have to go earlier, I want nice long ratios form a diesel that I can later fit a LSD to, and are these boxes strong enough to cope with 350 - 400 bhp.

any help most welcome as I need to start sourcing a new box asap, this will be the thrid box I have killed 8) not the same car though :-)

biggerbigben has diesel ratios not sure if its the full box bolted on and he is running 340bhp.

Maybe give him a PM.

yeah thinking about this box Leon as its very similar ratios to the 020 box I used to run on the g60 and I loved that. Also want to know what all my other options are as there appears to be many mk4 tdi boxes available and these appear to have done reasonably low mileage, I guess these mk4 boxes are 02J although need to confirm this with someone just want the minimum of hassle changing boxes, i guess the other option is to find a 20v 02j box and change eh final drive but to be honest I would prefer not having to open the box for the time being until i can afford a better diff.

Bear in mind torque is the destroyer of 'boxes not bhp.

So even though even the older turbo diesel goofs et al are pretty weedy on the bhp front, they've got oodles of torque and the 'boxes are designed to take it.

Having said that - I know nothing of gearboxes and which one would fit to what :lol:

yeah thats always been one of the reasons for picking diesel boxes, I think the Diffs are built stronger and currently I have 300 ftlbs going through the old g60 box and guess that may be the reason that the strain is starting to show, but with plans in mind to get nearer 400 ftlbs I need to make a good decision on the starting box , even if I do change to an LSD

yeah thinking about this box Leon as its very similar ratios to the 020 box I used to run on the g60 and I loved that. Also want to know what all my other options are as there appears to be many mk4 tdi boxes available and these appear to have done reasonably low mileage, I guess these mk4 boxes are 02J although need to confirm this with someone just want the minimum of hassle changing boxes, i guess the other option is to find a 20v 02j box and change eh final drive but to be honest I would prefer not having to open the box for the time being until i can afford a better diff.

Did you speak to biggerbigben? Whats the difference between the std 20v ratios and the mk4 tdi ratios? I can't help with the use of later 02j boxes and/or whether they need different driveshafts, selectors etc.

I'd fit an atb diff in the replacement box now to save you hassle later - at least thats it done and you can enjoy it now rather than ages in the future. Have you asked on dubforce? not sure theres enough people on here to answer...

02M is the strongest box currently and in MK5 2.0 TDI form, you're getting that box's inherent strength, aswell as 6 diesel ratioed cogs 8)

From what I've found out so far (I'm currently investigating box options too), for the 02M you need a custom gearbox mount from dutchdub, something done to the front mount and some custom driveshafts.

It's a fair bit of work and not cheap, but the pay off is 400lb/ft capability easily, maybe more. I've not heard of a broken one yet..... look at EIP in the states, they've run 1000hp through their R32 turbo and the box held....for how long though is anyone's guess :lol:

Other options are solid billet gear sets from a czech firm, which Bill Schimmel uses on his 700hp+ VR6 turbo cars, or there's the Eurospec gear kits (same as Gemini kits) etc.

These options retain the 02A casing.

Many people run 350-400lb through their VR6 02As without problem though and they have leggy gearing as standard.

With a diff though, you have to watch for accelerating over bumps because it's the regaining of traction after a spin that is the destroyer of 3rd gear.

yeah would go the 02M route if it was cheaper but want a cheapish solution for the moment as I am reluctant to drive the car at the moment

with the whine, having had a diff bolt come loose on an 020 box and blow a hole through the casing, and seen my mates 02A Diff seize otherwise I would wait and save the cash.

as the 02J boxes fit from a 20v no problem I just wondered what differences there were between these boxes and the ones on the 1.9TDI ?

dont suppose anyone can point me towards a spreadsheet with flange and gear ratios for 02J boxes can they ? I had one for all 020 boxes but thats pretty useless now

I'm pretty sure it was BiggerBigBen who said the TDI 02J isn't much stronger than the petrol version and was selling the virtues of the 02M. Have a look in his gallery, I'm sure he's gone into this in great detail at some point.

What gearbox mount are you using? My diff whines like a good un with my Race spec mount, but it's a necessity unfortunately. Enough oil in there?

Tried Redline or Royal Purple oil in it?

Hmmm, yeah 020, 02A, 02J...they all blow diff pins out the side....and without warning....and on standard cars!

Vince was explaining that the VW cup Ventos he used to build blew 3rd gear on the track regularly (standard engine) because of the grip of the slicks....

I think 02M or a stonger gearset is the only permanent solution tbh....

Funny you should say that - I've just fitted Vibratechnics comp front, fast road gearbox and rear mounts - and my gearbox has a very slight whine to it now - feels way way better though.

Well i fitted vibra competition all round and had no noticable whine at all until i went to the pod then after that it only whines on overdrive/off throttle. Back on throttle part or full its not there?

you may have answered my question, as it could be the gearbox mount will check this later, how easy is it to check as the front is easy as hell to see when putting load on but the rear mount ? fornt is vibratechnic but gerabox is standard

I've got a Passat TDI 'box code 'DQY' on my turbo valver at the moment,great 'box and i'm happy with the longish ratios.My corrado is a little sleepy low down the rev range owing to the T3/4 turbo fitted with a .48 exhaust housing,modded exhaust-as-inlet cam and other things but you get used to it,don't think about being a traffic light hooligan by spinning the wheels in first and second,ain't gonna happen.

Much more relaxed motorway criusing when compared to the G60's 'CBA' coded 'box which tops out at 220km/h anyway..

I blew 2 020 'boxes on my old golf 2 T.valver,always stripping 2nd gear when using the GTD's 4T coded 5speed 'box,when i used the O/E 1.8 valver 'box the car would accelerate like a superbike but top out a 135mph.

Personally i would'nt bother using the Golf 3 TDI's 'box(ASD),i think you'll kill all the acceleration and caracter of the valver engine,possibly the 3rd gear off the ASD,5th i think would be too long.

Well i fitted vibra competition all round and had no noticable whine at all until i went to the pod then after that it only whines on overdrive/off throttle. Back on throttle part or full its not there?

Whine is normal. It's Final drive backlash. If there was no whine at all I'd be more concerned.

And no whine on throttle is normal aswell as the gears and bearings are 'loaded' up and transmitting torque.

You should be getting whine with that mount combo as it's what I use too and my box was rebuilt with a quaife diff last year, so I know it's a good un.

You don't mention if your box is rebuilt or not, but no whine could mean the diff bearings were shimmed incorrectly, giving insufficient backlash in the FD.....which you then forced into it at the pod :-)

Well its the same old standard gearbox how it left the factory with 100k on it and not been rebuilt at all.

So would it only be through rebuilding the box that something would not be aligned properly or could it be something as simple as the engine and box been taken out of the car and been split so the engine work could be caried out and then not realigned properly when its been put back in the car?

And what is backlash in the FD never heard of this before.