nemesis360

VR6 rebuild - Downpipe and exhaust tacked up

I really must get my ass in gear and have a run up to your place to have a good look around your motor. It's certainly shaping up nicely.

Spoke to the guy who does the welding on Friday, just to get some ideas of how the short runner manifold could be a folded construction rather than all welded. They should look much better this time around with nice 20mm rads on the corners, may go bigger to go with the smooth look your going for?

No updates at the moment Ive got a few things done but nothing major.

Dave Ill go with your judgement on the intake and I need to pick your brains again at the national day, speaking of which are you up for a convoy? :)

I think i had decided to cut the rain tray off before i saw yours and now its made up my mind i think, can it literally be cut off or what.

I just cut most of it off with a grinder and in the place I couldnt reach with the grinder, I used a dremmel to grind the spot welds out

Just a small update...I have started preping my engine heres a few pics...

Stripped the block of its head and started the cleaning

Corrado92.pdfimage016.jpg[/attachment:3kyja0v7]

I used a grinder with a wire brush attachment to get it to this stage...

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfimage020.jpg[/attachment:3kyja0v7]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfimage019.jpg[/attachment:3kyja0v7]

I have fitted my ARP rod bolts and have got the MK4 chain tensioner and pad ready to go in

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfimage018.jpg[/attachment:3kyja0v7]

image025.jpg[/attachment:3kyja0v7]

More updates soon

Congrats on the win Graham

I first saw this car when i traded in my old low mileage red rado vr6 auto at your place. I really regret doing that, especially as i've ended up with another the same but not in as good nick, but hey, you cant turn back time. You and john took me round to where you had it parked and i first thought, thats not a corrado colour. Wasnt sure whether i liked it or not and i must confess i'm still not sure. I think i like it, but VAG snobbery is making me turn my nose up at a rover paint code........this i must get over as your car looks fantastic and i can certainly see the hard work going into it.

I cant wait to see the changes you are making and am looking forward to seeing the interior unfold. Keep us posted...

P.S. Why a Mk4 chain tensioner????

:lol: I guess the colour is not to everyones taste but its my car so as long as Im happy with it Im sure Ill cope :D

The MK4 chain tensioner and guide dont wear out and fall to bits dropping fragments into the engine, so a worthwhile mod all round.

:lol: I guess the colour is not to everyones taste but its my car so as long as Im happy with it Im sure Ill cope :D

The MK4 chain tensioner and guide dont wear out and fall to bits dropping fragments into the engine, so a worthwhile mod all round.

I think the colour really suits it, and i love the route your going down with it. We see so many wearing bbs's etc it makes a refreshing change to see something fresh.

Is the mk4 tensioner just a straight swap then? I'll be doing this soon so any info would be great, dont happen to have the part numbers needed do you???

Here you go chap

1 x Bolt, tensioner for Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 507B

1 x Tensioner, Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 509E

These just replace the standard top tensioner and pad, for the rest of the parts just use standard 12v stuff.

Whos doing the work for you?

Here you go chap

1 x Bolt, tensioner for Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 507B

1 x Tensioner, Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 509E

These just replace the standard top tensioner and pad, for the rest of the parts just use standard 12v stuff.

Whos doing the work for you?

Cheers Graham

Thats great, i'll get them then, how much were they?

I'm gonna be doing the work myself. Got a couple of mates who are really good with a set of spanners to give me a hand, bought myself a decent tool kit from halfords so this is going to be my first engine out rebuild. I'm not shy of getting my hands dirty and i reckon it'll all come apart easily enough, and then i've got my mates to help me put it back together. I'm looking forward to learning more about mechanics, i ideally one day would like to beable to do all the work myself on my car so i dont have to really on expensive garage bills.

I'm gonna get around to starting a project thread soon so keep your eyes peeled.

Its all painted up now Im just waiting to get it back from the painters, Ill get so pick up soon...now Ive got the head ache of hiding everything :cuckoo:

Update time.....Ive had a bit of a night mare with the car recently, I went to collect the car from the painters and noticed some of the paint was reacting on closer inspection the car hadnt been prepared properly and the paint was flaking off :bad-words: they offered to do the work again but Id lost faith with them, so I took the car away and decided to do the work myself, heres a few pics of progress so far.

Looking very good mate, can't wait to see it all being built up..... so what do you think? 2 weeks and it'll be done? 8)

2 weeks would be a bit tight an extra couple of days will cover it :lol:

Itll take however long it takes to make sure everythings right...theres no point cutting corners now :)

POR-15 and other spray pics look awesome! Sorry to hear you had problems with the bodyshop, that is my worst nightmare. I could never do bodywork myself.

coming along nicely mate, and i'm sure you will do an excellent job of the painting 8)

and cheers for the info you sent me, it will help me massivley :wave:

Thanks for the nice comments chaps :)

POR-15 and other spray pics look awesome! Sorry to hear you had problems with the bodyshop, that is my worst nightmare. I could never do bodywork myself.

The POR sprayed really well I just thinned it out with some solvent, its stuck like s**t to a mohair blanket :lol: The body prep's not that bad it just takes a lot of time and Ive been doing it on my lunch breaks....so its taking forever :brickwall:

cheers for the info you sent me, it will help me massivley :wave:

No problem at all mate give me a shout if you need anything else

Blimey Graham, when you get the bit between your teeth you really go for it! Nice work.

Good to see all the underside bits getting the treatment, well worth the extra effort. Will look really clean underneath too.