Sign in to follow this  
foster

Help please!

Hi first of all im sorry my first post is asking for help but without the car running i cant really say much about it!!!

Bought it yesterday, its a k reg 2.0 16v. Ive been having problems getting it to start. The starter motor works but the engine wont start. It does start but is very random and it takes a lot of attempts. Im not very mechanically minded so is there anything simple i can try?

ta

alex

and now i notice its in the wrong forum. Sorry. :(

Not sure what it could be on valvers, but essentially if the engine's turning over ok then you need to check that you've got fuel and a spark.

Also moved to engine bay for you :)

Not sure what it could be on valvers, but essentially if the engine's turning over ok then you need to check that you've got fuel and a spark.

Also moved to engine bay for you :)

How would i check for a spark?

seems to happen if the engines warm/ just been out for a run. It just started first time from cold.

The easiest way to check for a spark on a valver is to take a plug out, re-attach the lead, place it on your manifold and get a mate to turn it over briefly. Obviously don't touch it but you should be able to visibly see it and also hear it click as it fires.

It could be loads of different things but If you narrow it down a touch then you should get more then enough help on here.

my theory is- its the immobiliser. does the immobilser engage when you turn off the ignition or when you lock the door? My car has a plug type thing you insert into the dash twice to turn off the immobiliser.would the engine even tick over if the immobiliser was on?

Most immobilisers activate about thirty seconds after the ignition is turned off, If it was the cause then your starter moter wouldn't turn over as stated in your first post. You'd be amazed how often it turns out to be the ignition switch on cases like these so change that first. Easy and cheap job with a step by step guide on the wiki. You'll also find alot of information by doing a search and reading related threads. Good luck