Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Polo G40

buy it if you can............they'll be highly collectable as there was only seemingly 500 sold in the UK,very tuneable too

any more details of it tho??............as you have to be registered to view the link :(

If you do decide to go for one, and if you consequently decide to tune it, I believe you need to seriously consider upgrading the brakes. I think its the Polo G40 that basically uses the standard miniscule brakes from other versions of the Polo's - and as the G40 is quite quick, its a recipe for disaster without suitable braking to match the grunt!

yeah, i'm sure its a really genuine car, have seen the guy post quite a bit about the car since he got it.

I don't think i'll be buying one anytime soon, i'll stick with the corrado, only just got a pug 306 as a runaround anyway :lol:

I had a fettled G40 for a while, if you're just interested in excelleration then they're awesome cars tbh and they sound awesome, allthough like Jim says - the brakes are a nightmare and mine had a rear disc conversion. Obviously if you're buying one you need to check the history of the charger which seems to have been left out of that description.

Great cars, for sheer fun I would pick my G40 over any of the Corrado's I have owned, untill I have to press the brake pedel :shock: :lol:

The brakes are basically Mk1 GTI (239 vented discs up front, drums at the back, standard Polo's had 239mm solid discs), they can be vastly improved by uprgading to a mk2 16v (22mm) master cylinder and braided lines, you can also fit any front brake upgrade designed for the mk1 GTI.

Its rumoured that there are less than 300 RHD ones left now, so they are getting rare enough.

I'm tempted to buy a second one before they get more rare.

I still can't get how there was only approx 500 sold in the UK.............fair enough when they first came out they were a tad expensive£11k+ IIRC,but i remember in their last year or so they had a massive price cut and were for sale for under the £10k mark new(£9995 IIRC)

It had the decision of my Rado or a G40, i had £2k to spend so it was within budget. Obviously i choose the rado, but i do sometimes wish i'd gone for the polo. The mk3's can look so good with little effort, and they go well too

I still can't get how there was only approx 500 sold in the UK.............fair enough when they first came out they were a tad expensive£11k+ IIRC,but i remember in their last year or so they had a massive price cut and were for sale for under the £10k mark new(£9995 IIRC)

They were £11,568 at their launch, the UK production run was only ever to be of around 500, but they had problems even selling them, there are a few that were found in the late 90's unregsitered.

Sure never mind them only selling 500ish in the UK, they only managed to sell 2 in Ireland, the funny thing is they were not even uk spec ones, they actually bothered with a different spec for here, and only managed to sell 2 :lol:

I remember taking a 2yr-old one for a test drive about 93/94 and being pretty impressed tho at the time I had my 924S so didn't want to lose creature comforts like E/W's and PAS

Electric windows were a little known dealer fit option, mine has them along with remote central locking, PAS was never available, and I doubt it would be possible to fit it, doesnt really need it though.