Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

UK's most dangerous roads

Don't know if anyone else has scoped this yet...

UK'S MOST DANGEROUS ROADS

- A682 from junction M65 in Lancashire to A65 at Long Preston, North Yorkshire

- A54 Congleton to Buxton, Derbyshire

- A683 from junction 34 on the M6 to Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria

- A62 from Diggle to Huddersfield, Yorkshire

- A671 from Burnley to A59 at Whalley, Lancashire

- A653 Dewsbury to junction 28 of the M62 south of Leeds

- A1079 from Market Weighton to Kingston upon Hull

- A53 Leek to Buxton

- A726 from junction 3 of the M77 to Paisley in Renfrewshire, Scotland

- A46 from Market Rasen to Grimsby

They're all miles from me, so just wondered other Forum member's opinions... do any of you use them?

Full story at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6235058.stm

Unsurprising about the A53/54 both used as rat runs from the M6 and both run over the Peak District...

On a good day lovely roads... until you come round a bend to find an Polish Artic in the middle of the road....

on a bad day... wet/cloudy/foggy/icy/snowy... Surprised the A537 (Cat & Fiddle) isn't on there either... Some of the highest A-roads in Britain...

A53 and A54 are a favorite for bikers, I suspect that they account for a lot of the accidents, having said that I drove the A54 towards Lancashire a week last Sunday and it was surprisingly quiet...it's one of those roads that swoops and curves as it goes through the Derbyshire dales towards south Manchester, I wouldn't like to meet heavy wagons coming the other way though !

I've used the A671, A682 and A683 quite a few times over the past few months and can't say they've seemed any more dangerous than a lot of other roads in Lancashire. What the media hasn't mentioned is that those roads are very popular with bikers for their good scenery and sweeping bends, unfortunately a minority of them ride like loonies, make a mistake and end up as fatalities.

dangerous roads - can be found anywhere. I dont feel safe anywhere anymore. Drove past a girl last week, on a duel-carridgeway, who with one hand was holding her mobile while with the other she was gesticulating to whoever she was talking to - completely in her own world - "look mommy, no hands !"

IMO, there are no-such things as dangerous roads....just dangerous drivers

I leave nearish to the cat & fiddle rd and its knob head drivers that cause the probs from what ive seen when drivin on there

All the roads in Worthing need to be added to the list too. They're all full of purple-rinsers who can't even see over the wheel, let alone drive properly.

And to make matters worse they report you to the police when you overtake them cos they're doing 10mph!! :mad:

How come all the dangerous roads are ooop north?

Can we deduce from this that southerners are better drivers than out northern friends? :lol:

That list is missing the A140 between Needham Market and Norwich. Never been along it without seeing an accident.

I thought half the accidents in east anglia consist of people driving off the road into fenland drains, never to be seen again, probably why they don't end up in the statistics.

How come all the dangerous roads are ooop north?

Can we deduce from this that southerners are better drivers than out northern friends? :lol:

no, the roads are so congested down south it's difficult to get up enough speed to hurt yourself.

dangerous roads - can be found anywhere. I dont feel safe anywhere anymore. Drove past a girl last week, on a duel-carridgeway, who with one hand was holding her mobile while with the other she was gesticulating to whoever she was talking to - completely in her own world - "look mommy, no hands !"

Stu that's nothing... When I was 'Repping (and any-one who drives for living will Id with this this) I'd reulary see people on the Motorway/ A roads drinking coffee, talking on the mobile, smoking a fag, looking at a map book.. and all at the same time whilst steerin with their knees.... Not taht I ever did.. I always pulled over a service stations to do that sort of thing and kept my hands at 10-to-2 on the, never crossing my arms.. etc... :lol:

To be honest I think being 158 years old and only 4 feet tall (old gits around here) has more of a detrimental effect on driving than reading a map/smoking a fag/etc.

To be honest I think being 158 years old and only 4 feet tall (old gits around here) has more of a detrimental effect on driving than reading a map/smoking a fag/etc.

Not that you're biased Will?

Maybe you should move out of "God's Waiting Room" if you don't like old people? ;)

Not that you're biased Will?

Maybe you should move out of "God's Waiting Room" if you don't like old people? ;)

Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than that mate. I can't afford to go back to hove where I lived previously, as the ex-wife cleaned me out money wise :(