Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Roll cage overkill

looks a bit daft imho!! Looks like a giant spiders web at first glance! :lol:

That's absolutely ridiculous, but I have to admit total respect for whoever managed to weld it all in there as it looks an absolute nightmare !

It looks like only a half cage. I can't make out ay bars running to the dash. Doubly pointless....

He's probably French - not that it makes it any more excusable

Nope they're German! had a quick poke round the site, looking at the pics as I don't Sprechen die Deutsch..... It seems like a "Club Frame" have a look at the Mk3 white Squareback which has a similar Orangutun enclosure in the back...

I think it's fair to say that's pretty pointless. A mod just for the sake of it is never a good thing. That adds nothing to the car.

I think it's fair to say that's pretty pointless. A mod just for the sake of it is never a good thing. That adds nothing to the car.

I would have said it probably adds about 30kg actually :lol:

But it is totally pointless - it's not a full cage, it's not welded into the chassis and it's chrome plated, thus must also be the wrong grade of steel to be FIA spec :roll:

I have to say it would be interesting to see that car on track, what with a practically rigid rear end and no strengthening up front. I wonder if it would break in half at the bulkhead ? LOL

How do the passengers get in?

Well it looks like none of the cage actually extends forwards of the B-pillar, so loads of room to get into the passenger seat :lol:

How do the passengers get in?

Well it looks like none of the cage actually extends forwards of the B-pillar, so loads of room to get into the passenger seat :lol:

Still no door handles though :wink:

Have never been a fan of rollcages on road cars

They do serve two useful functions though, increased roll over protection and increased shell rigidity.....but these days, like so many other items born on the race track, they become just another 'accessory' for cars driven around at 25mph at a 'cruise' innit, propa wikkid man....

There is far too much shiney pointless cr@p kicking around these days!

they become just another 'accessory' for cars driven around at 25mph at a 'cruise' innit, propa wikkid man....

That made me laugh :lol:

they become just another 'accessory' for cars driven around at 25mph at a 'cruise' innit, propa wikkid man....

That made me laugh :lol:

Me too, Rob you'll never need one of these as you don't get much above 30 swerving from pot-hole to lumpy bit of tarmac! ;)

Kev, as they're not actually tied into the fabric on the car (infact not even within walking distance) wouldn't you say the car's less safe in an accident? Wouldn't like to think what would happen to one of these Chromed Ape cages in a roll over...

Would be like sitting in an exploding scaffolding factory!