Sign in to follow this  
H9 DUB

What ARB's would you recommend

you have to try both - I don't believe its a case of what is better - its what matches your preference and driving style. I have tried the rear only then both front and rear - and (for me) having both is far better - the difference/improvement was quite noticable. try it for yourself

ive also heard that just a rear arb only is better on a fwd car, however as said it depends on driving style, a mate has just fitted a group n rally suspension setup to his 205 gti, and god blimey it handles, surprisingly its only something like 30 mil lower, which according to the race car company he works for who setup track cars etc say that is the ideal height and low enough, due to being too low you can make the handling worse, im not sure about the ideal height setting for a corrado tho, does anybody have any ideas, i know mines low on 17's but does handle nice although ive not really pushed it yet lol.

he has also just put an uprated rear arb on and aparantly the difference is the same as fitting the suspension again, the only problem is you can go round a bend bloody fast but youve got to keep youre foot IN else it turns into a drift car if youve pushing the grip limit.

hope that helps/makes sense and isnt just waffle

what do people find is the best setup for a rado, i.e. wheel size, tyres, suspension, arb's, poly or standard bushes etc, mines a kr btw if people find the engine makes a big difference.

Ash

Big rear ARB on the VR6 only - It's not a rule set in concrete, but the primary reason for suggesting it is because the VR6 already has a sizeable from bar from the factory at 20mm. The 4 pot Corrados have a smaller 18mm one. The Eibach front bar is 22mm for both platforms, so will have more of an effect on the 4 pot cars. With the VR6 having a natural tendency for understeer anyway, fitting just an uprated rear ARB (+ rear strut brace for further turn-in improvements) reduces the nose heavy feeling quite substantially.

The secondary reason is personal preference. I find a pair of uprated ARBs on the VR6 induces premature understeer out of tight turns. Just the back one gives the car a more tail lead attitude, which I prefer.

On the 4 pot Rados, the much lighter nose weight means you can run a bigger front ARB without as much plough on understeer as the VR.....but it's swings and roundabouts...the VR's nose weight facilitates good traction off the line and with a quaife LSD, the grip is awesome out of tight hairpins.

Other than the silly bar welded into the rear axle, which does practically nothing, the Corrado never got a rear ARB as the Germans played it safe with understeer. This is why when you fit a proper ARB to the trailing arms, people feel the difference immediately.

Ashley, your mate's Pug sounds spot on and he's gone the right way about it.

Yep lowering too much fecks the handling. It's all about suspension travel. The wishbones need to be lower than parallel at rest, which on a Corrado is around a max of 25-30mm lowering too. The amount of gap between the tyre and arches on the factory settings maybe unsightly, but it will enable you to travel over bumpy B roads a lot faster than some "scene wagon" slammed onto it's bump stops.

As for wheels and things, it's a personal thing again. 17s feel a little more responsive in the turns, but don't help the ride quality much!

im still waiting to be taken out in the pug but it sould be fun

looks like once ive sorted the clutch master cylinder problem ill be looking at getting a rear or possibly a pair of uprated arb's, which should hopefully pair up nicely with the fk konigsports and 205 40 17 rubber that are already on the car

which one's do people recommend

what are peoples opinions on poly bushes as well, do you find they make good improvements and which ones would you go for, ive been looking at the red one's gsf do as my mate is quite impressed with them after we fitted them to his mk2 golf.

Ash

how do the rear ARB's mount on to the axle? is it a case of drilling extra holes and just bolting it to the side of the axle? just trying to work it out in my head . . . has anyone got any pics of one fitted?

They bolt on to the bottom of the suspension, and there are clips to go round the axle.

There is pics, and an install guide here

Kev - you've given a very balanced and fair review there - as usual fella. :)

I would still say to people to try both front and rear before discounting the front altogether. Keep the original item and return to it - you won't find out for yourself any other way. I've said this in another thread, Kev has given his opinion based on his own experiences and personal preference. By copying it you're just following his preference, that may not necessarily match your own otherwise. You'd be best to do what he (and others including myself) did and try it for yourself to see what works best for you. We don't all run the same setups unless everyone copies one person either...

Just my 2p (and last time I'll say it!)

On my G60 i run 25mm front and rear Neuspeed items. It does feel a litle understeery with the rear on the middle setting when pulling too hard out of a corner, but for the most part its spot on, so going to try it on the stiffest, and set the rear dampers slightly stiffer, its as said all about trial and error.

Agree with cheesy though in the wet on roundabouts its useless, a combination of the roll bars, falken front tyres and too much power.

I have the 22mm front and 25mm rear, rear dampers set to stiff, front dampers medium - seems to cancel out a lot of understeer, rear follows the front very well. no complaints to be honest. just need stiffer springs to remove more body movement. also going to try braces next. and lose that oem rear bush set

Has anybody tried the 28mm rear bar?

Most likely cheesy can answer this :) How is it going to affect the ride with the 25mm front?

My mate has the 25mm front / 28mm rear Neuspeed setup on his MK4 GTI, plus Eibachs and Koni FSDs.

Now, the MK4 is normally a nice riding car even when uprated, the younger stiffer shell helps as does the better platform / less rattley interior etc.......but I felt this setup was a bridge too far!

It's all personal preference at the end of the day though. He doesn't mind the crashy ride and iffy cornering on bumpy bends (ARBs increase spring rate when the car leans) but it would do my loaf in.... and mine is faster than this cross country with the stock front bar and 25mm rear Eibach :)

Cheers Kev although i dont think its put me off, some point im going to try that set up as i will still have the 25mm rear to change back to if its that bad.

I know you might say to get the same feel of more rear oversteer by changing to the 22mm front but as it stands at the mo i like the front how it is albeit it sometimes feels a little understeery. Hence why im thinking of a 28mm. I just dont want to lose balance i have on the front as it suits my style of driving.

Kev you mentioned before that on a wet roundabout say, it will understeer, which thats when mine is then noticable how do you think it would fair with the proposed 28/25, worse/better than now?

on the fitting instructions it mentions you can move the brackets one way to increase oversteer, and the other way to increase understeer???

does anyone know much about that?

Yes i have the adjustable Neuspeed but i dont think it will do enough for me, but i will be trying before i spend on a new bar. I could get the same by stiffening the rear shocks also but it would be unbearable on the great british roads then and would slow me down.

Yeah if you like how the 25mm front behaves, your best bet is to fit the 28mm rear to restore the balance again. Try it on the middle setting.

If you still get understeer, have a rethink of your tyres and / or geometry.

Have you got a quaife diff? They are perfect for killing understeer mid bend ;-)

Kev sometimes i used to think "he thinks he knows all there is to know about everything" and i must say 99% of the time you are right. :lol: :thumb right:

I currently have the rear on the middle setting still not tried the stiffest yet, but i will do when i have the time to do it. The geometery has been set up and the front really digs in the corners nicely already, i was talking to somebody yesterday about this problem and the same conclusion was drawn regarding the diff, just waiting till funds allow a new box and associated diff.