Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Some W***ER scratched my car

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

There are 2 other scratches on the driver's rear quarter panel but this is the deepest. I was wondering, instead of having to respray the whole door, would I be able to "fix it" using touch up paint etc etc? Has anyone tried this? Can anyone give me any tips or perhaps help me out in person?

thats bad!, probably chavs or some jealous person. looks like keys too

why do they do it man!

wish i could help u out , but am clueless on paint!

If you want a very good finish then you would need to touch it up, wet sand it then polish it.

Basically what you do is touch it up with a paint/lacquer mix until the paint is raised above the original paint. Leave it over night to set. Then using about 2500-3000 grit wet sand paper (soaked for about an hour in soapy water) and a flat backing plate, gently sand it down flat. Then once you have a flat finish you need to machine polish the sanding scratches out using a compound polish on usually a wool pad or at least a cutting pad, followed by a finishing polish on a finishing/polishing pad and that will do it.

There are guides and videos showing how to wet sand on detailing world.

HERE for example

Bastards man.. utter toss pots... I give up! :o

Some people just need shooting!

Sorry to hear this lad.. hope you get it sorted out... :?

herisites: Thanks a lot for that, I'm glad you gave positive words there, gives me hope I sort it out myself rather than fork out hundreds getting it sprayed again.

ninoG60 and Fizz : If only I knew who did it...

herisites: Thanks a lot for that, I'm glad you gave positive words there, gives me hope I sort it out myself rather than fork out hundreds getting it sprayed again.

No worries mate. It might not turn out perfect but it will certainly improve and i have seen examples of touch up wet sanding that look as close to perfect as you could get, most commonly with stone chips but scratches have been done.

One advisory though is if you are not experienced with machine polishing with highly abrasive compounds etc then you may want to get someone else to do it as you could very easily burn through the paint and foobar it up. There are a few guys on edition 38 that can do it if you go on there much and you may get lucky and have someone near you who are willing to do it for a few pints or atleast fairly cheap. Also you may need to take into consideration that if you were to do that you may need to keep polishing as otherwise you will have a really shiny patch and the rest dull. Wet sanding actually flattens the orange peel effect in the paint from factory, so that area is always going to look better than the rest of the panel/car when done.

Only other option rather than respraying is to get it smart repaired of course but again looking qite expensive and as a guy who spends time looking at my own paint :roll: i have seen smart repair work and where they spray it its very dull compared to the rest of the panel so wont look too great really. A lot of detailers actually correct smart repair work by wet sanding it back and polishing up.

Should I get "Touchup bottle", "Aerosol spray paint" or "Paint pen" ?

Would I definitely have to machine polish it? Since its a small area, would I not get away with doing it by hand but use proper abrasive and obviously take it easy to start off with?

Oh dude that's harsh :(

I'd definitely give your local chipsaway type guy a call (Yellow Pages should have a few listed) and get them to come and have a look. I'd imagine it's the kind of thing they can probably sort out for under £100.

That's rotten, Dr F. Our home town always had a number of sad, nasty b####### like anywhere else, unfortunately. :(

Personally I believe that if you attempt to repair it yourself, unless you have a talented artistic touch, you will never be hapy with the finish.

As suggested already, get a couple of estimates from pros who touch up paintwork.

All the best!

Should I get "Touchup bottle", "Aerosol spray paint" or "Paint pen" ?

Would I definitely have to machine polish it? Since its a small area, would I not get away with doing it by hand but use proper abrasive and obviously take it easy to start off with?

Definately cant do it by hand mate, you would need arms like Arnie just to make a slight difference, it needs to be done proeprly else the finish is left worse than before because you dont cut it back far enough.

It can even be done wrong by machine polishing, for example a Porter Cable (very popular with beginners as its an orbital/dual action polisher therefore doesnt generate as much heat as a rotary and so is safer to use, but takes longer than a rotary) isnt good enough to remove sanding marks fully so you need a rotary, and even then you still need to use a highly abrasive polish with a high cutting pad (wool pads are most cut without generating too much heat)

Here are some very good videos from the guy at Meguiars in America, there are 5 parts but these 3 show what i mean.

- This starts off showing basic tehcniques on how to use a rotary polisher and other basic stuff but towards the end he starts going into wet sanding, he explains how to do it and whats best to use.

- This one actually shows him wet sanding it and then start to machine polish it out, he explains the use of a wool pad and compound polish etc. Then he starts talking about moving on to polishing it to bring up the shine.

- In this one he actually starts polishing it to bring the finish up, but mainly in this one he shows that a PC is not up to the task of removing sanding scratches as it doesnt generate enough heat like a rotary does (about 7 minutes in). And thats using an abrasive polish (more abrasive than Scratch-X but not very abrasive in machine polishing standards) and by machine and it doesnt do enough so working by hand you will never get a good finish.

Like said really, by all means if you want to tackle it yourself and you have a polisher then go for it, but i would get a scrap panel and practice first before tackling your own car. Otherwise i would just get quotes to get it done properly. And like i said before, there are guys on Editon 38 who do this as part of their detailing business and travel all over the country so they might do you a good deal being fellow dubbers.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

NOOOOO!!!

i hate this type of this, has deffo been done on purpose, looks wobbly

where was the car at the time?

NOOOOO!!!

i hate this type of this, has deffo been done on purpose, looks wobbly

where was the car at the time?

:shock: I agree, there is no way that was done by accident. Fupping backstards! :mad:

Funnily enough it was at a "car cruise", a few forums around Scotland had gotten together and decided to meet up in Dundee, I took my car along and thats where it happened, the place you would least expect it to happen.

herisites: I definitely want to try it myself first, this is something I really do want to do myself for some strange reason. I will get a rotary and practise on a scrap panel and see how I get on, thanks a LOT for the help mate.

Unfortunately I dont frequent the Edition 38 forums so it might be a little cheeky asking for a sort of "dubbers discount", but I'll keep them in mind, lol.

craigowl: Being a dentist, I'm extremely steady with my hands and I'm a bit of a perfectionist which is why I feel I can at least try and tackle it. If I'm not happy then I'll pay for it but I do want to try it myself.

Thanks for the words people

Dr Forinor said - Being a dentist, I've extremely steady with my hand and I'm a bit of a perfectionist which is why I feel I can at least try and tackle it. If I'm not happy then I'll pay for it but I do want to try it myself.

Thanks for the words people

Yes, did think of that, Dr F.

Perhaps if you catch the perpetrator of the crime you can also carry out some grinding down of his teeth to the gums with an unsteady hand! :evil: :)

Perhaps if you catch the perpetrator of the crime you can also carry out some grinding down of his teeth to the gums with an unsteady hand! :evil: :)

Haha, oh how I would love to do that...

And yeh, does anyone know if I should get the "Touchup paint bottle", "spray can" or "paint pen" ?

Doc, not seen you in ages mate!

your still around then? how's the teeth pulling going?

sorry to see what those idiots did to your car, maybe try and stonechip repair company, they might be able to give you some ideas?

Hey Therapor, how are you?

Lol, teeth pulling ok, all becoming routine now. Yeh I think I'll give Chipsaway a call and see what they make of it aswell... after I try it myself, lol.

have you asked Jedi-knight83 off here?

he was very knowledgable about scratches when mine was done

after dog attack

pic1279.jpg

after nath

JimsVR68.jpg

have you asked Jedi-knight83 off here?

he was very knowledgable about scratches when mine was done

Yeah he wet sanded it down and then machine polished it. I dont think he needed to touch up any of yours though did he as it was only clear coat scratches?

Does anyone know what I should get, paint bottle, paint pen or spray can?

Would VW be the best place to get the paint from or somewhere else?

Will I need anything else on top of the paint like laquer or anything?

Does anyone know what I should get, paint bottle, paint pen or spray can?

Would VW be the best place to get the paint from or somewhere else?

Will I need anything else on top of the paint like laquer or anything?

I think VW is your best bet, ask for a touch up kit for your colour and whatever they give should do the trick.

There are mixed views on whether lacquer is needed or not, on some of the stone chip repairs i have seen done the guys have just used single stage paint to fill it in, then wet sand and polish etc and you could really tell the difference. But i have also heard of guys putting lacquer on as well. I think for stone chips singe stage is good enough but i think with a scratch like that you might need to lacquer it as well. I will try and find you for you.

HERE is a good guide showing how to repair stone chips. The guy used paint AND lacquer for these and the results are superb, you woudlnt even know there were any stone chips there. So i would imagine you would do the same with your scratch, but he doesnt say how much paint followed by how much lacquer which is a bit disappointing but he says that it needs to be above the original paint lave so im guessing maybe fill the scratch level with the paint, then put lacquer on it so its raised above the original paint level perhaps??

He also reckons you can polish it out by hand using 3M compound which is very abrasive, but i reckon it would be hard work and dont think you would get the same finish you could get from a machine polisher personally.

Thanks for that herisites, I've already bought Poorboys stuff so hopefully that will help, they haev a very abrasive compound too, shall see how I get on.

Before

IMG_6495.jpg

After

IMG_6790.jpg

This is what I've ended up with, I've used paint and laquer and then wet sanded it down and then buffed it quickly, but the touchup paint is nowhere near matching the original paint.

Anyone any ideas why this has happened? How can I fix this?