Sign in to follow this  
s.w.blackwell

knocking Noise, is my driveshaft gone?

Hi all

Well as days go on my first week of corrado ownership has been a busy one!

My latest (and most worring trouble) is a knocking noise under acceleration, Ive had wheel bearings replaced and its still there. I had another crawl under the car and i notice i have side to side play on my OS driveshaft (the skinny one) a good 30-40mm, nd if you shove it it clunks on the wheel side.

I disconnected the gearbox end but couldnt get the shaft down to check it.

Can someone check if this amount of side to side movement is normal for me please?

Thanks all

By side to side play, do you mean plunging movement as in pushing the shaft in and out of the joints or rotational free play?

By side to side play, do you mean plunging movement as in pushing the shaft in and out of the joints or rotational free play?

In and out, rotationally they seem ok. if i push the shaft into the wheel CV it knocks against something.

Thanks

I don't know about in the UK but here you can get rebuilt axles for $75 or 38 pounds. Personally I like the OEM CV joints because they are stronger but if you aren't doing anything crazy you should be able to get away with some standard replacements.

So for under 100 pounds you could replace both axles in under 2 hours. This is also a great time to install new ball joints, tie-rod/ends, front brakes, suspension bushings, and or suspension.

Is the hub nut done up tight mate? My DS wheel or drive shaft was loose and making a knocking noise, and had play in a side to side manner like you describe. Turned out the hub nut was not on even vaguely properly (I won't name the garage) - once done up all the lateral play was gone.

Worth a check.

Is the hub nut done up tight mate? Worth a check.

The hub nut tight, i checked that. ive been quoted £78 for a new shaft (reconditioned) might just get that fitted and see what happens.

Thanks for the response so far.