Sign in to follow this  
Tommo DJ

Changed Cylinder head and gasket now not running!

Hi guys. I recently replaced the head gasket on my g60 corrado. When i first started it up it was running fne for about 5 mins then the engine conked out :shock: . I had a go at turning over the camshaft by hand and it seemed a bit tight so i took the rocket cover off and loostened the cams a bit by putting some aluminium under the clamps(very thin). this loostened off the camshaft so it would turn over. i put it back togehter and tried to start it again and nothing :( . I have checked compression levels and they seem ok. checked plugs for spark and they ok, fuel pump is working, battery seems fine, timing ok, changed the fuel. I run out of ideas so any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tommo

If the cam has gone tight, I suspect you may have fitted the head gasket upside down. Is the tag with "OBEN" or "TOP" showing to the left (as viewed looking at the head) of the centre oil return drain gallery? If it is to the right and the writing is upside down (viewed with a mirror) you will have damaged the head and cam. This will mean either fitting a new head and cam or having the head machined for insert bearings and a new cam, although undersize I/D insert bearings are available for a machined down cam.

image-upload-83-766529.jpg

I'm pretty sure it on the right way round. the bearing caps wont clamp down in any other order. tried that already.

What made you try turning the camshaft (I assume by hand) when it stopped running?

The only thing you haven't mentioned checking is the injectors, you say the pump is running but is that fuel getting to the chamber at the right time? Also you say you checked the timing, spark timing or cam shaft timing?

Injectors are fine, like i said, theres compression, spark and fuel in the cylinders.

I turned over the camshaft by hand to check if it would stop or become difficult. If this was the case then it would mean the timing was out by 180degrees and the piston would be hitting the valve. as this wasnt the case it's not a problem.

I also checked the shims on the valves and they seem fine.

As for timing i checked timing for both, theres no point checking one seperately then the other, and all is fine.

Fuses and relays have now been looked at and tested and they are also fine. :?

This is why i am confused as to why the engine isnt running. Everything the engine needs to run is there yet it still doesnt. It's like banging my head on a wall repetatively!

I'm pretty sure I read a thread recently saying the G60 wasn't an interference engine design, so the valves NOT hitting the pistons doesn't necessarily mean your timing is right ...

But that doesn't answer why it ran for 5 minutes then stopped though... if the timing was so far off as to prevent a proper burn, it wouldn't run at all.

This is what Supercharged's car did last time I saw it. Would run for a bit and then got to a certain temp or running duration and then stop dead.

Could the infamous crank bolt / woodruff slot issue have occurred?

I also checked the shims on the valves and they seem fine.

Ehh! :?

I don't get this either....

Are these the original valve caps that came with this head?

They are line bored to fit a particular head and must stay on the same position. Did you change the cam? Are the cam caps picking up (metal melting and sticking to the cams?)

I would also check the timing is correct by checking the flywheel TDC mark against the cam TDC mark to rule out the crank pulley keyway shearing.

Was the oil pressure Ok when you started it?

Hope this helps...

Tom