Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

OBD2 Conversion Time

Im breaking another late golf with all the same parts again,ill glady send off the parts if you want to try these?

Cheers mate, but I dont think it would have anything to do with the parts you sent, more something Ive done i.e wiring etc.

Cheese when you talk about the crank sensor, I have replaced it with a aftermarket item, which was plastic housed. Even if the crank sensor had gone, surely you would still get the prime come on the fuel pump?

I just think its a bit strange that I cant communicate with the ECU at the moment, but I have done a couple of times! Maybe its a problem with the way ive wired it it up?

I really hope Im going to get to the bottom of it this weekend, as its getting to me a bit now! Ill give Vince a ring tomorrow for some advice and then its fingers crossed for Saturday.

Hurray!! She’s alive again at long last!

I’m a little bit embarrassed about why it’s taken so long, but here it goes. First of all after blowing up the first ECU I received off bigpants baby, I didn’t realise what I had done until taking it to Vince at Stealth and giving £150 to bypass a blown ECU!

Plugged it in and still no joy. I Spoke to Vince and explained, he asked me if the TB was making a buzzing noise, and come to think of it, I had actually heard it make that noise a while ago, but not recently. This was probably before I busted the thing!

Anyway, after realising Id blown the ECU I had to buy another of bigpants and try that. Plugged that ECU in, and there was the buzzing noise you need to hear, great, but still no start. I gave Vince another call and he talked me through the adaption process on vag-com to sync the key/transponder to the immobilizer. That was fairly straight forward, and Vince said if everything is plugged in right there should be no reason for it not to start. But it never, and Vince was a little stumped at that point. I then decided to take out the crank sensor, check or swap with my original I had kicking about. Its then I realised my mistake. The aftermarket plastic type crank sensor I had fitted has a black male plug, my spare on the other hand has a white plug. I had plugged the front knock sensor into the white plug, going by the rear which has a white plug, and the crank sensor was plugged into where the knock sensor should!

I got quite excited when I realised my mistake, as I knew it would start after swapping them round, and that it did, on the button!

First drive impressions where great, definitely more low down torque and smoother power delivery! It idles better, and the main thing that wound me up more then anything was anticipating it stalling at every junction! IT DOESN’T STALL!!

It might just be that I haven’t driven for some while, but it seems a lot more powerful, and relentlessly accelerates hard, I couldn’t leave it alone!

Im very pleased with my efforts, and even though I made a couple of stupid mistakes I don’t regret any of it because Im over the moon, it feels like a different car! :D

Good man and excellent post - it's good when people post up things like that however embarassing as it will help others trouble-shooting problems in the future!

Should run like a dream now and hopefully give better MPG!

Agreed, we all make mistakes mate. I've made some classic and very costly blunders in my time :lol:

I'm glad another person is appreciating the virtues of OBD2. It's the management the Corrado should have had all along.

Well done fella !

I would love to convert mine to OBD2 as I currently have OBD1.5 :lol: how much more dificult is it with aircon?

scatter fueling...... I hear this really helps?

Well done fella !

I would love to convert mine to OBD2 as I currently have OBD1.5 :lol: how much more dificult is it with aircon?

scatter fueling...... I hear this really helps?

I dont know mate. Is the air con loom seperate to the engine loom?

If so I wouldnt think it would be much different.

I'm just about to raid a mk3 vr for it's obd2 goodness and wanted to check what I needed to remove.I assume all the parts in the first post, the wiring loom needs to be disconnected from the fusebox and ecu to remove I assume? is the lambda different or will my existing one work?

Any other hints/tips on remving it?

Cheers!

tom

I'm just about to raid a mk3 vr for it's obd2 goodness and wanted to check what I needed to remove.I assume all the parts in the first post, the wiring loom needs to be disconnected from the fusebox and ecu to remove I assume? is the lambda different or will my existing one work?

Cheers!

tom

I used the lambda from the Golf, as it is different to the early Corrado VRs. Im not sure about the later 95 on though, check with etka.

Tips, well, I would get the Golfs wiring diagrams as there a few more plugs that are part of the engine loom, like headlights etc, which will need disconnecting. The loom should plug straight into the Corrado fusebox, no problem. It depends on how far you want to go with the neatness of it. I removed all the unused loom, which as long as you cross reference to the Corrado loom, and the diagrams, It was well worth it!

Good luck with the conversion, you wont regret carrying it out, its really worth the time and effort! :)

All the parts are from a 97 Golf VR6 I believe :

Upper Inlet Manifold

Throttle Body

Inlet Pipe

Air Mass Meter

Lambda Probe + bracket for rear e/mount

Complete Engine Loom

Complete Engine to Fuse box Loom

ECU

Ignition Key with Transponder and Pickup

How did you address the problem of locating the 02 sensors. Did you use the Golf''s catalyst, or modify your own catalyst and exhaust manifold?

There is no problem. It has one 02 Sensor and screws straight into the Corrado cat. It's just a regular narrowband sensor like the Corrado's.

Only the US OBD2 runs pre and post cat lambda.

Cheers!

tom

I used the lambda from the Golf, as it is different to the early Corrado VRs. Im not sure about the later 95 on though, check with etka.

Tips, well, I would get the Golfs wiring diagrams as there a few more plugs that are part of the engine loom, like headlights etc, which will need disconnecting. The loom should plug straight into the Corrado fusebox, no problem. It depends on how far you want to go with the neatness of it. I removed all the unused loom, which as long as you cross reference to the Corrado loom, and the diagrams, It was well worth it!

Good luck with the conversion, you wont regret carrying it out, its really worth the time and effort! :)

hi there im in the middle of try to convert mine to obd2 and was looking at your loom and see you had removed all the rad fan control part of the loom ie : fan plug, thermostat switch? also does your aux water pump run as normal?

thanks

hey

good job ,mate

i have also purchased a obd2 setup from bigpants baby and im just waiting for the right time to tackle the swap im toying with charging mine maybe rotrex so am gonna do it all together maybe !!

exelent job good to see the results from this and cant wait to do mine !!!! but expect some pms from me headded

subject: ahhhhhhh .... help !!

i'm also going to be doing the OBD2 conversion on mine soon, have you got any wiring diagrams/pictures that would help me do this,

many thanks

karl

im also seriously thinking of this for my storm......as its coming off the road soon, for a re vamp AGAIN, lol!

Any diagrams, pics, or wirings lists would be ace :-)

Hey

Ive just bought a ob2 setup and i have sourced another rado loom.

Plan being to canibolise the two looms when time allows and not have my car in bits for ages, then one weekend change everything over.

Hopefully that way it wont be off the road for long, Being my daily vehicle.

Question: :scratch:

Is the rado loom from fusebox to engine plug the same as my 93 abv with coilpack - as a 94? i should have more details on the 94 loom soon.

Haven't bought the loom as yet but dictates if i do.

Anyone see a problem with how i intend to convert my loom?

My only thought was a differnt loom is a unknown if everything was working correct but continuity checking should sort that.

paul

Hey

Plan being to canibolise the two looms when time allows and not have my car in bits for ages, then one weekend change everything over.

Is the rado loom from fusebox to engine plug the same as my 93 abv with coilpack - as a 94? i should have more details on the 94 loom soon.

My only thought was a differnt loom is a unknown if everything was working correct but continuity checking should sort that.

paul

this is my plan also matey, as my raddo is the daily car,and the missus is using it at the moment, so god forbid anythng ever goes wrong with it, lol - oh, and i cant work on it at weekends either, as she's "shopping", lol

Anyway - in answer to your question, the looms should both be the same as far as im aware, as long as they are both coilpack looms, then there shouldnt be a problem.

Can i ask how much you paid for a full OBD2 setup?

I am new to this theme and please can someone tell me what you get with OBD2 setup, i have corrado 94 year produced model i am on OBD1 setup right??? Main question is what you get with OBD 2

Thanks

Marko

Hey

paul

hi, there is no need to canilolise a corrado loom but you will either need to buy a couple of plugs from VW which will only cost a few pounds this is for the aux water pump and i think its the sinal wire. i will have a look at mine over the weekend or early next week when im down my workshop next to see what plug part numbers you will need.

for any one that wants links to help on this convertion and wiring diagrams let me know your e-mail and ill try send them over.

I am new to this theme and please can someone tell me what you get with OBD2 setup, i have corrado 94 year produced model i am on OBD1 setup right??? Main question is what you get with OBD 2

Thanks

Marko

If you read the thread from the start it will state everything you need. :)

I bought the ob2 from G60sc_stoney for £190 posted

Asked around and got put in touch with him, he is selling his car and hadn't fitted the ob2 setup from Bigpantsbaby, seemed rude not to enquire.

Dunno if i paid excessive.

paul

I bought the ob2 from G60sc_stoney for £190 posted

Asked around and got put in touch with him, he is selling his car and hadn't fitted the ob2 setup from Bigpantsbaby, seemed rude not to enquire.

Dunno if i paid excessive.

paul

No that seems resonable, I think Bigpants baby has lowered the price of his kits since I brought mine.