Sign in to follow this  
g164rge

New to Chargers

Just bought a G60 recently but not sure of the chargers life history.

On top of the charger there is the following scribed in

JON 742 02 SC

Anyone know what this would mean? I know it's not a VW serial, seems aftermarket.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi mate, welcome to the forum :D

I've no idea what those numbers mean either. The chargers probably just a non VW unit sourced when the original threw its hand in. If there is no charger history with your car and there is no way of checking when it was last rebuilt, i would give the chaps at G-werks a ring in a view of giving it a health check or rebuild for peace of mind. G-werks are regarded by everyone on here as the best in the business and always have them look after their chargers.

Hopefully the G60 crew will be along shortly to offer more insight than i can give, being a humble valver driver n' all :lol: :lol:

Its always best to get a health check/rebuild cos then its re-fit and forget for at least another 20,000 miles

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm thinking of rebuilding it myself, feel upto the task with being an engineer and its seems straightforward enough, famous last words....

How much would a full rebuild kit cost me off the shelf? Are the ones on Ebay worth avoiding or would they be upto the task?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure of the costs, but i think for a standard rebuild it costs approx £350. Best to contact G-werks or pm them as they use this forum.

It could be John from JMR? Might be worth giving them a call to see if it's one of his chargers?

It could be John from JMR? Might be worth giving them a call to see if it's one of his chargers?

Would that be John Mayer Racing?

John Mitchell of John Mitchell Racing - he's 16VG60 on here.

Spoken like a Pure Aircooleder! ;)

Think John Meyer's suspended business due to an imminent Buzzcocks Reformation Tour....

orig chargers had a scribed in number along the top...might be that

I orig thought that but i've not seen any chargers to compare it against, plus it looked a bit too diyish for oe.

I'll try and get a pic of it posted tomo, see if it makes sense to anyone.

It does seem to pull a lot lot harder than my old track toy, 2.0 cammed zetec Feesty :cuckoo: and that was pushing out about 170ish and weighed nowt.

Loving the Corrado though!!!!

that ident mark is just the manufactures casting marks, Its nothing to do with any servicing

1st thing you want to do it get the charger serviced as already said.

So then if/when you get the tuning bug you know you have a sound platform.

Obviously a g60 is nothing without her charger.

Anyway,I hope the car brings you as much fun as mine has.

Down side is you get hounded by scoobys,RS's and the like.

:?

that ident mark is just the manufactures casting marks, Its nothing to do with any servicing

It looks too diy for it to be done by vw i thought, surely vw would have stamped idents onto it, cant see a Tech scribing every one that goes out, or did they? :lol:

Hoping to reach an breach the 200brake mark, just trying to find my feet as to what to do.

What are you guys using to reach that kinda power?

It looks too diy for it to be done by vw i thought, surely vw would have stamped idents onto it, cant see a Tech scribing every one that goes out, or did they? :lol:

it is true vw do put hand scribbled ident scribe marks on them,, mine had it too so have many others..

it is true vw do put hand scribbled ident scribe marks on them,, mine had it too so have many others..

Ahh, would never had thought that. Thanks for the info!

W3rKD is Darren from G-Werks and sees hundreds of them so I'd go with what he says :D