Sign in to follow this  
j16jrf

lots of oil sucked up the camshaft breather pipe

I was driving the car home from the valeters the other day and went to floor it and all of a sudden there was no power and plumes of smoke behind the car. It had been driving and felt down on power as soon as i started to drive it.

When i pulled over the engine cut out and hasnt started since. I removed the induction kit and associated pipework and they were full of oil. which has obvioulsy gone in to the throttle body and down through the inlet manifold.

How and why would this happen? and how do I stop it happening again if i get the engine going again?

Thanks

Jamie

sorry its a 1995 vr6.

I had to take off the diaphram a few weeks ago as it was split and just replaced it with a straight piece of pipe. Could that be the problem? though i didnt expect there to be so much oil coming back up through the breather.

The breather is for the crankcase so yes there will be alot of oil. That is why the diaphram is there, to stop large particals and large quantities of oil escaping into the intake system afaik.

Dutch

sorry its a 1995 vr6.

I had to take off the diaphram a few weeks ago as it was split and just replaced it with a straight piece of pipe. .

Hi

Where abouts in the VR6 engine is this diaphragm.

as you are looking at the engine, on the left hand side at the top of the rocker cover you will see the breather tube going into the plastic tube that goes into the throttle body.

The diaphragm is on that breather, it is about the size of a 50p and is round, you cant miss it.