Tedb

ABS Pump

My ABS Light goes off after the normal start up sequence, as soon as I drive off it comes on again and stays on. I did a Diagnostics check and the following code was returned;

ABS Hydraulic Pump

16-00 Signal outside specifications

Does anyone know what this code means?

Is there any other checks I should make before taking out the Pump and putting in a replacement? The ABS Controller is fine I believe and there is no evidence of any corrosion on the contacts.

Any advice appreciated

That's the sensor that detects if the ABS pump has primed to the correct pressure I believe. Could be a voltage drop due to dodgy wiring or the pump itself is just a bit shagged. How did the failure happen? Has it always been like this since you had the car, or did it progressively get worse?

The pump/valve block units are cheap and plentiful second hand due to almost zero demand, and replacing it doesn't cost the earth either, so it might be worth just doing that anyway, tbh.

It's been like this for some time, abs light came on one day and ABS became activated when I pushed the pedal, i.e brake pedal started pumping and there was quite a surge in pressure. I realised then there was a fault in the ABS system but really didn't know where it originated. ABS hasn't worked for over a year now.

I recently did a Diagnostics on the ABS and two errors were returned, the one referred to in my original posting and the Brake Pedal position sensor, I took the Brake Pedal Sensor out and cleaned the contacts, replaced it and ran the Diagnostics again, this time no error was returned, just the error about the ABS Pump Signal being outside specification.

I will check the wiring connections to the Hydraulic module again to see if that does any good.

Thanks

Ted,

It's highly unlikely to be your ABS pump that's at fault. The usual problems - and that's in 90% of ABS faults it's the sensors on the wheels, water ingress into the ABS ECU, the relays, or occasionally the pedal sensor.

Also clean up the contacts on the ABS multiplugs - there are 2 of them, with one on the end of the pump well hidden.

You've found and fixed the brake pedal sensor so that should be OK. Give the wheel sensors a resistance check, its about 1.12K Ohms I think. Any sensor above that reading is suspect. They are easily accessible, check them with a multimeter.

The 01276 error does not always mean the pump is screwed, a new pump is over a grand from VW, do the cheapest repairs first. I had the same error, bought a couple of ABS ECU's and swapped them out to no avail. Only when I replaced the relays did the ECU show an error on a rear sensor - replaced that and another error appeared for the front sensor. The ABS ECU doesn't always report the errors!

I have a similar problem - VAG-COM throws up ABS pump problem. The light only comes on when the car gets above 10mph or thereabouts. I've cleaned the connector on the front of the ABS pump block but wasn't aware of the connector on the end.

Yes, two connectors, one on the Pump itself and the other on the Hydraulic Modulator, this is the yoke the Pump sits on, the unit with the brake pipes cominng out of it.

I am afraid I cannot offer any help to dave16v other than to follow the advice suggested in these postings.

Cheers

Thanks for the above info, just been out to the car and the pump connetor wasn't even attached :shock: Didn't have time to test drive it, will have to wait till end of work.

Thanks again.

Dave

I've been trying to get the Corrado through the MOT and before it goes in the ABS light comes on as in the above posts with the 'ABS Hydraulic Pump

16-00 Signal outside specifications' error code.

I've checked the connections to the ABS pump (multiplug front, one on the front and one on the side behind the coolant tank) and all look very clean. Where is the ABS ECU? When connecting via VAG-COM I kept getting communication errors and the reporting was as follows: Control Module Part Number: 1H0 Ï07 379 E

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS ÂEVEÿ 04. Seemed abit corrupt to me, maybe the ABS ECU connector.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Not to worry, for future searches (found it eventually) the ABS ECU is located in the passenger footwell left hand side near the lower door hinge, need to remove the panel that meets with the kick panel trim to locate it.

Removed the connector, looked very clean but WD40'd it and the three relays behind the glove box (not sure whether related but did them anyway) and it now works! Just hope it works long enough to pass the MOT.

I had ABS comms issues like you've mentioned here and it was actually VCDS causing the problem not the ECU... Tried using Older ver of vag com and it was fine...