Sign in to follow this  
Badger

vr6 keeps cutting out!

It's done this five times now and it's bloody anoying. Im driving along and then suddenly the engine just dies and you have to look sharpish for some where to ditch it quickly.

Now, i have noticed that it only seems to do it when its's raining or been raining, and it only seems to happen in the first five or ten min's.

Also, this has only started to happen after i had a 20,000 mile service last month.

Any ideas?

Would a fault code only show up when the fault was actualy happening?

I think the engine code is ABV.

Is a crank speed sensor a common problem on these engines?

If the crank speed sensor is going, the engine most likely wouldn't restart. And it would most likely only happen when the engine is hot, too.

More likely one of the myriad other engine sensors has failed / gone funny, or even you have an air leak letting unmetered air into the engine.

It's not common for crank sensors to die, and they're £140 so you don't change them for a laugh, so best to rule out everything else first.

Sounds to me more likely you have water ingress. Start with the coil pack/plugs/leads and move on from there.

Note that your crank sensor will show an error "no signal" on an ABV engine at ANY TIME when the engine is not running. So if the car stalls .. bingo - crank sensor error. This does NOT mean the crank sensor is faulty. The only time you will get genuine crank sensor errors is if the car stutters and carries on - that way the real error is not overwritten by the bogus one.

Note that your crank sensor will show an error "no signal" on an ABV engine at ANY TIME when the engine is not running

The ABV doesn

The "No signal" shows up any time when the engine is not turning on a ..CP ECU, trust me, mine did even when the crank sensor was faulty, and had caused the stall. (But to be fair mine wasn't failing due to a short - which is what water ingress might cause).

But reality is there's a long list of reasons why VRs stall, and it's very rarely caused by the crank sensor.

ECU relay 109 is a common cause though, so I'd agree it's worth swapping that. It's also worth using the search and looking for the "my VR stalls" threads. There's hundreds of 'em ...

Right, this is getting more frequent and more annoying. Yesterday i did'nt even get to the end of our road before it cut out and refused to start for five minutes, just as the neighbours were coming home from work and had to form an orderley que up the single track road until my car fired back in to life.

This morning i reversed it off the drive to get the camper out and it stalled again and refused to start. It turns over but won't fire and then suddenly jumps back into life as though theres nothing wrong, and im fairly sure i can hear it laughing at me....

So i removed relay 109 and took the cover off, would i be able to see if there was anything wrong with it? It all looked quite shiny and clean. I've cleaned the spades before refitting so we'll see how we get on.

I think i'll replace this before i get to grips with the ISV cleaning.

It's an ABV engine with only 52000 miles, should these things be failing at this sort of mileage?

definitely replace relay 109. Then clean the isv and give the throttel body a clean or a wipe on both sides with a rag dipped in carb cleaner. See how you get on and then report back. then we can look at other areas like the ignition switch, crank sensor, ecu and the immobiliser.

Any more news on this? I've just started having very similar problems with my vr and would be interested in knowing if you've managed to solve it? Cheers.

Hello, sorry for the late update. I replaced the relay 109 (ecu, i think) and have never looked back.

I went to the local stealers and they had one on the shelf for the tidy sum of £13.17.

Passed the MOT today aswell, Woo Hoo :D

Cheers for that. Replaced my relay 109 the other day aswel...and fingers crossed, it seems to have done the job. Happy days... :D