Sign in to follow this  
davektm

Power steering issue!!!

Guys,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding the power steering pump on my Corrado, the car has been lying for about 3 years and I have finally got everything sorted out and got it MOT'd. The only problem is after fitting a new power steering belt as soon as I move the steering wheel the belt screams! The belt is tight and new as I have said, is it possible that the pump is knackered? It is fine to turn by hand with the belt off. If it is knackered is the pump from a Mk2 golf or any other VW the same.

Cheers, Davie.

It sounds like the pump is seizing due to standing for so long. The pump is the same as comparable Golf engines whatever yours is?

Might be another component on the belt. Water pump? Odd that it only happens when you turn the steering wheel though ..

Wouldnt need to bleed that system btw, not as far i as know.

Sounds like it'll just need a sand, hope that works!!!

8)

Removed the pump last night and it is spinning freely, I also removed the valve and little gauze filter, there is no wear or dirt in there euther! Any more suggestions? Could it be the rack? Which non PAS Golf racks will fit????

With the engine off (ignition on though) can you turn the wheels? Admitedly they will be quite heavy, but after 3 years a ball joint could have seized?

Removed the pump last night and it is spinning freely, I also removed the valve and little gauze filter, there is no wear or dirt in there euther! Any more suggestions? Could it be the rack? Which non PAS Golf racks will fit????

those valves can be problematic, try swapping just the valve with one from a golf, passat, mk3 golf etc. even if the pumps have slightly different bodies and pulleys the valve inside is the same, cured it on my pump, the valves can stick particularly if muck in the system scores the walls of the drilling in the pump, that would require a whole pump though, I simply got a pocket full of old valve bits from a scrappy.

If the rack seals were duff I'd have thought you wouldn't get the symptoms you describe, as it's obviously the valve in the rack opening that is calling for pressure from the pump. You may also notice the reservoir churning around if the valve is sticking, as the pressure will be applied all the time, not just when turning.