Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

Whats a ball park figure to get an engine bored out?

quick general questions..

So what about the head.

The g60 head or a cnc variant could be re-used with a larger bore bottom end (i.e the 3a block) without any modification? ?

Also if you can just re-use the g60 head is there a place that I can obtain technical details about vw engines i.e the combustion chamber volume for the pg head?

Is that info in etka?

Or is it best to measure it directly with say a CC'ing kit?

cheers

Robert.

Haven't measured the head volume on a G60 head but it is the same as a 8v GTi head which I have measured at 30cc. Some people say the G60 head volume is 31cc. G60 head can be used without modification on a 3A block, but always check your valve clearance before turning the engine over as if your piston deck height has increased your valves may come into contact witht the pistons. Breathing will be improved with a CNC head and more so with bigger valves. What engine mods do you have currently?

Hi

standard g60 stuff.

g60 management with jabba chip,68mm pulley,fmic

stg 4 charger,go faster dent on drivers side.

Oil cooler on my desk at work to go on although I may as well wait now until the big strip down.

Incidently It was interesting what you said b4 about having a sub 10 mile commute and thus not wanting to use forged pistons and an oil cooler on your car,I have about a 25 mile commute and I can never resist the temptation to pour on the boost thus my car gets a bit hot at the mo hence buying the oil cooler.

:indiff:

I do have an oilcooler but it only cools the oil after it reaches +90deg I retained the oil to water cooler to help warm up the oil quicker to 90deg. Anyway nearly all people do the CNC BV head before the bottom end but me being slighty errm individual shall I say have decided to do the bottom end before even touching the Charger or Head party due to circumstances but also because doing the block presents a little more interest and the resultant torque curve and engine characterisic may be more pleasing to me but then again maybe not. It's an unaswered question to my mind so therefore interesting. You could fit a BV CNC head first and get good figures as you seem to have done all the other common mods already. Ever had it on a Rolling Road?

nah,not as of yet.

Its probably 185-190 i guess.

I probably will do but not really interested at this point in time.

What I am aimimg for is a nice wide torque band to suit various driving conditions,even if it is at the expense of peak

hp/torque.

:)

What I am aimimg for is a nice wide torque band to suit various driving conditions, even if it is at the expense of peak

hp/torque.

Exactly!!! Couldn't of put it better myself. :lol:

I keep wondering about going 2 litre g6016v.

Would a 8v big valve head flow breathas well as an out the box 16 valve head?!?

why not vs a fully worked over 16v head? its not a realistic comparison when you can get both

I keep wondering about going 2 litre g6016v.

Would a 8v big valve head flow breathas well as an out the box 16 valve head?!?

why not vs a fully worked over 16v head? its not a realistic comparison when you can get both

sorry mate i don't follow what you mean?

:scratch:

I'll do some googling on the matter.

I meant its possible to improve the flow and valve sizes of a 16v head as well as the 8v head - therefore if you want a fair comparison it should be done between a BV 8 and 16v head

and then what about the 20v head? :lol:

ok yep,fook it I'm gonna build a 1.8T

...nah

only joking :D

I'm still kind of interested in how a standard 16v head flows in relation to a BV 8 valve 2b honest.

I have read that a BV 8 valve just gets to where an 16v std sits out of the box?!

fair enough bud.

why don't you turbo a g60 engine if you want to do something a bit more different? junkie and _monkey_ have done that and both their cars are nuts

A 2L 16Vg60 has to be very very expensive. not sure it'd be worth doing tbh when theres more powerful engines available for less

i havn't ruled that out..

I think the costs of g60 8v 2 litre and 2 litre 8v g6016v will be comparable though!?

Considering that I already have a 2 litre block g60 engine with managment etc.

i'll have to re-mount the alternator which I wouldn't have to do for the 8v,but...

The main cost will be the pistons/rods i guess .........!???

i havn't ruled that out..

I think the costs of g60 8v 2 litre and 2 litre 8v g6016v will be comparable though!?

Considering that I already have a 2 litre block g60 engine with managment etc.

i'll have to re-mount the alternator which I wouldn't have to do for the 8v,but...

The main cost will be the pistons/rods i guess .........!???

What do you want the car for? It all comes down to what you want it for - and what you'd be most happiest with. You're doing major work and spending lots of money either way. So be sure you know the answer to that lot first!

yes but people dont forget ,big valve heads. (only the cnc heads flow as much as the 16v) you will loose low down torque for higher hp. the opposite to what you wanted. if its high torque bore out the bottom end and only hand ported head. with a mild cam. eg piper 270h. and a 65mm pulley.

(this may not strickly be accurate but in may personnel experience.)

I agree. Leave the head stock and get the bottom end sorted out. Get it mapped and see what the torque curve looks like. This is why I intend to leave all internals other than the block standard, I'm curious to see what a stock head and charger with a 65mm pulley and big intercooler will do with a higher compression 2ltr bottom end all exhausting through a big manifold and through exhaust. I'm hoping to see good improvements to the torque curve between 1000 and 3000 rpm. :)

I'm just not into reving the bollocks off of engines, I must be getting old! :?

I was conscious of the loss of low down poke.

I thought the longer stroke would go some ways to compensate though?!

some else to consider

on my old engine it made 235 ftlbs at 2k across to 5k. ... then i cocked everything up and it broke. :(

Mike_G60 was pushing 250 hp and 220lb/ft with his G60 with no bottom end work. I'd investigate his old car, stunning bit of kit.

rpm head,35mm ex valves,piper270h cam,grey injectors. the lotus chargecooler( for sale) water inj std bottom end tsr 4 branch. 65mm pulley.

its the the thicker line of the two

I agree. Leave the head stock and get the bottom end sorted out. Get it mapped and see what the torque curve looks like. This is why I intend to do leave all internals other than the block standard, I'm curious to see what a stock head and charger with a 65mm pulley and big intercooler will do with a higher compression 2ltr bottom end all exhausting through a big manifold and through exhaust. I'm hoping to see good improvements to the torque curve between 1000 and 3000 rpm. :)

I'm just not into reving the bollocks off of engines, I must be getting old! :?

so your going for 9:1 comp huh..

isn't that close to limits for FI?

I guess a large FMIC wil help....

re re'ving the engine there must be a gray area where the 16 valve starts to become superior at mid range.

yes all things being equal an 8v engine will have more low down pull than a 16 valve.

I'm hoping though that the larger bore/stroke will go some way to mask this deficiency so that I can still achieve a wind band curve albeit if its starts a little later!??

These are the things that interest me.

Yes I want my cake and eat it too.

rpm head,35mm ex valves,piper270h cam,grey injectors. the lotus chargecooler( for sale) water inj std bottom end tsr 4 branch. 65mm pulley.

its the the thicker line of the two

very interesting curve.

All that from just head work and higher boost via the smaller pulley?

How did you blow it up in the end then?

i've not ported the charger or gone down as far as a 65mm pulley, std intercooler, std bottom end, sns5.5 and a map - but a hand ported big valve head with 35mm exh valves - and i'm seeing 203bhp with 197lbs/ft. the head work accounts for a lot. If i added a fmic, 65mm pulley, race spec ported charger and water injection i'd be seeing very good figures. and i put this down to the head giving a good foundation for the other mods to work with.