Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

Whats a ball park figure to get an engine bored out?

rpm head,35mm ex valves,piper270h cam,grey injectors. the lotus chargecooler( for sale) water inj std bottom end tsr 4 branch. 65mm pulley.

its the the thicker line of the two

very interesting curve.

All that from just head work and higher boost via the smaller pulley?

How did you blow it up in the end then?

tooth belt snapped and split a piston. after a rebuild it was never the same. and during the rebuild i must have had some muck in it cos it broke another piston. and scored the liner. shit ha.

so your going for 9:1 comp huh..

isn't that close to limits for FI?

I guess a large FMIC wil help....

Depends on how much induction you are going to force. I'll just be starting off at 9:1 rather than 8:1 so as you say with a big intercooler, better fueling and modern higher octane fuel I should be fine. Besides getting it any lower with such a short block, long stroke and unmodified 8v head ain't easy especially when you don't want to use forged pistons. Pitstop do 9:1 bottom ends and swear by them, giving more torque lower down. IIRC bluejoe's was 9.3:1!!!

Running a 60mm pulley gives you the same result more air and fuel being compressed lower in the rev range. :)

re re'ving the engine there must be a gray area where the 16 valve starts to become superior at mid range.

yes all things being equal an 8v engine will have more low down pull than a 16 valve.

I'm hoping though that the larger bore/stroke will go some way to mask this deficiency so that I can still achieve a wind band curve albeit if its starts a little later!??

You can do alot with a 2.0L 16VG60 engine. If your serious phone JMR. I did and he almost/did convince me it was the way to go, and I'm still thinking about it but it's alot more work, alot (speak to Yanards) :?

I've been doing some fag packet maths and in regards to compression you are only talking about a couple of mill to get the extra cc's in the combustion chamber to lower the compression ratio.

Are stacked gaskets prone to failure then?

thanks in advance.

You can stack gaskets to lower compression and it will work but you will be prone to blow-by, cooked compression rings and your flame travel will be all messed up giving you bad fuel consumption and reduced preformance over what could be achieved with a 2ltr bottom end. The Yanks do it alot but then where did we get the term "cowboy job" from? And they don't give a monkeys about fuel consumption. :? Just my stance on stacked gasket plus it's just too easy to do oh and it'll mess with your valve and ignition timing. DON'T DO IT YOUR BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

:D

Thanks,I nearly went over to the dark side.

Its all fun and games,I have read some very strong arguments both for and against stacked g'skts but ultimately I think your right.

:)

hiya

well,there is a mark3 2 litre 16v (abf) sat on its belly in my local scrappie.

I want a few things from inside the block,oil pump,intermediate shaft and oil pump gear etc.

They are just so busy that they have no time to take the engine out.

I'm actually considering using the abf head as opposed to the Kr,with its smaller intake ports for a little bit more low down grunt.(Although the late Kr's are apparently the same as the abf heads so I need to check the part numbers on my KR in etka)

As for the all important pistons conundrum i am looking into if I will definately need to have valve reliefs cut into the 3a pistons.

It would make sense just to use the existing setup in the block then everything is taken care of in terms of rod ratio/deck height etc.

...but then there's the posibility of maybe re-boring too ,I hav't estimated for that yet,I would have to see what that did to the

CR as it would take it up again. :roll:

So to answer your question..

So what's the plan Dirtytrque? :) Are you dreaming about engine parts yet! :lol:

Nightly

:D

All you need is the 16v block and a great big dirtyb****** turbo as you were saying over the wknd :lol:

Make your sig the reality.

All you need is the 16v block and a great big dirtyb****** turbo as you were saying over the wknd :lol:

Make your sig the reality.

Thats engine conversion number 2 on my list.:)

And anyway the same issues with lowering compression will apply.

I will be able to re-use this block that I am building.

I'll post something up when I have made more progress.