Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Toyo Proxe-4 (PX4) Now running a pair! OMG!

The "new" Prox is out and at the same price as the T1R... Tempting esp if they are a step up (which they should be)

If not maybe I'll go ith the "Cheaper" (by £4) :shock: Eagle F1GSD3's !

tire_l.jpg

It would appear they don't do these in a 205/50 15 yet.

But tehy do in a 195/50/15 for a valver and have a set being fitted tomorrow for £49/corner! Whoohoo!

I'm putting 195s on my vr when I get new tyres, there's about a £20/tyre difference on rainsports for the extra 10mm

It would appear they don't do these in a 205/50 15 yet.

But tehy do in a 195/50/15 for a valver and have a set being fitted tomorrow for £49/corner! Whoohoo!

I'm putting 195s on my vr when I get new tyres, there's about a £20/tyre difference on rainsports for the extra 10mm

But won't there be a sidewall height discrepancy?

Also bare in mind that could invalidate your insurance...

Toyo's - the only experience I have had is with T1S's which I thought were awful and not even good value for money becuase they wore so quickly... I think they are really designed for the Jap market only so I'm keeping well clear...

I would recommend in order of price Barum Bravuris, Uniroyal Rainsport or Eagle F1 GSD3

Toyo's - the only experience I have had is with T1S's which I thought were awful and not even good value for money becuase they wore so quickly... I think they are really designed for the Jap market only so I'm keeping well clear...

I would recommend in order of price Barum Bravuris, Uniroyal Rainsport or Eagle F1 GSD3

Try 888's saw the state of Croosin's after a "Quick" trip up from Behmouth to Brands... He recons 1-2 track days and tehy're shot....

One reviewer's got 17,000 out of a set! :shock: Ok in the US so probably all straight line freeway stuff

Supercharged, I'm not necessarily disagreeing but as you don't get asked about tyre size when getting insurance cover for different sized wheels is there actually anything that you've seen that confirms this?

yeah i reccommend the R888's nothing stickier that in know of, tyre wise anyway! think they cost me £140 each for 205/40/17s but you can probably get them much cheaper. they give a hard ride, but then if you have a lowered car and are running big wheels who cares !

Supercharged, I'm not necessarily disagreeing but as you don't get asked about tyre size when getting insurance cover for different sized wheels is there actually anything that you've seen that confirms this?

Yeah it sounds silly but I know insurance companies will try anything to get out of a claim and if they know your on factory wheels they will expect to see the right tyre size...

Some tyre places are also getting funny (probably becuase of the blame culture were getting coming over from the states) but I had one place refuse to fit some H rated tyres I bought from a show in place of V rated (same tyre and size) which I would agree with on a Corrado but this was on a Golf driver....

well, yes, maybe the fitters have to be careful.. after all, they were probably worried you were going to do some "crazy" 110bhp diesel conversion on it!! :D

they were probably worried you were going to do some "crazy" 110bhp diesel conversion on it!!

PMSL - don't dis the diesel man! - 63MPG on the way back from BVF!

Hmmm... I would have thought that 205s and 195s would have been fine as the corrado was supplied new on them (the valver being on 185s in some cases) the actual width of the 195 rainsports is over 205mm anyway.

Not significant no. the 50 bit is the sidewall height.

Hmmm... I would have thought that 205s and 195s would have been fine as the corrado was supplied new on them (the valver being on 185s in some cases) the actual width of the 195 rainsports is over 205mm anyway.

True, I'm sure on my tyre pressure chart thingy on the B pillar apart from saying I should inflate my tyres to about 400 Atmospheres.. (38psi IIRC) also lists 14" wheels!

Not significant no. the 50 bit is the sidewall height.

No, 50 is the sidewall ratio. Therefore there will be a sidewall height discerpancy.

No, 50 is the sidewall ratio. Therefore there will be a sidewall height discerpancy.

I didn't want to confuse him ;)

Still it's only a 5mm difference in sidewall, not hugely significant, about the same difference as having new tyres and having worn out tyres.

Still it's only a 5mm difference in sidewall, not hugely significant, about the same difference as having new tyres and having worn out tyres.

True, I seem to have stopped grabbing the splitter quite so badly now! :lol:

Hmmm, those new Toyos are an almost exact copy of Uniroyal's "double V" rainsport.....a tyre that's been around for donkey's years! Yet to be bettered by a significant margin for the price in wet performance imo. There are better dry tyres out there though.

As for putting 195s on a VR, I don't personally agree with it, but most decent brands are pulling the 205/50 from their catalogue now (thanks to the current Global obsession with wheel size) and providing the 195 is Z rated, there should be no problems on the VR.

Hmmm, those new Toyos are an almost exact copy of Uniroyal's "double V" rainsport.....a tyre that's been around for donkey's years! Yet to be bettered by a significant margin for the price in wet performance imo. There are better dry tyres out there though.

As for putting 195s on a VR, I don't personally agree with it, but most decent brands are pulling the 205/50 from their catalogue now (thanks to the current Global obsession with wheel size) and providing the 195 is Z rated, there should be no problems on the VR.

I thought the speedlines were a 6 inch rim, the same as the sebrings etc, which have 195s on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I looking for some sort of poor mans stretched look, but I thought they'd fit fine...

Mr Toad - any decent insurance nazi could invalidate your insurance for running 195s as it has deviated from factory/standard spec. Thats all the fekers need to screw you.

What's with the Toyo obsession? I've always thought they were pretty much mid-range tyres? Nothing special are they?

VR6s have a 6.5J rim....

Valvers etc have a 195 because :-

They are lighter than a VR6

Can't go as fast a VR6

At the time of the VR6 launch, I'm sure VW would have used a 195 if they could, but VR6 owners would have felt miffed if the 'lesser' Corrados had the same size rubber and also they needed a Z rated 15", which weren't that common back in 1992/3.

You are right though, in racing circles the tyre width generally matches the rim width for responsive steering, i.e. 185 for 6J, 195 for 7J, 205 for 8J, and so on.... but people + public roads + kerbs = the need for rim protection, or wider rubber!

Similar but copied? Hmm???

I didn't mean literally! The concept is the same.....two "V" treads within the same shoulder to shoulder area...

Similar but copied? Hmm???

I didn't mean literally! The concept is the same.....two "V" treads within the same shoulder to shoulder area...

If you squint.. :lol:

Double6's I was wondering too (been a Yoko man myself) till I bought some... They are damn good...