Sign in to follow this  
jackflash

VR6s - how many?

I know there were around 97,000 corrados made and about 9,000 got to the UK, but does anyone know how many VR6s were made in all and how many reached these shores? (Also feel free to correct me if those figures are wrong!)

Its all a big mystery. I tried to do a Freedom of Information act with the DVLA to establish just how many Corrado's we have left now (hoping it'd be broken down by model / year, etc) but they basically replied and told me to shove off. So I don't know if its possible to find out that sort of information if the DVLA, being the miserable turds that they are, refuse to co-operate.

Jim, just a thought but do you think the DVLA would be any more responsive to VW themselves? If we went to VW from the Forum (and/or the CCGB) and asked if they would mind finding out for us, perhaps they'd be prepared to try? Particularly given the 20th anniversary coming up as the boys from Spain pointed out? Conceivably VW might be prepared to pay for the info too if the DVLA were still being arses?

What ya reckon?

Worth a shot I suppose. I'd be up for scribbling a letter to VW of the UK or something to see if they'd do that, obviously explaining that the DVLA had already fobbed me off with some BS excuse! Not that i'm bitter about it or anything.

Ha ha tell me about it. I tried ringing the DVLA to get the serial number of the previous owner's documents to complete an HPI check, spent about 10 mins waiting on the phone then got through to possibly the most miserable and rudest women I've ever spoken to who bluntly told me: "We don't give any details to anyone" lol. But yeah I would guess there would be more chance of success going through VW, definitely worth a go.

VW themselves may have some data, seeing as they can identify your car (chasssis and engine details) via just the registation mark. They obtain address details for recalls from the DVLA so I'd imagine they would have most of the info we would want on ntheir own databases, it's not like the data we want is personal info anyway. Perhaps the CCGB would help giving some weight in providing a more 'official' request to VW?

VW themselves may have some data, seeing as they can identify your car (chasssis and engine details) via just the registation mark. They obtain address details for recalls from the DVLA so I'd imagine they would have most of the info we would want on ntheir own databases, it's not like the data we want is personal info anyway. Perhaps the CCGB would help giving some weight in providing a more 'official' request to VW?

Humn, that just goes to show that Jim's request about how many are left on the road is achievable with ease as a bogo standard database query..

The problem is the number is going to change all the time. And may not be all that accurate in the first place. How many have been sorned and broken without the DVLA being notified that the vehicle has been scrapped this year I wonder? And judging by the amount of cars I see going into Stevens on a regular basis with the front ends stoved in the number is sadly diminishing all the time....

I'm not sure how accurate this could be, but in around 1998 when I first got involved in the Corrado Club I saw some statistics showing that around half the Club's members owned VR6's. For later (95>) cars more than two-thirds of them were VR6's

Now certainly the Corrado wasn't a huge seller at all in the UK until the G60 gave way to the VR6, which perhaps supports the thought that perhaps in total as many as half all the Corrados sold in the UK would have been VR6's.

Hope that helps... maybe?

John

I'm not sure how accurate this could be, but in around 1998 when I first got involved in the Corrado Club I saw some statistics showing that around half the Club's members owned VR6's. For later (95>) cars more than two-thirds of them were VR6's

Now certainly the Corrado wasn't a huge seller at all in the UK until the G60 gave way to the VR6, which perhaps supports the thought that perhaps in total as many as half all the Corrados sold in the UK would have been VR6's.

Hope that helps... maybe?

John

Taking that as a rough guide then perhaps there were 4,000 or so VR6s that entered the UK. My guess would be half that number are now on the roads (using my very scientific Columbo-style hunch!). Though the only thing I would say with club figures is that arguably it is more likely a VR6 owner would join a club thanks to the car's new 'classic' status than say someone who buys a 1.8 as a cheap runaround (apologies to all non-VR6 owners if that sounds a bit snooty, it's not intended!)

Interesting that there was only 49 autos, I swear I've seen about 10 for sale in the past 6 months or so

that would be because of the popular manual to auto conversion for the VR, there's probably hundreds of them running around now.

Interesting that there was only 49 autos, I swear I've seen about 10 for sale in the past 6 months or so

that would be because of the popular manual to auto conversion for the VR, there's probably hundreds of them running around now.

You mean auto to manual conversion :)

You mean auto to manual conversion :)

no, sorry, I was trying to be funny in explaining why he'd seen so many autos for sale... I'll get my coat...