Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Valver engine note appreciation thread

SONICROT.....I've never had the pleasure of driving a supercharged car. Hopefully one day :D

DAVE.....I'm with you on your last comment. I vowed never to own another French car after that. And i have still been true to my word 8yrs on :D

SONICROT.....I've never had the pleasure of driving a supercharged car. Hopefully one day :D

Next time I take a trip down to Swansea I'll stop off on the M4 at Cardiff and you can 'ave a go in mine mate. :D

Having just had the rebuild done on mine i would consider a turbo conversion, if the prices were at all sensible.

How much are we talking about these days? I'm certainly in no position for that kind of thing at the moment.

Valvers only sound good when they have a turbo bolted to them imo.... had a few NA valvers over the years and one 16V T.... the latter is a stunning engine. The former, dull, I'm sorry to say....well, it's got a beefy idle tone I quite like actually....

And I'm not biased because the G60 or VR6 tones don't blow my skirt up either....

I prefer V8s and M Power engines for aural pleasure ;-)

I'm afraid i'm sort of on the side of the cheesemaster there when it comes to the 16V engine note. 4 cylinder's just don't make nice noises in NA guise. I kinda like the G60 engine note only because its rather "different" but I do truely love the VR6 engine note. Its very very distinctive in that you can pick it out amongst other 6 cylinder noises easily, but the truely great noises really are held for the 8+ cylinder cars. My dads old Daimler with its 2.5l V8 might be old tech from the 60's but the engine note and roar from the exhaust is absolutely glorious!

There are so many opinions in this thread it is a complete joke trying to compare!

I like the KR though, another fave engine include the XU9J4, aka Peugeot's late 80s 16v.

VR6s do take the biscuit for me too though, lovely sounding :D

I find the rattly cam gear, straining PS pump, squeaky alternator bearings and chattering water pump idler pulley add significantly to the exhaust note on my valver, although the rattling trim inside drowns most of this out when on the road :lol:

I find the rattly cam gear, straining PS pump, squeaky alternator bearings and chattering water pump idler pulley add significantly to the exhaust note on my valver, although the rattling trim inside drowns most of this out when on the road :lol:

David, it sounds like you've been in mine!! :lol:

My mom's just bought an MGRV8 re-imported from Japan after owning several BGT's and the noise that makes is amazing. (85 in 2nd at 5k!)

Makes mine sound like a sewing machine... :(

I find the rattly cam gear, straining PS pump, squeaky alternator bearings and chattering water pump idler pulley add significantly to the exhaust note on my valver

lol.. I think most valver owners can sympathise.

I'd have loved to have heard what a 2.0 16v sounded like FRESH from the factory, as pretty much every valver i've ever heard has done serious miles and has some sort of mechanical noise - like in the case of mine noisy / whirring belts, and a bit of tappet rattle!

noisy / whirring belts

That is the one thing on mine I hate the most. Is this a sign of worn aux belts or is it the pulleys they drive making the whining/whirring?

Thinking of changing the belts on mine but if it aint gonna sort it, I won't bother...

I think new belts help. And make sure you buy genuine belts as they have stitching in them that help elminate squeaks, etc... pattern belts often never have this and are consequently usually quite noisy.

Did you know that if you tighten your belt up to the correct spec, you should hear it whine at a specific engine rpm? :)