Sign in to follow this  
tonytiger

Fuel Flap Locking Clip

The locking clip/pin/whatever on the fuel flap on my VR is missing - either broken or rusted off before I got it - so the flap doesn't lock. :(

As a (hopefully) temporary measure I'm using a locking petrol cap from ECP, but I'd like to get the flap fixed and working on the central locking again. So, went to the dealer to price a new flap but the ETKA diagram shows a flap and a stop and the guy wasn't sure which I'd need. Anybody got any ideas?

If I do just need the 'stop' part how do I go about removing what's left of the old one from the flap and fitting the new one? Anybody else done this?

Inside the boot behind the right hand panel there is a white solenoid which operates the pin for the fuel flap, when this packs up the fuel flap wont open/close you can manually move it up and down to lock unlock, before you change it have a look around to make sure the pipe aint come off, split.

Do you mean the black metal plate with a hole on the actual flap itself? If so then you need part number 535 862 288 and get a body shop to tack weld it onto the flap.

If the

I'm not really sure what I meant, to be honest. :? I've not seen another Corrado fuel flap to know what the looking part should be like. Looking at my car, there appears to be a small hole in the body, next to the fuel cap, that I assumed was where a pin/rod attached to the flap would click into. There is a plate on the flap (don't think it's black though) that I thought the pin/clip must have broken off from.

Majik, thanks for the advice - I hadn't actually considered that the central locking for the fuel flap could be broken.

Yep that's the plate I was talking about. Highly unlikely that has come off! Sounds like the pin that engages into the hole in the plate isn't moving. All the mechanicals for that are behind the carpet on that side of the car. Get someone to operate the CL when the carpet is removed and observe what the vacuum actuator does, or doesn't do!

Kev

Nigel, many thanks for the pic - I know what it's supposed to look like now and can see which bit's missing.

Kev, sorry you were right about that plate :oops: (I guess I was just confused coz mines as much rust coloured as black :) -see pic) It is the 'sticky out bit with hole' that's missing (I know all the technical terms :wink: ). As the black plate is still attached and doesn't look like it's easily removed - it looks like I can't just get a new plate welded on :( so I guess I'll just have to live with it as is for now (unless anybody knows better).

it looks like I can't just get a new plate welded on :( so I guess I'll just have to live with it as is for now (unless anybody knows better).

I lived with it for 2 years on me old 16v, the only clue I had was an old receipt that said central locking inactive/fuelflap wont open so I assume it was deliberately removed. You could fix the flap and find that it wont unlock as mine did so check this first if you do decide to sort it.