Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

R8 - driven

Had the privilege to drive both manual and R-Tronic R8's last week and have to say that I was very impressed.

Colour combination is critical to make the car look good, the manual car I drove looked like its back was broken, blue with dark blue sideblades but the black one with carbon side blades looked superb.

Quality was fantastic - just what you'd expect of an Audi though

Performance was interesting, I have driven an RS4 and have to admit that the R8 did not feel any quicker, not surprising as engines are identical and I think weights are very similar - think this is more down to the RS4 being so savagely quick for what it is rather than the R8 being sluggish though

Very impressed by the R-Tronic auto box, interior looks better for losing that awful metal open gate thats fitted to the manual

Can fully understand why there is such a long waiting list but for me I'd still take an Aston V8 Vantage, might not be as quick or as well built but it wins hands down when it comes to character - the R8 felt totally soulless, who wants an "efficient" supercar :lol:

You're a lucky man. I'm still waiting to drive something with more than 160 bhp. My (probably slightly under powered) G60 is the most powerful car I've ever driven. 8) :lol:

Are they planning to make an R8 with a bigger engine?

Development is well underway with the Lambo's 5 litre V10, should have the full 500bhp, in a weird twist, at the same time Lamborghini is putting the finishing touches to a Gallardo with the Audi 4.2 litre V8, the V8 Gallardo and V10 Audi are going to be virtually the same price

A V8 Gallardo? That's odd that they should bring one out with a smaller engine. They normally get bigger. If they're the same money think I'd still go for the Lambo. As nice as the Audi appears to be it doesn't have the X-factor of the Bull.

my mate works in audi servicing and he got flown out to the nurbergring? to test it on its lauch!!

the 2 cars driven were batterered with cracked screens, bumps and scrapes

Andy you lucky barsteward, I thought that although the engines in the R8 and RS4 are identical, the one in the R8 is in a lower state of tune in terms of bhp but possibly higher in terms of torque?

EDIT: Think I confused the R8's engine with the S5!!!

Lucky guy, They have a certian new car cool about them. I just hope the looks dont go the way of the new Honda civic. ie, outlandish when you first see it, but wears off fairly soon.

IMHO Audi made a mistake not releasing the bigger engine one first, but Id still take a 997 in a heartbeat over the R8.

but Id still take a 997 in a heartbeat over the R8

Ultimately you have decades of refinement in the 997, which is something the R8 doesn't have despite Audi's fastidious attention do detailing and superb quality. I think it'd have to be a Porsche for me too, though the R8 certainly would have the exclusivity / head turning aspect at this point - I see so many Porsches every day, but have yet to see an R8 on the road!

was waiting for someone near the main road yesterday and watched a steady stream of 330s/M3s accelerating past over the course of about 10 mins and then I saw an RS4 for the first time.

wow, the noise of them is just in a completely different league to the screaming BMWs.. I'd pay a lot of money for that. (guess thats why they're so pricey! :D )

I saw one when I was at worthersee and they are stunning

S5031374.jpg

S5031373.jpg

S5031377.jpg

Here are a couple from when were havin a few (think we were in Velden)

S5031509.jpg

S5031508.jpg

The pictures really dont do the car justice, it really is a stunning car

I saw a red one driving towards me the other day, thought it was a modified TT from a distance, no doubt it's an excellent car but it just doesn't have the road presence of a £100K motor

Ultimately you have decades of refinement in the 997, which is something the R8 doesn't have

Indeed, which makes the R8 all the more remarkable. In the space of just a few years, Audi have gone from producing numb, dull, lifeless machines to a 911 beater. Even the RS4 is causing head scratching among the better motoring journos because the new V8 M3 is only very marginally better in some areas, and not the complete walk over for BMW that M3 v Audi battles used to be.

Reading between the lines, I think Porsche recently becoming a major stakeholder in the VW group is a small coincidence the R8 is so good! Strange marketing strategy for Porsche though.....

The only thing I don't like about the R8 is the silly two tone Bugatti-esque paint. I don't get that at all. It looks like they ran out of paint and took panels off other cars.

I see so many Porsches every day, but have yet to see an R8 on the road!

Yep. The 911 has been the defacto 'affordable' supercar for eons, so it's about time something new and different came along, but the 911 will always be a hard act to follow....

Reading between the lines, I think Porsche recently becoming a major stakeholder in the VW group is a small coincidence the R8 is so good! Strange marketing strategy for Porsche though.....

The recent increse in shareholding came a long time after the decision to make the R8, and although Porsche own this bigger stake. They dont want to stifle the other companies, Just cream off the profits.

Although the worlds motoring press are falling over themselves to get an R8 for an extended test drive does not mean that this car will be a permanant success, we have yet to see how the vehicles hold up to daily use. In addition to that when they do get a big engine in the car, the dynamics that seem to make it so crisp will be ruined by a fat lump engine.

As for the looks thing, Im with you kev. It is an attempt to be different, and followers of fashion ultimately end up being fashion victims.