Sign in to follow this  
Lufbramatt

tyres for 7.5 x 16" rims

a while back I bought a set of 7.5 x 16 borbet C's off the for sale forum and have just got round to looking at tyres for them. Looking at tyre calculators it seems the best size for these to match up with whats on the thing currently are 215/45/16's but they seem to be few and far between and a bit more expensive than what i wanted.

Considering the 7.5" width, are 205 width tyres ok to run? I dont really want it to be stretched too much.

What makes and sizes do people run on this size rim?

cheers :)

205 is not too stretched but generally the wheel rim will be the outermost surface and so you have very little room for error when parking etc.

you should find more of a selection in 215 40 16's, they're what i'm running and according to those calculator things its reading 1.3% wrong... i can live with that though, btw dunflop sp9000s are good :D

I run 215/40/16 and can recomment toyo's. They grip like sh1t to a blanket and ive had quite a few different makes of tyres on my previous cars (yoko's, avons etc) and Toyos are the brand ive kept goin back to

ahh good idea going to 40 profile, bigger selection there. will investigate that plan :)

a guy at work whos into tuning up old fords keeps raving about toyo tyres. might give them a whirl. what model are you running?

yea should be a bit better than the budget "teflon tyres" 185/65/14's that are on it at the mo hehe

Runway Enduro 656's got them fitted to pass an mot last year as i knew id be putting bigger wheels on it- proper scary in the wet! although a bit of tail out action in the passat makes the bloke in a merc whos been tailgating you for the last 2 miles back RIGHT off lol

so yea i know its not a corrado but this forum seems so much more helpful, friendly and knowledgable than a certain other vw based forum . . .

195/40 is perfect with a little stretch imo

look at my front wheel in my gallery (link is in the sig)

did you find some good priced 40 profiles?

205 can look stretched on a 7.5 wide rim. All depends on manufacturer. 215 is correct. However 205/45/16 (my preferred size of tyre on a 7j rim) is closest to the original 205/50/15, or alternatively 215/40/16 is kinda close too but 225/40/16* is closer still to correct RR. All much of a muchness. And although 205/50/16 is a easy tyre size to buy, the calculator says the mph reading will be reasonably different.

knowing which tyre brand to buy, there is a sticky topic for that. There you'll see Toyo Proxes, Uniroyal Rainsports, Eagle F1's etc etc getting a good mention. Personally I didnt like the Dunlops in the wet. Be aware that Bridgestone are making leaps and bounds in thier rubber compound - the expensive brands have a better tyre construction, versus the cheaper ones like Falkon, Toyo, Uniroyal. Those cheaper ones that are sticky also wear out very quickly too.

be aware of what the 40 profile does to the ride too. There are a couple tyre information links in the Wiki above. Basically the 40 will be a harsher / firmer ride than a 45 profile. I'd prefer to have 45, as thats the reason I'd buy 16"x7 alloys - all IMO.

*((225/40 works - £54 for a Toyo is cheap enough))

had a look on the web and mytyres seem to have some good prices on 215/40/16's. toyo proxes for about £49, avon zz3's for £56 and pirelli p-zero neros for £58. Ill probably get the tyres fitted when i get the wheels refurbed, I was going to spray them up myself but might just take them to BJV and let them have the hassle :)

would 225's have any rubbing issues if the car is lowered 40mm?

one of my mates got a really good deal on a pair of 17" p-zero rossos for £99 with 7mm of tread on them from a garage on ebay so might have a look on there for any deals :)

possibly shouldve thought a bit harder about the wheel width but id been looking for a set of C's in 16" for ages and they came up at a good price so i snapped them up.

225 may rub, all depends on the offset. My 205's currently do not rub, but the 205's on different rims did rub a tiny bit, all on -60mm. I'd say agood chance they'd be ok. Those prices seem normal.

ok i think ill stick with the 215s then. the wheels are et 30 vs et38 for the stock wheels, so combined with the extra width the new wheels will sit about 20mm further out in the arches i think.

cheers for your help :)

ok i think ill stick with the 215s then. the wheels are et 30 vs et38 for the stock wheels, so combined with the extra width the new wheels will sit about 20mm further out in the arches i think.

that should look great. and you will be happy you went with 215s. what are the wheels?

that should look great. and you will be happy you went with 215s. what are the wheels?

various120002.jpg

16x 7.5 Borbet c's :)

and theyre going on this: (but it now has mk4 passat GL bumpers which are colour coded black, and its gonna get lowered 40mm on koni TA shocks and PI springs which are in my boot, just need a spare weekend to fit them!)

_DSC0022web.jpg