Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Anybody used any of the magic car puncture repair kits/foam,

Was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience of using the car puncture repair kits that are around?

Usually some kind of foam or sealant.

Thinking of ditching the spare wheel to make more room in the boot.

Used one many (like 10) years ago and it did the job no problem but obviously you're then meant to stick to 50mph or something. Whats worse is that they said to me normally they cant then repair the tyre, they managed it with mine but said I was lucky. If you're unlucky with punctures that could be expensive!

That said, I don't know if things have moved on with these things now?

I'm not convinced by these as I seem to have two types of puncture neither of which would have used a can of foam:

1) Nail in tyre, normally OK until you pull out the nail, I spotted one a few Fridays ago in my back tyre and still drove 250 miles home from work with no problem, therefore no need of foam.

2) 95mph motorway outside lane blowout, no tyre left to squirt foam into!

lol, ok! blowouts maybe a bit beyond their reach!

its when you don't spot the nail and the cars left for a few days for the air to trickle out that you have the problem..

Yep, thats one of the queries I have.

If I use the foam is the tyre then knackered and unrepairable?

I used the foam stuff in the pressurised can that inflated your tire and seals any punctures, it managed to get me from dundee to aberdeen without any problems at a steady 70mph, i always keep one in the car these days just in case

The foam stuff does work, but a lot of fitters will refuse to repair the tyre afterwards. That's mainly cos it makes a nasty mess that's a complete pig to clean up though. If you get a particularly bored/sadistic fitter then they might have a crack.

TBH tho - if you've got breakdown cover anyway, use that... :lol:

I Got stuck on the A14 the other week as a passenger in a colleagues SEAT. By the time we'd found a laybyto stop in (about a mile) the tyre was beyond repair. The foam/compressor in the boot was no use, it took a good hour or so before we got recovered to a local tyre fitter.

He's getting a spare wheel now, I'm thinking of changing my spacesaver to a full sized spare. The boot in a corrado isn't *that* small is it?

neil

It depends on what vintage your C is - the later cars have a 70 litre fuel tank instead of a 50 litre one, so the boot floor is slightly higher. Either way, you'd need a different boot carpet with a big hump in it to accomodate the full-size spare.

I've actually got the situation where my space saver is only good for the back wheels - it won't fit over the front brakes. So if I get a flat on the front, I gotta swap a wheel with the back and put the space saver on the back... or just call the AA and watch a movie :lol: