Sign in to follow this  
Rod 1

new to the forum and already in need of help

hello all. bought my corrado a few months ago as a project. always wanted one since i saw our window cleaner's at the age of 4 and i finally have one :D it's only the 1.8 16v but i love her to bits. should be a vr6 soon though :)

anyway. like i said i bought it as a project and with project cars come troubles here are just a few i need help with;

Electric windows:

my electric windows packed up. turns out it was just the switches cuz the wiring and motors are fine. i rang the local vw garage to get some replacements but the ones they supplied were not the same. visually they are identical but rather than just plugging in, the ones in mine need the wires soldering to them. to top it all off there is no part number on them. any idea where i can get some replacements

Front end damage;

The previous owner decided to drive a piece of classic german quality into something and thus damaged my front bumper, slam pannel, bonnet and cross member any ideas where i can get replacements? the breakers round here very rarely get corrado's in (i can understand why :lol: )

Engine;

I've been told by my local breakers that my engine is sound but im only 80% convinced. on start up it sometimes smokes and the tappets seem a little loud. any ideas what could be causing this?

Fan;

Finally when my engine heats up my fan kicks in as normal but when i come to a stop and turn the engine off etc it doesn't turn off again at all (well at least until the battery dies that is :lol: )...

sorry to make my introduction a bit of an inquizition but i could really do with a bit of help. half the people round here dont know what a corrado is let alone can offer advice on one :lol:

well i've got into the habit of unplugging it after 5 mins or so because last time i left it i went to start the car but the battery was totally flat. had to jump it off my old mk2 :lol:

as for the fan running on , check around the airbox for a brown wire(may have black heat shrink tubing around it. If iyou have one and its touching the body, when you turn your car off the fan wont stop.had exactly the same thing happen to mine.just taped it up and put it out the way. its supposed to go to a temp sender on some models but mine doesnt have it there

where the wire comes from( seen leading off the bottom right corner)

DSC00222.jpg

heres the bastid wire!

DSC00221.jpg

Are you sure the window switches are actually broken? If there aren't bits rattling around inside they might just need a clean.

If you get a can of electrical contact cleaner in Halfords and douse them with a load of that - do they spring back into life?

If not, post up on here in the wanted section - the same goes for the other body parts you need. There's usually a car or two being broken.

There were two variants of the interior and the front end in the Corrado, so you want to know which of each you've got.

Early interior has slidey heater controls and window switches set vertically in the door. Late interior has dial heater controls and switches set in the door pod, facing up.

Early front end had recessed foglights, narrow front wings, slightly more vertical headlights, many-slatted grille and a bonnet that has a dip in the middle.

Late front end has almost flush fogs, slightly wider front wings, slightly more sticky-out headlights, 4-slat grille and a bonnet with a bulge in the middle.

The parts are mostly interchangeable, but if you get ones that don't match, it'll be obvious when you bolt them on.

glad to be of help! i havent got a clue about the electric windows as i have a budget corrado with keep fit windows lol.

as for the smoke on start up, may be the valve stem seals not 100 percent sure. had the same thing happen on my 1.3 golf and after changing the stem seals the problem was gone. you have to take the head off to do that though.

as for it being loud it could actualy be the tappets. you can buy new ones and i think you can also clean up the old ones.

if you do end up doing the stems seals you may aswell do the tappets at the same time.

You might be able to get teh stem seals replaced with the head in situ, if the guides are worn the new seals wont last that long, better to get the whole head redone ... it would deffinatly be worth a touch of porting/polishing

noooo, spoke too soon on the radiator fan front, she's still not turning off. but i did notice that the tempreture on the dash wasn't dropping either even though the engine felt cool. could this be a faulty sensor?

secondly another problem has arose. everytime (after the cars warmed up) the rev's drop below around 2'500rpm my oil light comes on a buzzes away at me. im thinkin there is an oil leak anywhere, could this also be a reason why my car is smoking?.. burning oil maybe?

any help would be very appreciated i'm finding i cant enjoy my car as much as i should :(