mondy

Mondys Nugget Yellow G60 - 1.9 Rebuild

Thanks for the comments! I'm still waiting for the engine machining place to finish with the block and head so I'm beginning to run out of stuff to do now until they get finished.

I got the block back from the machinist yesterday so I got it all cleaned up and painted it:

06102007002.jpg

06102007003.jpg

06102007007.jpg

06102007006.jpg

The head should be ready on monday or tuesday but they're having a bit of trouble getting the bigger valves fitted. Now I've got the block back it should keep me busy until the head is ready though!

Great to see this car being looked after so well 8) , it was in a right state when I bought it.

To be honest I've had nothing but trouble from it since I got it last year (it's reliability is a subject of many jokes from my family and friends ) so I'm trying to do everything I can think of to make sure it's bullet proof so I can finally drive it for more than a couple of weeks without having to replace another thing!

The only thing is once all this has been done it's going to need a full respray as well as there's a bad rust patch just above the windscreen and stonechips on most panels - I guess that will be a job for next summer once my bank account has recovered from all this work :)

Got a little bit more done on it this week.

The pistons are in:

18102007022.jpg

A couple of pictures of the head with the new valves in:

18102007024.jpg

18102007025.jpg

And finally the head is back on the block. Also replaced all the core plugs:

18102007026.jpg

18102007028.jpg

18102007029.jpg

Tomorrow's job is to either get all the ancillaries put back on the engine or get the engine bay painted - not decided which to do yet!

The subframe and wishbones do look awesome. Think I've got to put that on my wishlist now, damn you ;)

The subframe and wishbones do look awesome. Think I've got to put that on my wishlist now, damn you ;)

I spent ages trying to decide what colour I was going to get them done in. Originally I thought black but then thought about doing something a bit different and was going to get them done yellow so that they matched the car. However, if they didn't match exactly I thought they'd look stupid so went with a colour that was going to match the engine instead. Then I couldn't decide whether they looked too chavvy but I reckon they've come out OK!

I put a bit more of the engine back together yesterday:

20102007032.jpg

20102007036.jpg

just seen this post now, looks like you've gotten through a lot of work there mate, any update? Really love the sound of the bbm supercharger :-P !!

just seen this post now, looks like you've gotten through a lot of work there mate, any update? Really love the sound of the bbm supercharger :-P !!

No there's not really been any more progress since the last photos. I started cleaning the engine bay wiring up and putting some new insulation stuff on it but ran out of it and haven't had chance to get to the place that sells it to get some more. I've also got to repaint the battery tray where I had to weld it up so can't even put the engine in until that's done. I meant to get the paint ordered for this weekend but never got round to it so looks like I won't be doing anything on it this weekend.

I can't believe I thought I'd have it running again by edition 38, it's funny how 1 job seems to turn into 100!

It would be a reasonable assumption to say the power levels you hope to achieve will be achievable.

Out of a similar set up on standard management it made 260bhp and 250lb/ft of torque on mine and was a really smooth hard pulling drive.

It would be a reasonable assumption to say the power levels you hope to achieve will be achievable.

Out of a similar set up on standard management it made 260bhp and 250lb/ft of torque on mine and was a really smooth hard pulling drive.

That's good to hear - to be honest I just want to get it running now as the diesel mondeo is getting a bit boring!

great work and a great thread, I love pics

Thanks!

It now looks like there won't be much more happening on this for a while as I've decided to get it fully resprayed while it's off the road. Hopefully taking it to the bodyshop tomorrow to see what they want me to take off it for them and when they can fit it in! I've been wanting to get it resprayed since I bought it so I'm quite looking forward to getting it done now and once it's done it might give me some more motivation to actually finish it off.

What pistons did you go for? 8)

I looking into going to 1.9 but also want to up the comp ratio to maybe 9:1

What pistons did you go for? 8)

I looking into going to 1.9 but also want to up the comp ratio to maybe 9:1

I decided on the BahnBrenner ones (actually made by Ross Racing Pistons) in the end, mainly due to price TBH! They do keep the stock compression ratio as well so not sure if they'd be any use to you.

I went to the bodyshop at the weekend to drop a couple of bits off that I forgot to take to them and managed to get a sneaky shot of what they've done on my car so far:

19012008048_new.jpg

They've got someone coming in to remove all the glass today and they're hoping to have it in primer by the end of the week!

Finally got the car back at the weekend - I'm really happy with the finish:

CIMG0373%20-%20Copy.jpg

CIMG0372.jpg

CIMG0374.jpg

CIMG0375%20-%20Copy.jpg

Now the long job of getting everything back on the car starts...

Wow that looks awesome :eek:

To think of how it was when I picked it up - I think everyone whos owned it since has sunk a good few quid into it so its been treated well :lol: it's fantastic to see it in such good hands mate 8)

quality thread. yellow looks deep "brilliant" colour and im sure the red bay will be a fantastic contract. itching to get mine in the bodyshop now.

have you decided on wheels?