Sign in to follow this  
JayGT

Recaro's keep blowing fuses.

Right so I've got my electric seats in. Wired em up with a loom from zerocool.

The damn things keep blowing fuses!? Started with a 20amp and have worked my way up to a 35 which still went pop :?

Any ideas?

Not tried it yet but theres gotta be a reason they keep blowin.

Also it came with a 20amp as to suggest that would provide enough resistance?

I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to electricty :lol: but I'd guess that just increasing the size of fuse is probably a bad idea. Sounds like somethings awry somewhere ...

I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to electricty :lol: ...

Nah me neither.... i'd happily stick an industrial size 1000 amp fuse in there to get over the problem... but not if it means they might one day set alight!! :D

I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to electricty :lol:

Unfortunatly I am VERY EXPERIENCED when it comes to electricity after being connected to a live wire for 4 mins when I was 8! shaking2: Apparently I'm a medical miracle (take that as you like! :lol: ) to be alive!!! On the upside Doctors believe I'll never have a heart attack as long as I live. On the downside of that I take it I'll just drop dead with no warning!!!! :gag:

Any ideas guys?

And how safe is it to keep increasing the amps? Would a 40 amp be ok?

Personally I wouldn't keep upping the fuse size but more over check the wiring out as they shouldnt need more than a 30amp fuse in them. I ran 30amp fuses in my porsche seats that were heated and electric!

Are you sat in the seat that you are motoring?

If so try it without being sat in it to remove some of the load from the motor.

Does the passenger one blow fuses as well?

If it does it is more likely to be a wiring fault than all 4 motors being busted.

I assume you are using a relay..?

are there any pivots or mechanisms to clean and lubricate? just an idea, but if somethings jammed then the motor will stall and draw laods more current till the fuse blows.

I second the previous opinions on fuse size....30A is fine. Any larger and you risk damaging the seat, your new wiring loom or (god forbid!!) your whole fusebox. You never said if the fuse blows the instant you applied power to the seats (i.e when the ignition is turned on) or when you try to use a motor. If it is when you try to use a motor then that motor is at fault/the mech it runs is at fault,dirty,b******d. If the fuse blows as soon as the seats are powered but with no other switch being pressed then you have a short to ground somewhere. In this case I would get someone who knows what they are doing to look at the seats....i.e. anyone with a multimeter. You will spend a fortune on fuses by the trial and error method! I am more than happy to help if I'm near enough...I'm near Robertsbridge, East Sussex.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for all the replys guys.

It only seems to do it on the drivers side seat which normally has me in it putting load on the motor. The motor for the back rest doesn't work (tested the switches so I know it's not those). Passenger side seems fine

It works for a while but then goes pop just when I think all is well. The seats weren't fitted by me but by a mate who is pretty clued up. As for whether there's a relay, I don't think so. The loom from zerocool had a VW plug connection to each seat, an inline fuse (which keeps dying :( ), a connection to the fuse box and an earthing point. I'm on the hunt for a motor to fix the rake adjustment but wouldn't have thought that would be the cause.

Flyferrari I might have to take you up on your offer!

i noticed on my recaros the other week that the function to raise passenger side doesn't work, is that likely to be a fuse?

Sometimes the sheathing on the wires inside the seat breaks down and causes a short so I would also check those. It does mean partially stripping the seats down but that is pretty easy.

i noticed on my recaros the other week that the function to raise passenger side doesn't work, is that likely to be a fuse?

Not if all the other bits still move ok as the fuse is for both motors.

It does indeed sound like one of the motors in the drivers seat is overloaded, hence the higher current draw and a blown fuse.

the back of seat still tips forward & back, so is this likely to be a motor?

not sure if i'll replace it, as its only the passenger side

Silly question but could the reason the rake adjust doesn't work be a broken wire/switch etc that intermittently shorts to ground taking the fuse out at the same time? I would be looking between the power-in point on the rake switch and the power-in to the motor. If it is possible could you unplug the wires from the rake adjust switch and insulate with electrical tape. See if the fuse continues to blow.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kevin