Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Pics needed of Samco VR6 hose set

I picked up some Samcos 2nd hand and there appears to be one missing.

Does anyone have a picture of them clearly laid out?

I did look on their site but the pic doesnt show them too clearly.

Hi, i've literally just started fitting mine last weekend (not finished yet as i'm changing the Rad and a load other stuff), i hav'nt got a pic of mine laid out (as they're all on the car now), but if you pm me a pic of yours i'll try to figure out which one your missing. To be fair 2 out of the 7 hoses i was'nt 100% sure what to do with and ended up fitting them on the intake side of things as they seemed to match the existing VAG breather hoses.

Hi, i've literally just started fitting mine last weekend (not finished yet as i'm changing the Rad and a load other stuff), i hav'nt got a pic of mine laid out (as they're all on the car now), but if you pm me a pic of yours i'll try to figure out which one your missing. To be fair 2 out of the 7 hoses i was'nt 100% sure what to do with and ended up fitting them on the intake side of things as they seemed to match the existing VAG breather hoses.

Ok nice one. Ill take a pic and send it you.

A bit OT but can you tell me a bit more about your Brembos-spec,price,fitment and where you got them?

no worries, the Brembo's are:-

Brembo GT Juniors with std Brembo pads - these were about £400 brand new from e-bay (still in the VAG boxes)

Carriers & High Tensile steel bolts - £90 (£45 a side)

323x28mm ATE grooved discs - £258 (£129 a side)

C&R hoses for the links to the new calipers - bout £50 (i think)

Basically i found the Brembo calipers on e-bay and then hunted around for somewhere to get some decent discs & carriers, and ended up giving Bill at Badger5.co.uk a call, he sorted out the discs & carriers (recomended grooved rather than drilled to avoid the discs cracking), i'd highly recomend him as the quality of the parts was spot on!

The whole lot was fitted by G-werks, i'm not too sure what the labour was as had some other stuff done at the same time, but would'nt have throught more than a couple of hours.

I think last time i checked Bill does the complete kits (calipers, discs, carriers, hoses) on his website for the VR for about £945 but this just comes with the plain (non-grooved) discs.

Well worth doing though as they're terrific brakes!

Ok nice one. Ill take a pic and send it you.

A bit OT but can you tell me a bit more about your Brembos-spec,price,fitment and where you got them?

Yes, I think I got 7 hoses and 2 of them carry air/fumes - not coolant. (These two are sitting on engine cover in pic.)

Two you do not get in the kit are for the oil cooler at the bottom of engine, IIRC.

thats the ones Craigowl!

by the way i can't believe how clean your engine bay looks, thats cracking.....can i come and eat my dinner of it! :)

p.s. did you use jubilee's to fix your Samco's in place (looks like it), as was going to get some nice stainless steel ones where the old VAG spring clips are so scabby looking now.

Yes, I think I got 7 hoses and 2 of them carry air/fumes - not coolant. (These two are sitting on engine cover in pic.)

Two you do not get in the kit are for the oil cooler at the bottom of engine, IIRC.

Yes,alex, I just used jubilees I bought at Halfords and with a brand name I recognised (having firstly made a list of the sizes and quantities I needed). I would agree stainless steel ones are a very sensible upgrade. Cheap clips will pinch or cut the hoses and go rusty.

The clean engine compartment is courtesy of Autoglym Engine Cleaner followed by their Vinyl/rubber Protector.

Car ain't for dirty weather driving either!

If you read the instructions on the label on the Engine Cleaner bottle it will describe how to do it. Have not come across anything better in 38 years of looking after cars. 8)

cheers ears :) , i just sat down and worked out exactly what i needed and ordered them all up on the web, managed to find proper jubilees in stainless steel so should do the trick nicely! Fitting a Mocal oil cooler too so think i'll do the oil pipes as well to make sure.

That Autoglym stuff certainly looks like it does the job my engine bays still got mud splatters in it from the carparks at Glastonbury and The Glades so needs attention!

Yes,alex, I just used jubilees I bought at Halfords and with a brand name I recognised (having firstly made a list of the sizes and quantities I needed). I would agree stainless steel ones are a very sensible upgrade. Cheap clips will pinch or cut the hoses and go rusty.

The clean engine compartment is courtesy of Autoglym Engine Cleaner followed by their Vinyl/rubber Protector.

Car ain't for dirty weather driving either!

If you read the instructions on the label on the Engine Cleaner bottle it will describe how to do it. Have not come across anything better in 38 years of looking after cars. 8)

Alex - Cheers for all the info on the hoses and brakes. The brakes sound awesome. Would just need to find if they will fit behind 7.5 x 17 BBS RX? Look up Virsol on ebay for cleaning your engine bay. It comes as 5l and you dilute it. Its awesome on wheel and engine bays. Its made mainly from citrus so no real acid content.

Craigowl - Thanks for that picture. It all makes sense now. Looks like im missind the two that dont carry coolant so im not too bothered.

Not sure if you two would be interested but ive started a group buy feeler for the gruvenparts billet radiator neck.

Yes, I saw that, Mk1Campane. :)

I like quality components, but being an old git and not working, it will need to come down in price with the group buy for me to go for it.

no worries mate, they are very good brakes and i do honestly think they were worth the investment (have saved my skin a couple of times already), keep an eye out on the bay for new calipers as they do pop up from time to time and it helped me shave a few hundred squid off the price of a full kit!

re: the 17x7.5 BBS's i'm not 100% sure tbh, the calipers on those Brembo's are quite chunky and it really limits your choice of wheels, your 17's will clear the 323mm discs no problem, the tricky bit is the distance between the back of you wheel spokes and the calipers, i think from memory the GT Juniors need between 45-51mm clearance (if you measure out from you hub face to the back of your spokes) i.e. keeping the tape flat on the horizontal plane (i'm running 17x8" OZ Racing Superturismo GT's which literally just about clear). Perhaps worth asking Corozin on here as he's got more experience with them on different VR's & wheels.

This Brembo website might help you a bit as there's an electronic catalogue of their products against most VAG models:-

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerforman ... Catalogue/

If you select 'VW' then in model 'Golf GTI, 1.8T, VR6 Front' this is the closest option i could find to the Corrado VR (i.e. only lists the Corrado G60 specifically), there's some very handy diagrams that give you clearance guides.

I'll have a look on the bay for that engine bay cleaner too as sounds interesting!

no worries mate, they are very good brakes and i do honestly think they were worth the investment (have saved my skin a couple of times already), keep an eye out on the bay for new calipers as they do pop up from time to time and it helped me shave a few hundred squid off the price of a full kit!

re: the 17x7.5 BBS's i'm not 100% sure tbh, the calipers on those Brembo's are quite chunky and it really limits your choice of wheels, your 17's will clear the 323mm discs no problem, the tricky bit is the distance between the back of you wheel spokes and the calipers, i think from memory the GT Juniors need between 45-51mm clearance (if you measure out from you hub face to the back of your spokes) i.e. keeping the tape flat on the horizontal plane (i'm running 17x8" OZ Racing Superturismo GT's which literally just about clear). Perhaps worth asking Corozin on here as he's got more experience with them on different VR's & wheels.

This Brembo website might help you a bit as there's an electronic catalogue of their products against most VAG models:-

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerforman ... Catalogue/

If you select 'VW' then in model 'Golf GTI, 1.8T, VR6 Front' this is the closest option i could find to the Corrado VR (i.e. only lists the Corrado G60 specifically), there's some very handy diagrams that give you clearance guides.

I'll have a look on the bay for that engine bay cleaner too as sounds interesting!

Are the calipers generic or model specific? What would i be looking out for if i searched on ebay?

Are the calipers generic or model specific? What would i be looking out for if i searched on ebay?

To be 100% honest Ben i'm not sure, mine were advertised as being for an early Audi TT so i figured anything mentioning the Golf (up to mk4), earlier TT, A3 etc would be ok on a Corrado (working on the theory that a lot of peops go for the stock TT 312 setup so you should be able to use Brembo's that were destined for these models too). Have seen a few sets come up on German e-bay.de so thats well worth a trawl. If it was me i'd set up a few of those e-bay automated searchs for just Brembo 4 pot / or think the German translation is '4 Kolben' plus VW / Audi etc and see what turns up.

Watch out you don't end up buying a set of the full size Brembo Grand Turismo's though as they really are big bast**** (the ones the Seat Leon Cupra R uses) can distinguish them from the GT Juniors by a pipe running externally at the bottom of the caliper that seems to link either side of the caliper.