Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Is this uprated headlight loom worth fitting?

I have read through many of the posts already regarding the different looms going about, and I see that there is a list of people at the moment waiting on a plug n play one when they become available, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this one, and is it worth fitting it?

Bought it about a year ago and at the moment the front bumper is off the car, so thought it was an ideal time to get this fitted. Would prefer though to have dim lights than no lights though, so would like some opinions please, thanks

0003.jpg

It's pretty basic like the one which I have fitted. So far it's lasted for over five years, so can't be that bad. Make sure you grease and then tape up the connectors in order to stop corrosion and the water getting in.

As it only has one relay, it's only going to be able to control either the dipped or main beam. Don't be surprised if once fitted to the dipped beam, it becomes brighter than the main beam! You may as well fit it; you have nothing to lose.

That said, it looks like fitting involves cutting off the standard connectors and crimping to the original wires. I wouldn't recommend that, and would modify that loom to become removable. At least that way, if it does fail, you can simply reconnect the original loom to the headlight. Like you say, crap lights are better than no lights.

seems a bit too basic to me, my kit has 4x30Amp relays, and 5 fuse's although i am running 130w high beams.

i also dont like non sealed crimps under the bonnet, they let water in, corrode and then break, same with the relay, soldered joints with self amalgamating tape or adhesive lined heatshrink are the best solution imo.

I helped this morning to fit this loom ( I read the instructions out lol), and it does work but as you say bcstudent, the dipped has definetely brightened, but looks like it has dulled the main beam. This doesnt worry me too much at the moment, but I will check it out later when its dark to see if it is okay to keep for now.

I am just so chuffed that I can see white lights instead of the yellowish glow I have had for 9 years!

coolrado...which kit do you have and where did you get it from? It sounds a better long term option

i made it myself, there arent any looms availiable to the same spec as far as i am aware.

my job is fitting electrical kit to vehicles so i had all the parts lying around.

I don't understand why no one is mass marketing good quality uprated looms for the Corrado. They'd sell a shed load of them, even if they were just a limited run!

not just the corrado either most earlier vw's have pretty pants lights, its not even as if they have degraded over time according to a few people i know they where pretty poor when they where new.

if i had the time to make up a load of looms and post them all out i would.

Why's it pink? :lol:

Must be one of Dinkus' early prototypes.

yea that loom looks like about 1/3 of the "full" loom youd want to do all the headlights.

the loom i made for the passat has 3 relays and 3 fuses- one relay/fuse for each dip beam, and the other ones for both the main beams.

my thinking was that i dont very often use the main beams but if that fuse goes then ive still got both dip beams. You could add another relay+fuse to have both the main beams independant tho.

i soldered all the connections and raided a mk3 passat that was in the scrappers for a bunch of plugs so i didnt have to cut any of the original wiring :) whack a set of osram silverstars or similar and your sorted, loads brighter+safer.

what made it even more fun was fitting a mk4 passat bumper on whioch had extra indicators in, i put clear bulbs in and wired them into the main beam loom which gave me another 44 watts of light on the road :)

before the mod i measured 10.1volts accross the bulb, after the mod i measured 11.8volts. That was without the engine running btw.

Lufbramatt? Do ou have a wiring diagram of the setup you've made up for your headlights? That way, at least if there is someone competent enough they could do the same and maybe sell them here too. Andyvw seems to be too busy at teh moement so its unfair to expect him to make a bundle of looms for us. Thanks.

i did have, was a back of an envelope jobbie though.

Ill draw one up tonight and work out the wire colours too and post it up, no probs 8)

If the dipped beam becomes brighter than the main beam then is it ok to drive around on the main beam if we dont have the uprated loom on.

Tried this recently and on dark country lanes and guess what not 1 flash from any1, not sure if they were blinding ppl or not lol

Hey man thats pretty much the same as mine!

And u will fully notice the differance!

Mine is only for main or full so i put it on main and its almost better then the full beam!

Alot brighter!

And also super easy to fit!