Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Project Alfa :)

I know, I know. It's not even a dub, let alone a corrado or even german!! But have you tried the Alfa forums?!! ;)

So, a couple of months ago I bought an Alfa 156 GTA 3.2 V6. 2003 with 38k on the clock and 250bhp :)

I then immediately swore that I would NOT modify this car. A few weeks down the line and the first mods are on!! :)

Ragazzan stainless exhaust with one less silencer.

Autodelta carbon air intake and filter.

Next up it's coilies! So the non-modifying is going extremely badly so far :(

A few pics...... i'll stick some of the exhaust and intake up tomorrow if it stops raining!

Be nice - yes it's a pasta-wagon, but it's also a beast so try and keep an open mind :)

Lovely car.

Are Autodelta still in Park Royal - used to have dealings with them when my (first) wife had a Cinquecento Sporting - really know their stuff.

Lovely car.

Are Autodelta still in Park Royal - used to have dealings with them when my (first) wife had a Cinquecento Sporting - really know their stuff.

Yes they are mate. Haven't actually been there myself. I got the parts from there and they were fitted by Sanspeed in Bexleyheath who seem to know their stuff too! I've heard very good things about Autodelta.

Loks cool mate 8)

How is the driving experience?

Amazing Stanley!! :)

It's very quick - a big step up from a standard VR. That doesn't take anything away from a VR though! Brilliant car :)

It is nice and torquey and flexible low down in the rev range, gets pretty exciting from 3500-500 revs, then goes absolutely ballistic from 5000-7000! Truly awesome - I am totally addicted already! It also sounds fantastic, especially with the new exhaust and intake. Really grunty and throaty, then quite raspy and manic at high revs.

It handles really nicely too, although it's a bit too soft for me as standard. I've been used to the rado on H&R Clubsports, so there's a bit more body-roll/movement than i'd like. That will be sorted with the coilies though :)

It's a really neutral handling car imo (except in the wet - see comment below!). Not the massive understeerer that 250bhp and FWD would suggest. It's got pretty trick double wishbone front suspension which obviously helps. I'm getting used to it now and can really chuck it around. Different to the rado though - I loved the way my VR moved about in the corners, four wheel drifting to perfection, but the alfa is a bit too heavy for that I guess. maybe just more mechanical grip too?

I'm only just discovering what it's like in the wet - mental!! I've never had a front wheel drive car that is so prone to oversteer! It's so throttle-adjustable. Brilliant :)

I love it. I still go out for a drive about 6 times a day just for the hell of it. I just took my mate for a spin, and he told me to let him out about 1/2 a mile from where he was going cos he didn't want to go round any more corners in the Alfa - big girls blouse :)

That's a very nice-looking car and, no doubt, very capable. However, that engine looks like a complete 'mare to work on. I'd guess that pretty-much everything is an engine-out job!

That's a very nice-looking car and, no doubt, very capable. However, that engine looks like a complete 'mare to work on. I'd guess that pretty-much everything is an engine-out job!

Indeed mate.

New exhaust manifolds sir? Engine out! :shock:

BUT

Bothered!! It aint about how easy it is to work on dude!!!!! :)

Indeed mate.

BUT

I hear ya'. However, I can't abide parting with cash for mechanical work to be done, so that's basically the first thing I look at: ease of maintenance. I can understand that with engine to play with you weren't looking at the same things as me! Beautiful car.

Liking that very much!

I hope you stick with those wheels as they are automotive art.

Thanks mate :)

I agree completely. There was a 10 spoke 18 inch wheel option, but they look nasty next to the teledials. I think these are sexy as hell! :)

Indeed mate.

BUT

I hear ya'. However, I can't abide parting with cash for mechanical work to be done, so that's basically the first thing I look at: ease of maintenance. I can understand that with engine to play with you weren't looking at the same things as me! Beautiful car.

Yeah I'm an idot with a spanner mate, so it wasn't even on the list of requirements. I must admit this was a heart purchase rather than a head one! :)

I must admit this was a heart purchase rather than a head one! :)

All alfas are!! Damn I want one!

Very nice Pasta Wagon you got there Will, look forward to seeing this in person soon! :)

p.s. totally agree with the above post about the Teledials, lovely wheels with great brake clearance too

Very nice Pasta Wagon you got there Will, look forward to seeing this in person soon! :)

p.s. totally agree with the above post about the Teledials, lovely wheels with great brake clearance too

Evening mate :)

Enough clearance to fit something like this behind you mean? ;)

here we go again eah!!! i've said it before & i'll say it again 3.8L by next year!!! :)

p.s. thought those calipers said 'Prada' for a minute :lol: they do look damn nice though!

here we go again eah!!! i've said it before & i'll say it again 3.8L by next year!!! :)

p.s. thought those calipers said 'Prada' for a minute :lol: they do look damn nice though!

lol :)

Just sold enough shinyness to buy some coilies for the Alfa! :)

so i see, on with the next phase of the plan then! :)

Yep, the 'non-modding' plan eh!!!!! :?

Possibly looking at KW V3s.

Mmmmm nice choice, was drooling over those myself before another option :) came along, perhaps Daz could be persuaded to source you a set? as he sells a lot of the KW stuff!

Mmmmm nice choice, was drooling over those myself before another option :) came along, perhaps Daz could be persuaded to source you a set? as he sells a lot of the KW stuff!

I received his quote about an hour ago dude! Great minds and all that :)

Quick update for those of you who mocked me for having faith in modern Alfa Romeos and buying a GTA....

So how has the reliability been?

Hmmm...... replaced so far......

Lower wishbone

Front ARB and droplinks (?)

Air-con needed mending

Clutch

Diff

Gearbox!

So I admit, i've had more reliable cars. Actually not really to be fair - all my cars suffer terrible lives and then die with little or no dignity remaining. But it's not exactly a Beemer!! ;)

Wouldn't dream of selling it though. It rocks :)