Sign in to follow this  
Lufbramatt

headlights loom wiring diagram

As requested in the other thread, heres the basic wiring diagram i used to uprate the headlihgt wiring. I used 30amp flexible wire all round, 20amp fuses, 30amp relays and soldered conections wherever possible. The fuses should be as close to the battery terminals as possible in case theres a short to the car bodyshell.

This plan gives separate relays and fuse for each dip beam and a shared one for the main beams to cut down on parts but retain reliability. You dont want both your dip beams failing due to one fuse blowing!

To make it work you have to unplug the dim-dip resistor which is a cylinder tucked under one of the wings about the size of a pack of polo mints, just unplug the yellow wire going to it and your sorted.

Most guides forget to mention that you need to put a jumper wire in between the existing loom and the sidelight!

The wire colours at the top going to the plugs are the wires in the existing loom, ive taken these colours from my passat so it might be a good idea if someone checks these are right for the 'rado. The wires you need are:

drivers side:

yellow/black= dip beam

green/black= sidelight.

passenger side:

yellow= dip beam

white= main beam

green/red= sidelight

I left the existing plugs in place and used some plugs from a scrapper to connect in my loom but spade terminals fit straight into the existing plugs if you dont want to cut them off.

I put in separate earths for each bulb back to the battery - terminal rather than rely on any existing chassis earths as youre trying to minimise resistance.

lightsweb.jpg

sorry it looks a bit complicated, its simple really. the 3 circuits are essentially the same.

Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

Likewise. I'm sure many others will appreciate it too.