Sign in to follow this  
JayGT

How much heatwrap?

Couldn't find the answer on a search so here goes.

Need to wrap a Raceland 6 branch manifold and not sure how much of the stuff i'll need.

Thermotec do it in:

2" x 50' (15.24 metres)

1" x 50' (15.24 metres)

1" x 15' (4.57 metres)

So do I go for the 1" thick or the 2" and how many packs of each.

Cheers

May sound like a silly question but do you have to wrap them? They look a lot pretter wwithout the wrapping...

Very true mate. Its on, has turned that lovely gold/purple colour and looks beatuiful but you can feel the heat coming off it a mile away!!

Also my under bonnet temps are slightly hotter than I'd like. I understand that stainless steel doesn't keep the heat in like the original manifold does and an unwrapped one won't perform as well as a wrapped one. Could be wrong though....

Sounds pretty cool too :D

Couldn't find the answer on a search so here goes.

Need to wrap a Raceland 6 branch manifold and not sure how much of the stuff i'll need.

Thermotec do it in:

2" x 50' (15.24 metres)

1" x 50' (15.24 metres)

1" x 15' (4.57 metres)

So do I go for the 1" thick or the 2" and how many packs of each.

Cheers

I used the Thermotec Copper wrap 1"x50 and 1"x15. Get loads of ties think I used 20 in total. Also its best to coat the wrap with the thermotec high temp seal spray, something I am yet to do but will do when I get it back from the machine shop, (slight porting work), before it's fitted.

I understand that stainless steel doesn't keep the heat in like the original manifold does and an unwrapped one won't perform as well as a wrapped one. Could be wrong though....

No, that's right. Gases move faster when they're hotter, so by insulating the exhaust manifold you are keeping the exhaust system hotter and as such the gases will flow quicker, which could well mean they leave the cylinder head quicker too. But that's a theory.

Has anyone heard about waterproofing / painting manifold before wrapping? Heard a few horror stories about mild steel items collecting water/condensation and then promoting rust in these water collecting spots.

J

Yep lagging the manifold is a good idea for performance and radiant heat reasons.

Wait until winter arrives, then you will feel the difference between a lagged and unlagged manifold.

I've seen an unlagged 6 branch start melting the plastic intake pipe on a VR, so be careful, that is why VW put that heat deflecting plate on the stock manifolds.

I would personally use 2" wide wrap as you can over lap it more and I would also use jubilee clips to hold it in place rather than stainless ties as they're more robust, reusable, cheaper and hold the material tighter.