Sign in to follow this  
foxhound81

16v conversion

Hi,

I'm looking at converting my 8v G60 over to 16v. I found a head from a jetta that's 1.8 16v, came outta a GLS i believe. I'm just checking to see if this head will bolt onto my G60's block. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know nothing about the conversion, but I know that people in the know quote around £5,000+ for the conversion!

the 16v head will bolt straight on .... best thing to do is join up on the 16vg60 yahoo e.groups there are lots of people in the u.s who are undertaking this conversion and could save you $10000's in free info

Best bet is to ask/PM John (16VG60) as he's been running a 16VG60 for a while now and knows most of the ins and outs behind it.... 8)

He's pretty good with dishing out the knowledge and has always been totally straight and honest with me... 8)

Yeah I was checking out the Bahnbrenner site. It says i'm going to need:

a 16V Secondary shaft and gears complete

What exactly are they talking about. Sorry but I'm new to some of this. My main concern was if the head would bolt right on or not, but the g-man answered that for me.

the shaft they are referring to is the intermediate shaft that currently drives your distributor and your oil pump on yuyour 8v,, the 16V has a distributor mounted on the end of a camshaft therefore you will need to use a 16 valve intermidiate shaft and the gear which drops in where your distributor is currently mounted along with the blanking off cap to drive your oil pump,,,

It may well bolt on, but then what do you do about the breather? 16v breathes through the block, G60 breathes through the head.

Oh, and as for CR, have you even considered what will happen to that?

bang an ABA cross flow 8v head on it and a turbo.

Also, I thought that the 16V head requires specific pistons else the valves/head won't clear the pistons even when they're closed?

There's more to this conversion that just strapping on a head... As I said before, have a word with John (16VG60) and he'll point you in a reasonable direction! 8)

I agree with you as well PhatVR6 compression ratios are pretty important to consider when you're force inductioning your engine... If bolting a supercharger to a standard 16V engine is a bad idea, then just bolting a 16V head straight on is probably almost as daft! :?

and if you're going to need pistons anyway, then why use a G60 block? just go for a 2.0 16v setup and stick low compression forged pistons in that.

But then you'll find the G-Lader is a waste of time, so you'll be looking at turboing it, in which case, you may as well fit a 1.8T and do it for half the build cost.

Too much to list out on this thread, but hey why not try dropping me a line as Henny suggested, you could be the recipient of all the info you require to have a 16V conversion. I'm running this engine myself and just for starters, the head will fit straight onto the PG block, no the bolt pattern is not different the 8V niether are the oil/waterways, you will require different pistons, you will also require the intermediate shaft crank pulley and oil pump from the KR engine.