Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

Stonechip tape

Was leaving VW Festival last week when i saw one of the lads taping up the front of his car with some blue masking tape style stuff, presumably to prevent stone chips on the way home, anyone know if its a special tape or where to get it? I want some :D

Was leaving VW Festival last week when i saw one of the lads taping up the front of his car with some blue masking tape style stuff, presumably to prevent stone chips on the way home, anyone know if its a special tape or where to get it? I want some :D

we use blue masking tape in the bodyshop, i doubt it was anything more exciting.

I'd guess it was just masking tape too, but you can buy clear sticky-back laminate type stuff to stick to the front edge of the bonnet/wings.

No idea where to get it from tho...

The blue tape is masking tape specificaly for use on cars, its made by 3m and is available from suppliers of detailing kit. The only thing that is 'special' about is that it isnt as sticky thus not leaving any adhesive behind when its removed...

Sounds like the 3M detailing tape - much better taking the stick off other people and buying a bonnet bra :lol:

so if it isnt very sticky, what happens if you drive down the motorway at 70+MPH and starts to come off?? might look a bit Blue Peter!! haha :lol:

Correct Dan, you look like a complete Charlie when its flapping around in the wind..

Its not designed for that though, its for masking during polishing, blackening trim etc...

Aye thats the place where i got mine and all my other cleaning bits, cant recommmend these guys enough...

you can get the plastic from Paintshield, but not sure about patterns to fit Corrados??

btw, excellent thread Rob :D

edit: forget that link cos that's an american one, but I know that Paintshield exists over here lol. There's also Armourfend, I think...

so if it isnt very sticky, what happens if you drive down the motorway at 70+MPH and starts to come off?? might look a bit Blue Peter!! haha :lol:

Correct Dan, you look like a complete Charlie when its flapping around in the wind..

Its not designed for that though, its for masking during polishing, blackening trim etc...

I presume its low tack masking tape, its also used when painting a two tone car.

Not sure it would be the ideal solution to stone chips to be honest, that said I've never been able to see the point of covering the car with bra's etc anyway, no point having nice paint and hiding it away :?

I'm still a bit confused about the car bra thing - surely they must lift up at speed and get dust/dirt under them that then scratches the paint?

And/or doesn't the paint fade more outside the bra than it does inside, thus leaving a mark should you ever take it off.

Edit: and awesome blue tape thread on vortex! :lol: