CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

I could make out of steal,but I need to keep weight down,and you can buy them quite cheap now and they look pro!.as for the 4" tube im keeping some spare as im going to make three or so to sell on. 8)

as for the cooper pipe i cant see that they would soak up any heat,as long as you dont run it on top of the exhaust or something like that! :lol: plus on the moove they should cool !

Ive seen diesel coolers under most new cars now with very fine fins on the line to cool the fuel,this would work well if the pipe was 19mm!! me thinks...

Cool!

Edit:

I just had a plan... Might not be the most practical idea, or work :lol: but... Are you running with a rear strut brace? Could you use that as the water tank, like Big Ron thingumywhatsit had on his mk1 vr at E38 this year??

i understand the dilema your having James, but i'm 95% sure that both dave, and alex (lizardracing) are both using the PWR barrel chargecoolers without tanks in the boot?? and daves charger outlet pipe is cold to the touch even after a long hard thrash 8)

i will be putting my heat exchanger behind the passengers side foglight (that i will be taking out) and also using a 9" spal fan for extra cooling. also i'm using an r32 external water pump, and that is flowing at 19 litres a minute.

just my thoughts mate.

karl

If there that good why is alex using water injection as well :? . I know bills not cheap but its proven. Like the alloy water pipe idea james :)

By my working...

2 Gallons = 9l ish

Strut brace = 1m in legnth so you need a surface area of 90cm^2

Root(90/pi) = 5.35ish, so a 10 cm diameter pipe would be required. How much 4 inch pipe did you say you had??? lol....

By my working...

2 Gallons = 9l ish

Strut brace = 1m in legnth so you need a surface area of 90cm^2

Root(90/pi) = 5.35ish, so a 10 cm diameter pipe would be required. How much 4 inch pipe did you say you had??? lol....

Yea a 4" pipe for a strut brace :lol: that would look odd... :lol:

this is the pump that is used on the schimmell C/C http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku it pumps 20 gallon per minute 8)

or this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATER-PUMP-KIT-FO ... p1638.m122

Now that's a pump,the secret behind bills coolers me thinks...cheers Karl

no worries James, if your thinking about getting one?? let me no mate, we could order 2 and make the shipping loads less :)

no worries James, if your thinking about getting one?? let me no mate, we could order 2 and make the shipping loads less :)

Will do mate,but still am undecided,its all cost and to have a efficient chargecooler you need to spend the money in the right places..intercoolers is much simpler :(

Will do mate,but still am undecided,its all cost and to have a efficient chargecooler you need to spend the money in the right places..intercoolers is much simpler

If your still un-decided... take a look at some of the cars on these sites, they seem to favour the intercooler choice, tbh i think the germans seem to like the intercooler option, whilst a few cars from the states on the vwvortex forum definitely use the chargecooler option...

http://www.materialmord.de/start.htm

http://www.pph-motoring.de/index.php?section=main&last_section=main

depends on what you want, with that XS power cooler you can end up with less intercooler piping, so in theory it should help the car be lag free :wink:

but as you said intercoolers our much simpler 8)

Tony

You'll read many theories on the pros and cons of both cooling methods on the internet James, so I'd just go what you think is best for your application, personally 8)

You did a really good job of your FMIC and you know what's involved!

In terms of intake temps, both do a great job, but cooling hot metal with cold water will always be more efficient than blowing on it, it's pure physics :lol:

Only poorly specified and implemented chargecooler setups perform badly and it's these systems that internet experts tend to focus on when doing their comparisons with air-air. And likewise, undersized FMICs are equally bad. Over winter, poor setups are disguised by the colder and denser air as some cooling is better than nothing. It's the summer months that seperate the good inter/charge coolers from the bad ones ;-)

When weighing up your options for chargecooling, try not to reference to Bill's setup as it's at the extreme end of the market and the one he uses on his 800-1000hp sprint cars :lol:

Most under spec'd systems come unstuck with full throttle boosting, where turbo outlet temps can be as high as 80-90 degrees.

I'm making comparisons to Bills as this is the level I want to archive on a budget :lol: so i would like the same components to insure the nice cool charge temps im after,water does dissipate heat well and it conducts it well too,this is why the charge cooling needs to be right first time!

I've spent many hours now reading cons and pros until my glasses corroded away and the lenses hit the desk! and I still think I will be going down the chargecooler route,with the help of Dave on the inlet it would be rude not to fit a chargecooler :lol:

But this will be a slow progress for me with little cash :(

James, only just found this thread, but had a good read through. You just couldn't stay away could you :)

Addictive stuff the VRT!

I'd go chargecooler again, but second time around it would most likely be the XS like you and Karl.

Volume of water and pump flow rate are a bit more important with the XS coolers. The barrel type (PWR) uses a reverse flow method which is why it gets away with a smaller pump and rad. The cold water goes in the air outlet end of the cooler and makes its way out of the cooler against the air flow. So the coolest water is at the air outlet end, just as it should be.

The XS and Schimmel have water flowing across the core, so you need much more water to keep the outlet cold, and it'll tend to be colder at the water inlet side. In practice, with enough water moving across it'll be pretty much the same temp at both ends. Hence a big pump and plenty of water volume.

But you'll have less boost pressure drop restriction with the XS and Schimmel, because the core has to be longer in the air path on the barrel type.

Also remember, if you use larger diameter pipe, you can reduce the tank size and keep the same volume of water 8)

Think you've already weighed this lot up by the sound of it, sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :?

Im going with the chargecooler and am going to make it work !!! ha ha,thanks for the input guys,all input is welcome as i like to hear it off peeps off the CF!

Just waiting on a few more bits to arrive,got a spacer plate new from Germany for £42.00 posted!!!!!

Going to look and probably buy this white 16v raddo this Sunday,so this will keep me happy until the VR is done....and that going to take a while!!

Big thumbs up to you Dave with the help on manifold/mototronic ect Big thumbs up

Cheers

Well its update time...

Had my lower manifold milled to suit 4" round tube and am going to cut the inlets out and have it welded up,also having the end plates and throttle plate milled down to suit then its all go.

Got this nice SP angled throttle body adapter which will work nicely to aim it towards the chargecooler thanks Shaun.

Also got this new R32 aux water pump which should keep things nice and cool 8)

But the best bit is my new H reg 124k 16v white raddo which has all history,CD player,clean interior !! and lovely engine and a tighter box than my VR...don't go there :lol:

Just needs a few things to sort but its the best buy ive had for some time at a steal of £250.........yes.........£250......yes im chuffed 8)

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

and the valver.... :D

DSCN1370.jpg

DSCN1369.jpg

pleased your happy with the valver, you got a reet bargain there!! just pleased its been saved from the scrapyard coz she'd rather see it there than in the hands of some charver from ebay!!! i'll keep her informed on the progress of her old car coz she's much happier it's went to a good home! hope you get it sorted soon.

Its way to good to be scraped!! needs a few things doing but its sweet as a nut to drive...besides the rear brakes and a bearing or tyre off,nothing a good look over wont sort out and yes it was a steal(as you can tell i did no haggling) :lol: thanks Again Gary :D

You can't beat a nice cheap valver, I know exactly what you mean, cos the one I've got is a little gem. A bit rough around the edges, but drives great. I thought mine was a bargain at £500!

I like the manifold james, hows the clearance by the radiator with that tube. The reason I ask is that I decided on square section to get better volume with the limited space behind the rad? Looks just the job though 8)

The R32 pump does shift a surprising amount of water, considering it's size. Any idea what it actual flow rate is?

You can't beat a nice cheap valver, I know exactly what you mean, cos the one I've got is a little gem. A bit rough around the edges, but drives great. I thought mine was a bargain at £500!

I like the manifold james, hows the clearance by the radiator with that tube. The reason I ask is that I decided on square section to get better volume with the limited space behind the rad? Looks just the job though 8)

The R32 pump does shift a surprising amount of water, considering it's size. Any idea what it actual flow rate is?

Yes you cant beat cheap valvers are a good way to keep miles off my main toy (best tell Kev that) :lol: just kidding! ,those night pics make it look worse than it is but it is really a tidy motor!

The manifold has loads of clearance as the runners to the head are quite short,i think i could even run the bulky stock fans :shock: since ive started on this manifold first i will see how it turns out and if its crap i will go your manifold route 8)

As for the pump its rated are 13.5 lts@min but I will test this for myself when the time comes.

Off to play in the garage for a while..... :D

also got this spacer plate new 1.5mm stainless all the way from Germany posted for £41 quid.. 8)

DSCN1219.jpg

13.5lts/min, thats very good for the size. Might have to try one of those on mine.

I think mine is 400lts/hr, so yours would be more than double that...

Are you going with the stock fuel rail? It should fit OK as long as the TB is clear? That'll save a few quid if you can.

Sure the manifold will work out fine, I suppose the only thing you can't do is profile the inlet ports inside the tube after welding? But not sure how much difference that'll make with fi anyway.

Bargains gallore! Good price on the spacer, don't think I could get one laser cut for that much at the local place I use.

Look at this link Dave,this guy sells them as Weasto heater water pumps for a good price! Its OEM stuff and the part number is for a range of Vag cars's.Suv's ect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WEBASTO-EBERS ... dZViewItem

As for the rail its the stock item im using,seen 600hp cars with stock rails so the flow will be plentiful for my needs,just need to move the return to the top for clearance.

Ws going to get some trumpets and graft them in somehow but im doubting i will see any significant gains? and before I get the manifold sent away i will smooth the ports around but as its not that thick i will just have to take the edges off.

Its bargain month for me ! budget building VRT's :lol:

Im excited as to how cheap your going to get all the parts James. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to find out the minimum cost of having a VRT.

I bet ill be kicking myself :( :lol:

Im excited as to how cheap your going to get all the parts James. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to find out the minimum cost of having a VRT.

I bet ill be kicking myself :( :lol:

It will be budget besides the turbo which ive promised myself not to skimp on so i best get saving... :lol:

Had a quick moke up before i commit to welding the manifold..looking quite good so far.

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1223.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

some nice work (again) james, like you i did not like the "chavvy" xspower on the chargecooler, so i wet 'n' dryed the markings off, then i have had it ceramic coated so it will match all the other pipework.

some nice work (again) james, like you i did not like the "chavvy" xspower on the chargecooler, so i wet 'n' dryed the markings off, then i have had it ceramic coated so it will match all the other pipework.

Cheers Karl :thumbleft: going to make most bits black as i dont want high maintenance shiny bits to polish :lol: my XS is raised cast ..did you flatten yours off ok? I was thinking of doing this but did not want to pierce the cooler.

Where did you get the coating done Karl?