CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

Thats a big old turbo James!

Bit snug ain't it? Guess if you make your own you can point the turbo inlet forward a bit to clear the servo and twist it down a bit to make the exhaust sit a little bit better and avoid the gear cables.

I quite like the standard cast headers and a tubular turbo header would allow the positioning you need. Should work out OK.

Looking very tidy though.

Youre not hanging about mate, wasnt long since i saw this car and it was standard...

Im home again in March, expect a visitor..

Youre not hanging about mate, wasnt long since i saw this car and it was standard...

Im home again in March, expect a visitor..

Cheers Dave,hows your crazybox getting on? I also like the idea of using the oem cast manifolds ect to mount it like i want.. 8)

Goldie Im like that :lol: never hang about,call over anytime mate.

The last one i used and what many like Kev use on here is an SPA manifold,its a brazilian manifold and there casts are crap!

Indeed they are. I had to get a second one modified at huge expense.....but it has been perfect ever since to be fair.

I have a friend in the far east who is getting some tubular ones made....for RHD applications. Not far off getting a sample actually..... they will be pretty cheap.

The last one i used and what many like Kev use on here is an SPA manifold,its a brazilian manifold and there casts are crap!

Indeed they are. I had to get a second one modified at huge expense.....but it has been perfect ever since to be fair.

I have a friend in the far east who is getting some tubular ones made....for RHD applications. Not far off getting a sample actually..... they will be pretty cheap.

I was also looking into getting some made up or make my own but I like cast manifolds for strength as they are heavy turbos to be sitting on stainless tubes,even with bracing and thick wall 304 it wont be as strong as the cast,so im trying to get this one to work! and it fits and has much better clearance than the old SPA one and the exhaust will be a doddle to make up its just the intake thats a pain!

So ive made up the remote block for the master cylinder and this will allow me to fit a single reservoir out the way,same with the ABS as that will also get its own separate reservoir 8)

DSCN1422.jpg

DSCN1421.jpg

I want to overhaul my manifold and exhaust arrangements with something better, so I'll be keeping an eye on how yours works out 8)

The ones my mate is getting made are being done by a professional racing exhaust company. 304 for the flanges and 321 for the tubes. I enquired about bracing straps as I had the same doubts as you and the engineer said it won't be necessary :-)

It's basically going to match the layout of the XXX manifold, so existing XXX users won't need a new down pipe and the 321 stainless runners will be equal length to pulse the turbo more efficiently 8)

Should be good when it's done!

Sounds like a plan Kev. Could be very interested if the existing downpipe fits.

My manifold is still holding up OK, but it doesn't get the use that yours does. Think I've only done a total of 4500 miles since building it 10 months ago.

Top job as always James, your ability to keep coming up with innovative solutions with nicely designed bits of metal still amazes me! Just no holding you back.

I'll keep you posted 8)

You two are lucky as you're both in the trade. I'm a computer nerd with a shoe box garage :-( :lol:

I like the idea of that tubular manifold you have Kev but hate the position of it,there is so much wasted space higher up and loads more clearance.so im busy making my own using the stock header and going to do a U-turn upto the T3 flange and the turbo can be placed how i want with no clearance issues.

Once im happy with it and when funds allow i will have it copied and made up like your tubular one. 8)

Few updates making progress with the chargecooler rad,its the size of an intercooler but very light! and its taken some fitting but its in now just some grill to trim and its done.

Also got my blank 8 bore fuel rail from the states 2ft long delivered for £39 and have had the injector holes and threads taped into the ends for £10..not bad me thinks :D its a bit overkill for fuel delivery but hey..future upgrades?! :lol:

DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

DSCN1438.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

Whats left of the rail..

DSCN1485.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

Nice work, that rad fits in there well 8)

Where did you get your fuel rail fittings from dude?

Awesome stuff James!

I like the rad, nice and snug 8) Looks like a decent capacity. Is it a custom rad or off something specific? Did you have to hack much out of the front, if anything?

Nice work, that rad fits in there well

Where did you get your fuel rail fittings from dude?

Got the fittings off fleabay,but had hassle from seller and have had wrong or incorrect fitting so i wont recommend them,i buy most stuff from the states,punctual,friendly cheap and ship fast...wish i could say the same for UK suppliers :?

Awesome stuff James!

I like the rad, nice and snug 8) Looks like a decent capacity. Is it a custom rad or off something specific? Did you have to hack much out of the front, if anything?

Cheers Dave,the rad was a universal one that i just thought ...I could make that fit and for 130 delivered from the states its a bargain! its a good size as well as adding a tank to rear in the futre this should have plenty capacity for cooling! not fussed what peep say about weight of charge cooler as ive lost more than ive put back on 8) :lol:

As for fitting...did i hack much out...lol....not as much as the intercooler! i will let the pics do the talking!

Before

DSCN1449.jpg

After

DSCN1455.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

Had to move the power steering pipe "cooler" lower down for space

DSCN1452.jpg

DSCN1453.jpg

Snug.... :lol:

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1467.jpg

Loving how this is coming on 8)

If i remember rightly you started this to be a cheap homemade, yet powerful VRT?

Now i see the prices you pay for stuff are cheap but is it working out to plan cost wise, basically is it still a budget conversion, i know its going to be a shed load cheaper than what most cost so thats all good still.

Ah.... now I can see what you've been up to :)

It's been a while since I had the bumper off and couldn't remember just how much is behind it :? or isn't now!

I just love the way you've hacked all that metal out but made it look really neat and tidy :notworthy: brilliant job!

All my fittings are from Fay at Speedflow. http://www.speedflow.co.uk She really knows her stuff and is happy to talk through different ways of changing from one fitting to the next to suit the application (even when she figures a better way that ends up with you not buying as many fittings :) ). Delivery is pretty much all ex stock and next day. I've never been let down, even with ultra urgent orders.

Loving how this is coming on 8)

If i remember rightly you started this to be a cheap homemade, yet powerful VRT?

Now i see the prices you pay for stuff are cheap but is it working out to plan cost wise, basically is it still a budget conversion, i know its going to be a shed load cheaper than what most cost so thats all good still.

Cheers mate,it is still a budget build,it would cost someone 5k to turbo a VR and then some! I hope to do that for 1500-2k? its still allot of money but most of that will be just for the GT35R,everybody could save loads be fabing up bits and bobs,its not that hard to do just time consuming... :(

But that's why i post what and how to do threads like this, as i love to read threads on Vortex and thats gives me ideas and so i will hopefully give back what i have learnt to the UK scene as its still quite small compared to the US!

Ah.... now I can see what you've been up to :)

It's been a while since I had the bumper off and couldn't remember just how much is behind it :? or isn't now!

I just love the way you've hacked all that metal out but made it look really neat and tidy :notworthy: brilliant job!

All my fittings are from Fay at Speedflow. http://www.speedflow.co.uk She really knows her stuff and is happy to talk through different ways of changing from one fitting to the next to suit the application (even when she figures a better way that ends up with you not buying as many fittings :) ). Delivery is pretty much all ex stock and next day. I've never been let down, even with ultra urgent orders.

Cheers Dave,im a niggler for been neat and tidy! :lol: Thanks for the link but the prices put me off so much so i will always buy from abroad,but thanks anyway! 8)

Always a down side. But IMO the service and quality are so good that I keep going back :) It's just difficult to turn away that dollar rate still.

Top work on the placement of that cooler, theres just no space down there...

its a shame that turbo manifold didn't work out as smoothly, but that is a Huge Turbo...

It is big,but even with a smaller turbo the clearance is crap!

Been playing with the valver,it had no antifreeze in and there have been a few nights its froze solid and cracked the screen allot more!! Sorted that with fresh antifreeze,belts and fixed the coolant leak.Going to get the screen sorted soon.

Got some lowering springs off reubenwilliams off here for a song! fitted them and was horrified on how bad the rear spring cups had rusted away!! they had been sitting on the body!

New ones ordered ASAP and now it sits well and handles soooooooooooooo much better 8)

DSCN1505.jpg

DSCN1506.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

DSCN1510.jpg

Eeeek!

Think I should listen to my valvers creaks and groans a bit more in furture (not just turn the radio on!). Which reminds me, I must look at all the front bushes, somethings floating around a bit.

Looking really nice James! Like the contrast of the black bits against the white.

Yes dont ignore the noises :lol: but this made no noise!

Just did this tonight,going to do the wastegate tomorrow then will get it tig welded,was going to use my mig but its well.....crap :lol:

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

Very nice James. As always wonderful job. 8)

So does this method mean you don't have to move the brake reservoir?

The angle of the exhaust outlet looks ideal. Looks like it'll drop down the back and under the car pretty easy.

Sure you've thought of this, but are you making a nice strong bracket from the cast manifolds to the charger flange, cos you know how hot those headers are going to get and they might get a bit soft and start cracking with all the exhaust hung on it?

Excellent stuff!

Top Work there, Manifold looks the business. 8)

More enough equal length to the flange, the wastegate should be interesting.

Have you trial fitting it to your car? just to make sure the bonnet shuts, looks to be ok thou.

What grade material are you using?

Cheers for the replys,the stainless is 304 and the flanges are mild steel,going to get the tig welded by a pro and fit support braces to help out and the bonnet shuts fine and loads to play with 8)

Doing the wastegate tonight,got the head back on for fitting and there is room and no fouling at all!

Dont know how long it will last but its not a daily car and if it does crack i will give the lot to a company to fab one the same using 341 stainless,but time will tell.

I will get more pics tonight when the wastegate is on.