Sign in to follow this  
DUBAI-VR6

Temp Problems - How hot is yours?

Sorry if this is a common Q but I tried to search and couldn't find anything.

Just got my Rado back after weeks in the garage.

Had a second hand auto box (they all are over here) fitted and also all the cooling system done (rad, senders, thermo, water pump etc).

Anyway she is a 1995 VR6 with 112,000 km on her but I am not sure if she is running too hot. Generally at sensible revs she sits at 116-122 degrees for the oil and about 90-100 degrees for the water.

Does this sound reasonable? Outside temp at the mo ranges from 32 ish at night to 45ish during the day (degs C).

So what I am looking for is what yours run at. Obv being in the UK where it is a tad cooler will help but any of you boys live in places with higher temps?

Cheers

Jam

Id say the water temps fine! As long as it stays between 90-100 and doesnt wonder off up to 110+! I was worried about the oil temp then realised your in dubai so you will probably see those type of temps!

The water temp is absolutely fine, but the oil temp seems a tad high (allthough still nothing to worry about) - obviously the ambient temp out there will have some sort of effect.

If I was you i'd have a Mocal oil cooler fitted.

Oil temps of ~120 wouldn't be uncommon if you're cruising at 80-90 mph - particularly in 45 degrees ambient air .. Might want to think about using fully synthetic oil though ... !

my oil temp is pretty much always 108-114?

is it worth getting an oil cooler? its a 1995 VR6 and i have curly hair

my oil temp is pretty much always 108-114?

is it worth getting an oil cooler? its a 1995 VR6 and i have curly hair

Only if it's ginger.

So (fingers crossed) having the water temp reach 110 and the fan kick in and the oil vary between 100 and 108 depending on how hard it was working would be ok? It was on a run from swindon to exeter and back on the only sunny day we had last week down the m4 and m5.

Ive got the sort of temp guage that happily moves on up whilst standing still then drops to below the 70 line when iget moving forward?

Cheers for the input guys.

Tonight I was giving it some and it hit 128 but that was after a blast of 200kmph and in 41 degrees C.

While during the day I was just cruising and it sits around 118 and that was in 47 degrees but it actually dropped while sat in traffic. If any of you guys wonder how hot that feels let me just say - lets just say fu*king hot, especially as today my AC decided to die........again! What a sweaty mess I was! Crusiing around with all the windows down and the sunroof open with my mush out the window.

I think I have an oil cooler (car is new to me so would have to check) but next oil change (3000km) I will take you advise for the fully synthetic.

Any prefered brands and grades I should aim for?

One thing tho, as a previously devoted Pug Gti man I cannot say how much I am enjoying the Rado. Next on the list is coil overs, susp componants and some stealth cooling aids in the bumper. May have to lose the front fogs methinks.

So (fingers crossed) having the water temp reach 110 and the fan kick in and the oil vary between 100 and 108 depending on how hard it was working would be ok? It was on a run from swindon to exeter and back on the only sunny day we had last week down the m4 and m5.

Ive got the sort of temp guage that happily moves on up whilst standing still then drops to below the 70 line when iget moving forward?

Your thermostat is stuck open. And quite possibly you are missing the two slow-speed fan stages. I've never seen over 100 degrees on the water temp gauge, no matter how hot it is, and no matter how long I've been sat in traffic.

Your oil temps are fine though ........

Oh great thats really cheered me up!..lol :D

so now i need new thermostat and a blue header cap..... :(

You need a new thermostat and probably a new thermo switch in the radiator .. could just be a fuse gone though. Do a search ..

the Neuspeed thermo switch is quite handy, the fan will kick in a nice 7 or so degrees early 8)

This is a nice idea ... if you have a thermostat that opens about 7 degrees cooler than standard. Otherwise the fan will just be on and off all day long...!

the Neuspeed thermo switch is quite handy, the fan will kick in a nice 7 or so degrees early 8)

This is a nice idea ... if you have a thermostat that opens about 7 degrees cooler than standard. Otherwise the fan will just be on and off all day long...!

I opted for the Neuspeed thermo switch but kept the stock thermostat because I thought teh engine might run a bit too cold in everyday driving unless youre hammering it around a track all day of coarse, my fan used to kick in at 100-105 degrees which is when I feel the matrix might think about exploding, now it kicks in at approx 95 degrees but it rarely gets to that temp anyway unless your driving really slow or stuck in traffic on a hot day :wink:

I opted for the Neuspeed thermo switch but kept the stock thermostat because I thought teh engine might run a bit too cold in everyday driving unless youre hammering it around a track all day of coarse, my fan used to kick in at 100-105 degrees which is when I feel the matrix might think about exploding, now it kicks in at approx 95 degrees but it rarely gets to that temp anyway unless your driving really slow or stuck in traffic on a hot day :wink:

Ah, you have a 16v.

The VR fans kick in at ~ 92-95 anyway, with the completely standard VW thermoswitch.

Had a second hand auto box (they all are over here) fitted and also all the cooling system done (rad, senders, thermo, water pump etc).

Anyway she is a 1995 VR6 with 112,000 km on her but I am not sure if she is running too hot. Generally at sensible revs she sits at 116-122 degrees for the oil and about 90-100 degrees for the water.

His vr clearly doesnt :wink:

I've seen 152deg on the race track and the engine didn't blow up so I wouldn't get too worried if you even see as much as 120deg on the road provided you're using synthetic oil.

I've had three VR6s now and they all ran at different temperatures (104deg-108deg-113deg in normal use) so the accuracy of the VW oil temp gauge is probably variable at best but I wouldn't get concerned at the numbers the OP has posted.

I have recently bought a standard G60 '91 - the coolant temp never gets alarmingly high - but was revving the car down through the gears and the oil temp light started flashing - and its never stopped when starting the next day - Does this mean I have a pressure problem? have I blown something?

Something to note is this light is also used as an indicator of the immobiliser being active on turning the ignition which you have to wait to go out before starting(not sure if this is somekind of botched job or typical?)

Dont have a owners manual

Any comments?

Most of the temp sender( the yellow one! in the thermo housing) is not accurate after all the years sitting in there they getting tired!

My mechanic has a very hight tech laser temp. reader gun and the fan kicks in at 92-94degrees when I point the gun on the rad hose! The temp in the car shows 98-100!! and I thought the fan only kicks in at 100 when I know the thermo swith in the rad should kick in at 92 and shut at 88.

Another mates VR6 always shows a low reading of only 85 when the fan kicks in and he also discovered it was 92 when change to new Yellow sender!!I have not got around to change the sender so I bet its the yellow sender that is giving us all false readings...

BTW my oil temp is about 105-116 on the move on idle in traffic its below a hundred as I have an oil cooler fitted as well, b4 the Oil cooler days it was between 8-10degrees higher. Also our ambient temp during the days are 33-36 degrees and night 25-30!