Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Moral dilemma

I ordered something for my C from a certain company in Canada (naming no names) and it seems they have only charged me once, but sent me the item twice.

Now, do I do the right thing and send the extra one back, or flog it to someone on here and make most of my money back? Bear in mind it cost almost 70 quid, hence the dilemma. If it was cheap I'd send it straight back.

(Sorry if this topic is in the wrong place.)

What's the ratio of the cost of the item compared to the cost of shipping it back?

Contact them. There's a good probability they won't even want it back if it costs much to ship.

Just call them and ask for them and see what they want to do.

Its best to be honest IMHO. There is every chance you might sell it on, and they find out their mistake a little later on down the line and chase it up! Put it this way.. you wouldn't be happy if they took double the payment from you and only sent you one item ;)

19:1. It would cost £3.50 to send back.

Think I'll contact them and see what happens from there. Its the right thing to do.

Gah, don't say that, i was al ready to give it back.

I know its off topic, but do your own posts appear in black and everyone else's in very dark grey? Or is it just my imagination?

It's a gift. They weren't very careful, so more fool them. Sell it

So as consumers we'd be upset if the shop stiffed us (ie sent us too little of a certain item) and would come on here to bitch about their crap service and demand the right quantity / items. When the boot is on the other foot, its their cock up and you should take advantage of their mistake?

Come on.. do the moral thing. They should cover any and ALL costs to recover the item, but at least give them the chance.

It doesn't belong to you, it belongs to them, to keep it is stealing......where's the dilema ?

In the reverse situation...you would expect people to be honest with you......I don't see the difference.

Contact 'em and tell them what's happened.....they may well tell you to keep it.....alternatively there may be some poor s*d who is waiting for the part to turn up, and wondering what's happened to it.

It's a gift. They weren't very careful, so more fool them. Sell it

So as consumers we'd be upset if the shop stiffed us (ie sent us too little of a certain item) and would come on here to bitch about their crap service and demand the right quantity / items. When the boot is on the other foot, its their cock up and you should take advantage of their mistake?

Come on.. do the moral thing. They should cover any and ALL costs to recover the item, but at least give them the chance.

Exactly. take advantage of their mistake.

He asked for opinions. That's mine.

We are stiffed and robbed and ripped-off as a matter of course in everyday life, be it legal or not.

So take a little back I say.

If it was an individual rather than a business it would be different.

Hey, my morals are a little 'looser' than some - that's what makes the world go round. I would take the extra item every time :)

If it was a big company (such as play or hmv) i would have no problem keeping it, but as a honest dubber, that's where the problem comes in (adaptable morals as double-6s says). Ooh hang on they've just emailed me and asked for it back.

I feel I've done the right thing, you all make good points for and against, but my concience is now clear. Guess I could always ask for some free stickers or something!

If it was a big company (such as play or hmv) i would have no problem keeping it, but as a honest dubber, that's where the problem comes in (adaptable morals as double-6s says). Ooh hang on they've just emailed me and asked for it back.

I feel I've done the right thing, you all make good points for and against, but my concience is now clear. Guess I could always ask for some free stickers or something!

Fair play mate. My conscience is clear anyway - it only becomes not so if i break MY moral code, not anyone else's! :)