Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

5th Gear Volvo crash - so

Is anyone really surprised by the results of 5th Gears crash with a Volvo 940 and a Renault Modus?

Just a bit annoying how they sold the Modus as being a super leightweight when its kerb weight is about the same as the Corrado at 1.2t and gross weight up over 1.5t. Versus 940's 1.37 kerb weight. Therefore we already knew the Modus, tested at 40mph into concrete in the N-cap, was going to do well. Obviously its sensible to choose a modern safe-rated car over and oldies of the same weight.

Still think much bigger cars/trucks will punt a Clio/Saxo etc back down the road. But thats luck of the draw - there are always bigger things on the road.

Now Coultards F1 car took a good head-on bashing at the weekend... ;)

was shocking to see how much difference there was :!

the pic they showed from above with red and blue lines showing how deformed the cars were scary :!

i still intend not to crash tho :lol:

Is anyone really surprised by the results of 5th Gears crash with a Volvo 940 and a Renault Modus?

Just a bit annoying how they sold the Modus as being a super leightweight when its kerb weight is about the same as the Corrado at 1.2t and gross weight up over 1.5t. Versus 940's 1.37 kerb weight. Therefore we already knew the Modus, tested at 40mph into concrete in the N-cap, was going to do well. Obviously its sensible to choose a modern safe-rated car over and oldies of the same weight.

Still think much bigger cars/trucks will punt a Clio/Saxo etc back down the road. But thats luck of the draw - there are always bigger things on the road.

Now Coultards F1 car took a good head-on bashing at the weekend... ;)

Indeed the modus was portrayed as a much lighter car but it obviously isnt. Mind you usual journo crap distorting the facts.

The crash test from the Corrado in 1984 shows much the same distortion as the Volvo but can anyone spot what is wrong with the interior picture?

Did anyone look at it like this. The modus crumpled as it should do but it was demonstrated that it cut through the volvo and used that cars crumple to absorb the impact. I would like to see it hit a modern car which statistically Its more likely to hit. A focus or such would attempt to cut its way into the modus. Just a thought. Either way, I have moved my seat as far from the danger end as possible!

More importantly, it's a Mk2 Golf dash!!

Good spot, wonder if the production corrado dash would come off worse or not as you sit furthur under it than a golf dash.

I'm not sure how the Corrado would compare to a mk3 golf which is the only car I've been unfortunate enough to smash. Made a good job of it too. Dozed off at the wheel on my way to work and went into the back of a ford galaxy at about sixty on a dual carriage way. I'm such a loser sometimes.... I was not aware but a witness said my car flipped into the air and everything. I couldn't believe how little damage to my car there was. The air bag went off obviously but the cabin was untouched. The dash didn't even move at all, or the footwell. I walked away from it. Whip lash for a couple of days after. That was it. I just kept thinking I should have had a big old 1.9 TDI engine in my lap and an instrument panel lodged in my sinus. Most fortunately the person I hit was unhurt too. I got a job in Ipswich and I now no longer commute to work. It scared the sh*t out of me and I avoid driving whilst tired at all costs.

The whole thing made me more concerned about driving an older car... statistically there must be more post-Rado motors chugging around the highwaysa and byways of Britain - so it must follow that any one of us is more likely to be in an incident with a newer car, which will (as per Modus) be built to withstand significantly greater impacts than any of our cars ever were. so technically, and depressingly we're at a greater risk for being in our cars than if we drove a dread Fukus, modern Golf or Vectra!??!

Isn't this all a bit hypothetical with NCAP though?

As real world crashes have an immense range of differences, not just the cars but road conditions, etc? And the all important angle of the impact.

Unfortunately we would be buggered if we crashed a C, just think yourself lucky you're not in a mk1 golf, they look like they would be crushed into a small cube!

Fortunately for me i dont plan on having a 40mph head on collision with anything in the near future.

Fortunately for me i dont plan on having a 40mph head on collision with anything in the near future.

me neither (*touch wood*)... 'if' $hit should happen, I'm relying on the prophesy of one Elwood Blues: "oh blessed lady of acceleration, don't fail me now..." 8)

looks like they fitted some spare Scirrocco wheels on that too.

As for crashing the C - what a horrid thought eh. As said, think its game over at higher speeds when met with somthing much larger. Think defensive driving is the safer option. That doesnt mean to say its full proof mind.

Think defensive driving is the safer option

That's certainly how I find myself driving when I'm in any one of my 3 toys, whereas in the company van, it's time pressures, moany customers, road rage with other rep cars and road warriors etc. :lol:

Tempest

Has anyone read Clarkson's book 'i know you've got soul'. He talks about when machines fail/crash he feels sorry for the loss of the machine as much as the victims, such as the Concorde being pulled from service.

I'd be the same with my C. If i damaged it beyond repair i would have a great sense of loss for it. Blooming cars, why cant it just feel like a car like my old clio did!

Having slammed my last Corrado into a very sturdy wooden power pylon at what must have been 45ish and walked away completely unscathed, I can say I wouldn't be too worried about things.

Yes they're old cars, yes if you hit something too fast and/or at the wrong angle you're going to make a mess, but how many people have you heard of that have been killed or injured in a crash in their Corrado?

Not that I'm recommending you do crash mind...