Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Ex-demo cars?

when i bought my corrado the chap said it was an ex-demo car that why it had the optional extras, and the R32 he replaced it with was also ex-demo?

does this affect the value of the car at all? is it looked upon as a plus point or a negative?

You can usually bag a bargain buying an ex-demo car that's only a few months old as it'll still be like new.

However, I don't know about you, but I'd suspect demo cars (especially sports coup

true, i spose it wouldn't make a difference, it certainly didn't influence me when viewing car, i just cared about the interior which i could see was there :lol:

When I was looking for an Alfa GTA I noticed that quite a few of the ex-demo cars had also had several owners since. More so than the non ex-demo cars.

Perhaps because the ex-demos had been ragged/generally treated with less care, so suffered more problems, and therefore sold on more regularly?

Who cares on a older car though! Like someone said, makes no difference really.

Mine was ex demo, and had the leather interior, and a towbar no other extras though.

Think dealerships will try to get a small range of specs of cars in, although this won't count so much for a fairly neiche car like the corrado.

I know of a few corrados that were ex demos, including I think a Storm...

one thing i'd like to find out, is that in 1992/1993 i went to the motorshow at the NEC and took pics of a corrado on show, it was a VR and in classic green, just like the one i have now.

but there is no way of finding out where that car is today :(

My valver was an ex-demo car, same guy owned it for 12 years before I bought it and it has no 'extra' problems. What it does have is electric cloth Reccaros, electric windows and a sunroof which were all extras at the time.

So as Dinkle said, it really does not matter now.

Demos normally have all the toys that might appeal to the mass market - like a showhome on a new housing development. The alternative is that they might be specced up to suit the sales manager for three months or if a customer has requested it.

My VXT was an ex-demo and it had every single extra on it. Bought it when it was a few months old and it felt a lot more tired than my old VX which had done 8k miles when I bought it. I'd always be more wary about a sports car demonstrator than a luxury/prestige motor. Different purchasing factors.

Today on a Corrado, it won't make an ounce of difference - might in actual fact add a little kudos, especially if the car still retains the original dealer plates.

As hinted at in the thread, I'd like to see how many of the press Corrados are still around...

So how many different people can say 'it makes no difference on an old car like a corrado'!! :)

well i'd like to start off by saying it makes no difference on an old car like a corrado..

as already said ex demo's are generally a good way of getting a car with lots of extras without paying a premium for them.

with MINI we sell our demo's very near to the full retail price, so you are still paying for the extras on the cars, but they hold value so well all you save is the on the road costs [about £600]

As to how they get treated? well, i'm not stupid! If i drove my car to redline with only 4 miles on the clock i'm not gonna admit to it on a public forum!

The way i see it, unless you're buying the car from the previous owner, you'll never get an idea of how it was driven before anyway, so it could be as bad or worse.. still it doesnt really make a difference on an older car anyway :lol:

Demo car = used by garage employees, salesperson, etc.

Coupe/Sport Demo car = thrapped by garage employees, salesperson.

Went to a local dealership recently and the sight of childs seat, shopping, in the demo Leon FR car parked out the back was a bit of a give away. :lol:

thats what i was kinda getting at, what does it really mean? does it mean every tom, dick and harry and dreamers who had a golf went to drive it and give it hell, or is it something that sits inside the showroom to be looked at? or like mentioned is a press car a totally different thing all together?

its just something i hear a lot of people say in a chuffed kinda way, "yeah its an EX-DEMO"

thats what i was kinda getting at, what does it really mean? does it mean every tom, dick and harry and dreamers who had a golf went to drive it and give it hell, or is it something that sits inside the showroom to be looked at? or like mentioned is a press car a totally different thing all together?

its just something i hear a lot of people say in a chuffed kinda way, "yeah its an EX-DEMO"

what does it really mean?

- it means it was a demonstrator vehicle for a garage and was likely also someones company car..

does it mean every tom, dick and harry and dreamers who had a golf went to drive it and give it hell..?

- Yes, they would've been used for demo drives, however most customers don't give them hell. At our place all demo's are assisted, so people drive sensibly as you're in the car with them.. it's often us encouraging people to push more out of the car so they can tell how they really drive. People are uneasy with ragging 20k of someone else car about..

or like mentioned is a press car a totally different thing all together? Yes. press cars would've been loaned to motoring press mostly before general release, so they can review the cars.

People bragging about ex-demo's will generally be showing off that they either have a well specced car, or bought it for a very good price.