Sign in to follow this  
fla

Handling on standard suspension

My VR is still on te standard shocks, but with TT comps. Going round a rounabout it always feels as though the rear end want to swing out. I've not got round to fitting the Konis yet but just recently i had to let a chav mobile by becuase of this. Is that normal? We always rave about the superb handling of the C, but this just didnt feel right.

Sounds like a case of shagged rear axle bushes to me.

Get 'em swapped and it'll feel far more planted :)

Edit: What he said :lol:

i've had the same recentely, found it hard to keep up with little vans and small cars round the bends, turns out i have a leaking shock at the rear, kept felling like the back end was about to swing out, felt very odd.

it was a very good handling car before all the suspension problems, had body roll, but that didn't lead to any loss in grip

i miss it tbh

Depends on who you talk to :lol:

Personally, I'd go for VAG ones, but either way you're going to struggle to fit them yourself without the special tool.

fla i'd diagnose worn rear axle bushes too, when the c is on point handling is amazing i know this from my old 16v which was totally stock when i got it. My vr has the same issue as you, when taking high speed bends the back feels really unpredictable. I had a look under the car and the rear bushes are totally degraded.

Its on my to do list to sort out, people fit powerflex bushes as they are easy to fit as they don't need to be pressed in... down side is a crashier ride from the rear. Im going to fit genuine vag bushes but these need to be pressed in which make things complicated. I'm going to try and do this my self with a home made puller but if not then i'll just take my axle to someone with a press. its worthwhile doing as if you get the handling sorted on the c as it was how it came out the factory then its a really fun car to drive.

Depends on who you talk to :lol:

Personally, I'd go for VAG ones, but either way you're going to struggle to fit them yourself without the special tool.

If you were talking to me about these i would say get the uprated powerflex 1's, it is only slightly more crashy tbh

Zak,

Let me know when you do your bushes - i might pop down and give you a hand if i can, and in the process see how easy/hard it is. Whereabouts in W London are you?

Zak,

Let me know when you do your bushes - i might pop down and give you a hand if i can, and in the process see how easy/hard it is. Whereabouts in W London are you?

Ditto!!...I have a spare rear beam that I'm going to be fitting new bushes to in the next week or so! Would be handy to see what's involved, and what sort of home made tool can be made!

I made up a puller from a large/long bolt or threaded rod and a variety of large washers and bit of metal for packing against the angled lip of the bush, a pretty poor diagram below. It worked well though, darn sight easier than cutting the old ones out, that took ages with burning out the rubber and carfeully hack-sawing the outer part of the bush left in the beam, that's where the VW tool comes into it's own.

bush fitting sketch.gif[/attachment:0b423]

Zak,

Ditto!!...I have a spare rear beam that I'm going to be fitting new bushes to in the next week or so! Would be handy to see what's involved, and what sort of home made tool can be made!

It would be good to meet up with some other C owners in the area :)

Yeah, definitely! 8)

guys my cars im the body shop this coming week, i'll be looking at doing it in about 3 - 4 weeks time. I'll let you guys know closer to the time if you want to come round. I had a look at my rear beam bushes today while i had the rear jacked up whilst i was changing my wheel bearings and they are totally shot. The bush has disintegrated... explains the crashiness from the back!

btw the picture of the tool is exatly what i had in my head 8)

Yeah, definitely! 8)

:offtopic: Mimms meet's not too far and we always have a good turn out of Rado's (they outnumber golfs still!)