Sign in to follow this  
j16jrf

vr6 engine a bit tappety

ok I am going for new tappets from GSF tomorrow.

What else should i be doing when i have the engine in bits to fit the tappets?

eg do I do the chain tensioners? what all could I be doing here?

ps its a 1995 vr6 with 98k on the clock

Thanks

Jamie

Changing the tappets is a relatively simple job, changing the timing chains is a pretty large job, so have a dig around on the knowledge base - I think there's a procedure someone kindly documented. Be prepared..

Make sure the tappets are made by INA and you get 12 of them (GSF usually sell you 8 no matter what engine it is)

Also, if they place the box on the counter with the 'This side up' arrow pointing down just walk out (mate did this last week)

so just inspect the chains guides then lol rather than going the whole hog and replacing them.

There is no guide for doing the tappets :( how long should this take including stripping and building?

Make sure the tappets are made by INA and you get 12 of them (GSF usually sell you 8 no matter what engine it is)

Also, if they place the box on the counter with the 'This side up' arrow pointing down just walk out (mate did this last week)

Probably a stupid question regarding the box, but whys that?

They come filled with oil (ready primed)

VW spares sell them much cheaper than GSF but then you have the same problem with the royal mail...

Out of interest how do you know the tappets are knackered? I had bad tappet sounds on my old engine and it turned out the oil pick up was blocked. Its probably worth checking the oil pressure before you spend the time and money mate.

so just inspect the chains guides then lol rather than going the whole hog and replacing them.

There is no guide for doing the tappets :( how long should this take including stripping and building?

Oh that reminds me, I took some pics when I did my tappets and cams, really need to write that up sometime. Job for the weekend perhaps :)

mate that would be good if you could do that, im going to do mine soon so would be helpful.

How long did it take you??

Cheers,

Andy