Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

VR6 MAF from GSF

Im trying to buy a MAF sensor on here second hand but its proving to be tough so decided to go see in GSF and see if they can help.

They can do a MAF (VAG part 021 906 462)sensor but doesnt look like mine. Think its the later model MAF. But after reading on here some people have mangaged to use these on VR's equiped with different (early maf)

my engine is an ABV 1995 (ish) OBD1. not sure of MAF part number as its stored at my parents house. Any one have pictures of the different MAF elements?

Also I am right in thinking that the MAF can reduce MPG if its malfunctioning?

thanks

You are correct the MPG can drop if the MAF is dodgy.

IIRC the very late VR6 MAF is available from GSF, it's the early hot-wire type that's not. There's a "definitive" thread somewhere about it, I don't remember the details now.

I tried looking for the "definative MAF " thread but had no luck with an answer. Just need soemone who has fitted a later MAF to an early equipt one to say if they are interchangeable.

I may have sourced one that I need anyway. thanks

You tried VW for a price?? - may not apply to this but most MAF's for MK4's are £40 - £60 where GSF / Euro are charging twice the price...

I don't think early and late MAFs are interchangeable. They have a completely different method of operation, and require a different connector plug.

Yeah as far as i know if you have one type, you can't use the other type, end of.

Different altogether aren't they?

Where are you mate? Try a dub breakers - 40 quid or so guranteed .

They can do a MAF (VAG part 021 906 462)sensor but doesnt look like mine.

That's an OBD2 MAF, but should work on any 95 Corrado with the 4 pin MAF.

Pre95 MAFs are 6 pin.

They don't interchange, end of, as the others have said.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere - not on this site, where one guy replaced the internals from a new £40 MAF and put it in a VR6 one. Apparently the internal components had the same part number but different housings between them.

Can't find the thread though, sure it was on Vortex.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere - not on this site, where one guy replaced the internals from a new £40 MAF and put it in a VR6 one. Apparently the internal components had the same part number but different housings between them.

Can't find the thread though, sure it was on Vortex.

Indeed, but that was for the MAF from a late beetle 16v and a late Corrado VR6. The internal parts are the same because they're both 4-wire "hot film" MAFs.

The beetle MAF was cheap because VW HQ had a run on the parts under warranty, and they reduced the price to cut down their "losses" under warranty claims.

You can't fit the elements of other MAFs into the 6 pin one.

The 6 pin ones can be had from Bosch for £150 exchange. You need to find a Bosch dealer in your area. Anywhere that does engine tuning etc should have Bosch accreditation.

VW will charge you £330+VAT for a 6 pin MAF and 2 of those buys you a standalone ECU and you dump the stupid MAF once and for all ;-)