Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Quick 24v Quiz

Same part number for the casting on several engines it seems, plus the valve gear differs by engine code.

If someone who's taken one apart would care to take a look?

No one?

Let me just look in my notebook.... LOL.. Who the feck is going to know that information!?? Why not ask on a forum that has 1000s of these engines in use, such as UKMK4s! There's only about 3 or 4 people on here with 24V Rados and only 2 of those fitted them themselves..... but whether they stripped the heads off and examined the part numbers or not.....highly unlikely!

I'd actually like to find out...

Cryptic as ever. Why not help your cause and tell us what car it's from, what year, what model etc! Might help narrow down the search a bit! :lol:

Number 6 valves looking a tad oily there? Some things never change, LOL!

Sigh... :help:

The reason I'm asking is that I don't know it's history - it was in a box of what was supposed to be 12v bits.

So, to summarise: I know it's a 24v head from a VW 6-cylinder engine, but I don't know which one. I have put up some pictures of what seems to be its main recognition points in the hope that someone who knows might be able to help... :?

AFAIK the head is either from an R32 or a 2.8 24v. ;)

I didn't strip my engine before fitting so can't help further, but what other VW 24v 6 cylinder VR6 engines exist?

Dutch

If it has the air adapter shown in the attached pic. then acording to my ETKA it's a BDE head (2.8 24v - and mine has this adapter)

If it doesn't then it's a BDF (R32) head.

Dutch

No worries. So what's it from then ? :)

...I would guess it's from an early AYU engine, which is without vvt, as the last letter of the part no. is an A. If you look at ETKA the latest BDE head code ends with a C and the R32 a D, other than that they are the same.

Dutch

Well, it's a 2.8 based on the info you sent.

The bits on the ends of the camshaft look a bit complicated to be fixed timing though.

The mystery deepens... :D

Hard to tell, but looking at it I can't see any hardware for vvt. The tensioner is there - is that what you mean by looking complicated ?

Dutch

I was wondering about the thingummy on the righthand of the two camshafts. Could be part of a cam position sensor I suppose.

2.8 24v without VVT then.

Cheers!

If it were vvt there would be two electric adjusting valves sitting between the 2 cogs with wiring connectors, about where the tensioner is on yours. I can't see them in the photo you posted. The thingummy you mention is for the cam position sensors (edit: sensor as there's only one with no vvt) :)

Dutch

...looking at my russex manual for the 24v vr6 engine the vvt head has only one chain for the cams that runs down to the crank. The head you posted has 2 hence the second cog on the exhasut cam for the second chain that connects to the crank.

Dutch