Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

Cost of paying someone to get more out of VR6?

At the weekend I test drove a 2003 mk4 golf r32 which had received an AMD remap and I think stage 3 upgrade to deliver 285 brake and loads of torque.

It was on at 15 grand (which I think is pretty good given the cost of the work at AMD) and drove superbly with only 30,000 miles.

I wondered what sort of money would be required to get similar levels of power and torque from my unmodified VR6. I have uprated the engine mounts to vibratechnics to handle any potential power hikes I feel like doing, but right now don't know what I'm looking at paying the likes of the Phirm to do this work.

How's best to do this? turbo? supercharger?

Anything normally aspirated is going to be lots of dosh for very little gains, such as:

Shrick VGI ~ £1000 + remap (£300?)

Shrick cams (e.g. 268s) ~ £800 + remap

Those two combined will give you at most 50bhp more and stretch your existing torque curve down to around 2k rpm.

Otherwise you're into supercharger and turbo territory. The more common, thus slightly easier of the two is to supercharge it, which is going to cost somewhere aruond £1500-£2000 and get you something in the region of 150bhp extra with similar torque.

Vortech and Z-Engineering seem to be the people that supply most of them, but I'd have a look at the forced induction VR6 thread for better info on that.

£15K is a rip off for a MK4 R32 imo. I'd rather pay £19K for a used MK5 R32 which has 250hp to start off with and a much better chassis.

As for getting 285hp out of a VR6, get a Rotrex Supercharger kit on it.

I agree with gayspires - mk4 r32s are a bloody con. Can't believe how expensive they are. Guess that's good if you own one, but not for buying.

Not too sure about a vortech or z engineering charger adding 150bhp either? More like 80 isn't it?

MkIV R32s are holding thier value so well simply because the MkV R32 looks like such a bloody breadvan.

But don't take my word for it - sales of the MkV R32 are substantially lower than was the case with the MkIV, and indeed the MkV has been such a sales problem for Volkswagen that development of the MkVI is currently being rushed forward so it can be released before the end of 2008 (instead of the original early 2010 plan)

BTW I was fortunate enough on Monday to be taken out in Guy's R32 Turbo (MkIV). 380bhp - absolutely fabulous :)

MkIV R32s are holding thier value so well simply because the MkV R32 looks like such a bloody breadvan.

But don't take my word for it - sales of the MkV R32 are substantially lower than was the case with the MkIV, and indeed the MkV has been such a sales problem for Volkswagen that development of the MkVI is currently being rushed forward so it can be released before the end of 2008 (instead of the original early 2010 plan)

BTW I was fortunate enough on Monday to be taken out in Guy's R32 Turbo (MkIV). 380bhp - absolutely fabulous :)

Yes, it ws the nasty appearance of the Mk5 R32 that put me off it. The Mk4 looks a lot better to me - the stance is spot on.

However, rumours of the R36 (also known as the RS)- see photo below - mean that there could finally be a Mk5 'R' car I'd buy. However, given that it's going to be a while until it is released, and even longer before I can afford a second hand one, I think the Mk4 is the way to go for me.

golfrsi.jpg

It sounds from the various suggestions that I am looking at 3-4 grand to get the power I need, and that is without the better brakes, airbags etc. So for now I think I'll get the Mk4 on the 'never never' and save up separately for the turbo kit for the Corrado!

Thanks Dinkus, Cheesewire, Double 6s and Corozin for your wise words (plus anyone else I've missed) It's definitely given me food for thought :)