Sign in to follow this  
bill

vr6 turbo v's 20v turbo

At current i have a clio williams which is soon to go up for sale, once i've sorted a few things out on it, as my next car i fancy something very quick with looks to match, the corrado seems to fit the bill nicely, although it would have to be turbo charged in some way or another, and looking throught the for sale section they seem to be within my budget, got my heart set on a 20v turbo converted corrado tbh, as the engine seems very tuneable and reliable from what i can gather, but noticed quite a few of you turbo charge the vr, so ( can of worms no doubt ) which is the better/quicker/better potential car? would be hopeing for around the 270/280 bhp mark, is the vr6 turbo conversion a bit hard to come by? there seems to be plenty of 20v turbo's knocking around!

How would 280bhp in a corrado compare to say a new m3/scooby sti etc, etc.............

And, hi by the way.............. 8)

There was a car featured in Practical Performance Car 3-4 months ago where the owner had dropped a VW 1.8T into his 15v Clio. Apparently it wasn't too big a job either.

This might sound like heresy, but frankly you'd have a lot more fun car if you did that, provided you can insure the result

for that sort of power you are after a 20 vt will do just fine,and is good for alot more hp when you start spending a bit more.

But im very bais and VRT's are for me all the way,pull very hard,built solid and with no internal work besides headspacer and arp bolts are good for 400+ and then after with rods ect are good for 600hp ++++ 8)

20vt are plug and play,VR6 turbo are not and gettong a kit that will fit a right hand drive kit is hard and mostly poor quality parts,but you can find all the bits and make it up yourself like most on here but its not that cheap or mabey just supercharge it like many on here,lots of options.

But the easier one would be 20 VT

Be a rebel and turbo a KR lump. Bahn Brenner sell full conversion kits, they come in at around £2k. 280bhp is easily achievable so im led to believe, although that maybe completely incorrect as i havent properly looked into things

20v turbo sounds like the most less hassle so far and easier to come buy, as for dropping one in the clio, would love to, saw the magazine in question, cars on pistonheads at the minute, but as they eat gearbox's with 150bhp, i wouldn't like to double it at £800 notes a do, really dont want to get rid of the williams, but i want some m3 slaying performance!

and i think the reason the 20v appeals most is the fact that its a factory engine, so should be reliable, rather than bolting a turbo on and hoping for the best lol

ps. just realised the 20v clio uses a vw box :shock:

20VT is the easier option by far for the power you are looking for, and massively cheaper.

You can pick up a 225hp 1.8T lump for less than £1k and a Qpeng standalone ECU for another £500 or so, plus a cheap 16V Corrado for £1500 and you'll have 280hp for £3K.....providing you install it yourself, which isn't that difficult.

Exceeding 280hp on the 1.8T starts getting expensive though. You'll need a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, more mapping work, stronger rods, stronger valves, bigger bore exhaust manifold etc etc.

At that point it's worth looking at the VR6 Turbo. It's a well proven modification. There are 1000s of VR6 turbos in America and Germany and parts are plentiful. Some RHD specific parts, such as the turbo manifold are hard to get , but there are other options.

It's a good conversion, not difficult and not that expensive either - depending on your choice of turbo and ancilleries. You don't need a modern $1300 GT turbo, a good old $500 T3/T4 or T04E will work just as well.

My mate's 3.0 Golf Rallye VR6 turbo chews it's tyres up in 5th gear in the wet and he's running an old T04E.

How would 280bhp in a corrado compare to say a new m3/scooby sti etc, etc.............

A 1.8t running 280 brake wouldn't have any trouble keeping up, but it wouldn't blitz past them either, but it depends how modded they are, the Scoob in particular.

VR6 turbos are something else. Depending on where you set the boost level and how much grunt you can put down, you can pretty much destroy anything.

The VRT has a LOT more displacement to spin that turbo up you see and 6 pot turbos just have a lot more legs at high rpms, especially with a T04 or GT35. 1.8Ts tend to run out of puff past 5500rpm unless you run a big bastid turbo on them.

And of course, the VRT is infinitely more charismatic than the 1.8T ;-)

Well, i wouldn't be doing any work myself as i wouldnt have a clue to be honest, so its either buy one already done or send it off to get converted, i thought the 20v just needed a remap to get to 280bhp ( ignore that, miss read ). the vr6 turbo sounds very appealing especially after reading about richard barrons mk3 golf vr6 turbo!

how much would it cost roughly to convert a vr6 to a turbo?

cheers

As you said your not upton doing the work yourself, id guess the cost involved with labour to fit aand buy a turbo kit would be around 3-4K. If you find a cheapish VR with some nice mods already completed, you could save even more money not having to buy brakes, suspension, wheels etc.

Liking the above 3 comments, theres some stunning corrado's about if you look hard enough, i wouldn't buy a car without the above mods to be honest, suspension in particular, and wheels would be a nice bonus, gonna have to see what the willy fetches and see what i can put towards it, and have a good look around at whats on offer, thankfully i've just purchased a 106 diesel as a daily driver so i'm in the position to get something a bit special ( hopefully ) for the weekends! 8)